Sign in with
Your question

The 8-Core K10, 4x4 , 4 card R600 Rig. .Intel has no answer?

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2007 11:20:22 AM

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37484

Looks like AMD has gotten 4 card quad core r600 to work.

Picture this rig in H2 07

(2) K10 (Barcelona) 8 cores total
(4) R600 2800xtx 4 cores total
4 gigs DDR2-1066
Asus 4x4 motherboard
1500 Watt Power Supply

THis setup...while ridiclous in cost and power demands....will be possible in 2007. Only the rich will own one.. The Lambourgini of Rigs.
So the Uber high end..and world record breaking machine without peer will be from the AMD camp. Intel just doesnt have the platform to match it on the Graphic end.

However INTEL could really create the V8 in response.
February 7, 2007 11:36:03 AM

When I turn on the vacuum cleaner, it startles my baby boy. The noise gets quite annoying after a while. :D 

What ever happenned to silent computers (disregarding the harddrive)?
February 7, 2007 11:46:04 AM

Quote:

4 gigs DDR2-1066
Asus 4x4 motherboard
1500 Watt Power Supply

THis setup...while ridiclous in cost and power demands....will be possible in 2007. Only the rich will own one.. The Lambourgini of Rigs.
So the Uber high end..and world record breaking machine without peer will be from the AMD camp. Intel just doesnt have the platform to match it on the Graphic end.

Translation:

AMD 0WNZ INTEL!!!1!!
\
Peasant Pope

Unlike AMD who TALKS about selling a dual socket 8 core machine ... Intel will have been SELLING them for 8 months by the time Barcelona rolls out 8)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
February 7, 2007 11:52:27 AM

Quote:

4 gigs DDR2-1066
Asus 4x4 motherboard
1500 Watt Power Supply

Funny thing. When an "Intel Fanboi" mentions quad core, "AMD Fanbois" say its pointless and not needed, yet 8 cores are needed?

Anyway, nice rig if it does work, shame no one will buy it. Not going to make profit here AMD.

Intel have never tried to match 4x4. V8 was a piss take just to show what wasted time can produce.

Anyway i don't see any of these on newegg?
February 7, 2007 12:03:24 PM

Quote:
Anyway, nice rig if it does work, shame no one will buy it. Not going to make profit here AMD.

Oh your sooooo wrong. The whole point of 4x4 was for barcelona. What 4x4 is now, was just a holdover till barcelona.

I bet Intel is working on their answer right now.

Haha, you seriously think the billions are going to be made selling multi socket multi gpu desktop systems?

Oh please!

This system will cost too much for the majority to buy it. Intel will throw something together to mock AMD.
February 7, 2007 12:14:05 PM

would you like an electric franchise with your order sir??
February 7, 2007 12:22:59 PM

So in an environment where everyone wants their computers to run quietly and with little power, you think coming out with something that requires more than a KW is going to be a good thing? :roll:

Believe me, the CPU companies may like breaking records, but heat/power consumption aren't good records to break.
February 7, 2007 12:45:42 PM

Quote:
Haha, you seriously think the billions are going to be made selling multi socket multi gpu desktop systems?

I dont think I made any reference to BILLIONS being made on it.

Quote:
This system will cost too much for the majority to buy it.

So is quad core, but you already see seveal people on this forum with them dont you?

Now you are comparing a single cpu to a whole system. Thats exatcly my point.
Now make that 2 Quad core cpus and 4 top of the line graphics cards...

...Intel are worried why?

Intel's quad core is not as expensive anymore either...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Submit=EN...

These are available to buy today
Plus you can drop one of those into an existing 775 system. You don't have to buy QuadCore though, you can buy one of Intel's high performance dual core offerings.

Maybe AMD should focus more on where the money is rather than where they wish the money was.
February 7, 2007 12:55:40 PM

if an intel quad core is currently $1000+, a brand new AMD quad core will likely start around there, and if it has better performance it will probably cost even more. im thinking were gonna be talking at least $1200 initially for a single quad core. price will come down eventually, but it will take many months. in the meantime, it costs you $2400 just for the processors. thats a wee bit steeper then the intel quad.

HOWEVER: i could see this 4x4 as the new SLI and crossfire. people buy the board because it has the capability to do 4x4 and provides what people see as a cheap upgrade path. by the time they're ready to upgrade though, its obsolete. just like how it works with SLI. by the time you're ready to pop that second card in, its more efficient to just buy a new single cards. why did i spend my money on an SLI board?
February 7, 2007 1:30:35 PM

my thoughts on the subject: useless

what a waste of money
February 7, 2007 1:42:03 PM

Quote:

Not available yet, designed for servers not desktops, and will be expensive.
Quote:

Not available yet. The date keeps getting pushed back.
Quote:
4 gigs DDR2-1066

Ultra low latency DDR2 -1066 isn't all that available, and its super expensive compared to DDR2 800
Quote:
Asus 4x4 motherboard

