Windows 7 is not detecting a windows XP PC connected via LAN

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Hii everyone. I have two PC's, one has windows 7 64bit another has windows XP 32bit. Second PC is the older one thats why XP is best for that. Now i made a LAN between this PC's. But the problem is that the win 7 PC or win XP PC both can't detect each other :( . but while i was using windows XP in both of the PC's then they are detecting each other and also working fine :eek: . There has no problem in the LAN connection that I'm sure. Please help me in this situation :hello: . Advance thanks...... :)

pragyan

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2011

:eek:

u better upgrade your old machine so that it can support windows 7 .... if you can make a lan somehow between two PCs... u will face many problems :bounce: :kaola:

That's not true. I have XP Pro and Win 7 Ultimate and have no problems accessing each other. Just make sure they are both in the same workgroup, the IP addresses are on the same subnet, and both have file & printer sharing enabled.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

will you tell me the steps elaborately please. i did the workgroup name same. but still i can't access. if you tell me the steps then i can check them. please help me

I don't know your network setup, but if you have a router that is set to run a DHCP server then your IP addresses should be correct.

To see what your computers current IP address is, open a command prompt and type in ipconfig. Check the IP address. It will most likely be something like 192.168.2.x where x is a number between 1 and 255. Anyhow, the first three numbers of the IP address should be the same on both computers.

To enable file and printer sharing:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

It's worth remembering that Windows 7 isn't as efficient as XP in networking because the Service that looks around for computers which joined the network since it last looked doesn't go looking as often in 7 as it did in XP

Sometimes, before thinking you've done it wrong and start changing settings, it pays to open the Windows 7 Control Panel and go to Administrative Tools>Services, scroll to Computer Browser Service and click to Stop it then click to Start again. That starts the process off and might find XP.

Are you set in Network and Sharing Centre so that Windows 7 doesn't expect all the other machines in the network passwords? Scroll past File and Printer Sharing to the bottom of the list and make the appropriate change.

jayadratha

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009

I checked the ip settings though it is set to DHCP. they are correct. i also give the same name of workgroup both the pc's. but i can't access neither from XP to 7 nor from 7 to xp. :??: :cry: please help me