Meant for AM2 (940) not K8L/K10 (1207). Expensive
Quote:
1500 Watt Power Supply

Not too available, expensive, and why the hell are we going for more power usage when the trends are pointing to lower usage?
February 7, 2007 1:47:54 PM

What is there to answer to? Like Intel is going to bother trying to compete with AMD over the 3 people that will buy this thing...
February 7, 2007 1:55:13 PM

Quote:

Not available yet, designed for servers not desktops, and will be expensive.
Quote:

Not available yet. The date keeps getting pushed back.
Quote:
4 gigs DDR2-1066

Ultra low latency DDR2 -1066 isn't all that available, and its super expensive compared to DDR2 800
Quote:
Asus 4x4 motherboard

Meant for AM2 (940) not K8L/K10 (1207). Expensive
Quote:
1500 Watt Power Supply

Not too available, expensive, and why the hell are we going for more power usage when the trends are pointing to lower usage?

We all know he meant in six or seven months...no need to be antagonistic.

I would like to take the time now to express how annoyed I am at the graphics card industry who, in their quest to beat the other company, have completely disregarded power thresholds. I can't even imagine a 1.5Kw PSU for a gaming computer. That's just insanity. Almost a full Kw would be going to the graphics cards in a quad-crossfire setup. There is so much wrong with that.
February 7, 2007 2:19:30 PM

External Graphics anyone???? not using usb of course....but a slot extension and direct connection to the high voltage power lines.... just need sillicon gates that stay shut at 200Kvolts :idea:
February 7, 2007 3:38:40 PM

but that AMD rig when available will be the world record holder and AMD will use that to say AMD is the fastest...

like a medal on there chest that INTEL, as of current roadmaps, will not be able to respond to....

ofcourse only the uber rich will buy one.... but ALIENWARE and FALCON do have a market
February 7, 2007 3:48:50 PM

Quote:

4 gigs DDR2-1066
Asus 4x4 motherboard
1500 Watt Power Supply

Geez, what an insipidly stupid post. There have already been a few quad sli capable motherboards out. iirc, with an Intel processor at first. All it would take is for the MOTHERBOARD manufacturer to add another cpu socket, and there would be an 8 core intel system with quad sli (on 4 separate cards). Why waste your time posting something that doesn't exist yet, and then say "Intel doesn't have the platform to match it" when the platform doesn't even exist yet for the Barcelona core? People complain about Intel's monopolizing tactics. Can you imagine what would happen if AMD decided to not support Intel cpus anymore now that they bought ATI? It isn't going to happen. Are you just trying to get flamed?

I can come up with all sorts of things in my head, but until reality catches up it doesn't matter much.

Centurion
February 7, 2007 3:51:44 PM

i am sorry this thread got you so emotional.
February 7, 2007 3:59:08 PM

i didn't read every1's reply but didn't the "V8" that intel cooked up only have one 16x port on it? what good is 8 cores and one gpu?? i mean obviously you can do tons of other stuff BUT WHAT ABOUT THE GAMERS?!
February 7, 2007 3:59:11 PM

Quote:
What is there to answer to? Like Intel is going to bother trying to compete with AMD over the 3 people that will buy this thing...

QFX seems to be selling well as several vendors, including Newegg, have run out of chips and mobos at various times. Only Alienware has not released theirs yet.
February 7, 2007 4:21:14 PM

Quote:

Hey, make that FOUR people. I'm buyin' a 2xQuad from either Intel or AMD this summer. Waitin' to see what's out by then. And I couldn't give a good damn if it sucks up more electricity than my gf's triplephase jackhammer vibrator. :lol: 
February 7, 2007 4:23:00 PM

Quote:
but that AMD rig when available will be the world record holder and AMD will use that to say AMD is the fastest...

like a medal on there chest that INTEL, as of current roadmaps, will not be able to respond to....

ofcourse only the uber rich will buy one.... but ALIENWARE and FALCON do have a market

If you live in the north this baby would be great for gaming on those cold winter nights 1000+ watts of heat into a room gonna be really toasty. Heck I could heat my whole basement with this baby....
February 7, 2007 4:28:41 PM

Quote:
And I couldn't give a good damn if it sucks up more electricity than my gf's triplephase jackhammer vibrator. :lol: 

What the heck does she need you for? :p 
February 7, 2007 4:29:17 PM

Quote:
All of the hardware mentioned here is giving me a bonner.

(O_o)... Ewww
February 7, 2007 4:30:14 PM

Quote:
And I couldn't give a good damn if it sucks up more electricity than my gf's triplephase jackhammer vibrator. :lol: 

To pay the light bill, what else? :wink:
February 7, 2007 4:34:05 PM

it must have tremendous startup amp requirements...
February 7, 2007 4:39:08 PM

Quote:

Burn.
February 7, 2007 4:41:15 PM

Quote:

Tell me about it. If only QFX supported 8GB RAM, I'd have at least one chip by now.
February 7, 2007 4:45:23 PM

What would an electric bill be like with one of these??
February 7, 2007 4:49:35 PM

Quote:
i am sorry this thread got you so emotional.

Let me put my tissues away before I respond....
Why can't people respond to my posts with something more than stuff like this? I posted a reply to halbhh and he comes up with "You seem to have a lot more interest and energy in it, actually, Centurion, than I do. " and some other useless stuff afterwards. Now I am too emotional.

lordpope, you seem to have a habit recently of posting slightly inflammatory/pro one-camp stuff and adding comments at the end like "Intel has no answer", or "free fab for AMD on Intel" without doing some minor research before posting.

If that is your intent, then go with it. No one is deleting threads here. I just find all these various posts amusing and respond to them, which I am assuming is what people want when they post a topic. If my amusement seems to be too emotional, I will attempt to rephrase my posts into simpler terms and withhold the use of adjectives or other modifiers so that they are easier to under without the encumbrance of embellished wording.

Centurion
February 7, 2007 4:50:55 PM

Nahh... fire away, however you want. Within reason of course.
February 7, 2007 4:57:05 PM

Quote:
What would an electric bill be like with one of these??

High!!!! 1000 watts is a kilowatt times the number of hours used gives you kilowatt-hours times your utility rate.
February 7, 2007 4:57:10 PM

Quote:

Burn.

Damn, that's twice today I let myself wide open for a spankin'. First time was when 1Tanker called me on "Penis Fly Trap." Now this. :lol: 
February 7, 2007 5:00:17 PM

Quote:

Tell me about it. If only QFX supported 8GB RAM, I'd have at least one chip by now.

I'd be seriously considering buying an FX-74 QFX if it could be loaded up with 8GB RAM. Any chances of that happening anytime soon?
February 7, 2007 5:02:10 PM

Quote:

Burn.

Damn, that's twice today I let myself wide open for a spankin'. First time was when 1Tanker called me on "Penis Fly Trap." Now this. :lol: 
Always happy to insult/diss/make fun of/demean/jest you. :wink:
February 7, 2007 5:06:20 PM

Unless this beast is gonna start cooking some pop tarts and pizza pops for me.. don't tell anyone I told you, Intel's plan is to box some monkeys, their brains have astronomical computational powers, that's what Deep Blue was, they're copying IBM, shhhhhhh.
February 7, 2007 5:07:46 PM

Quote:
Unless this beast is gonna start cooking some pop tarts and pizza pops for me.. don't tell anyone I told you, Intel's plan is to box some monkeys, their brains have astronomical computational powers, that's what Deep Blue was, they're copying IBM, shhhhhhh.

There you go, it's an after market toaster oven too. :D 
February 7, 2007 5:09:40 PM

Quote:

Always happy to insult/diss/make fun of/demean/jest you. :wink:

That's why I hang around here. It was suggested by my therapist. He felt that I was getting over-confident with all the chicks telling me all the time how I was the best they'd ever had, that I should go hang out somewhere I could be humiliated on a daily basis. Thank goodness for THG maintaining my mental health! :lol: 
February 7, 2007 5:13:12 PM

Quote:
That's why I hang around here. It was suggested by my therapist. He felt that I was getting over-confident with all the chicks telling me all the time how I was the best they'd ever had, that I should go hang out somewhere I could be humiliated on a daily basis. Thank goodness for THG maintaining my mental health! :lol: 

Does your girlfriend with the George Foreman Dildo read these boards? :lol: 
February 7, 2007 5:15:34 PM

Quote:
Does your girlfriend with the George Foreman Dildo read these boards? :lol: 

She's too young to read. :twisted:
February 7, 2007 5:15:49 PM

Quote:

That and you would have to have a dedicated circuit for that machine. I remember that SCSI hard drive controllers used to let you set them up so they would spool up each drive one at a time so as not to overload the PSU, I wonder if a quad sli rig has the same options or if it just sucks it in all at once.

But, at .16/KWh here in CT, it would only cost $175/month to keep it running at full bore. 8O

Centurion
February 7, 2007 5:17:16 PM

Quote:

So your motto would be, "If she's old enough to pee, she's old enough for me." Do you live in Alabama by chance?
February 7, 2007 5:18:30 PM

Quote:

That and you would have to have a dedicated circuit for that machine. I remember that SCSI hard drive controllers used to let you set them up so they would spool up each drive one at a time so as not to overload the PSU, I wonder if a quad sli rig has the same options or if it just sucks it in all at once.

But, at .16/KWh here in CT, it would only cost $175/month to keep it running at full bore. 8O

Centurion

Hold up. Are we talking PSUs or jackhammers? What in blue blazes is gonna eat up 1,093.75KW in a month?
February 7, 2007 5:22:46 PM

Quote:

Centurion

Hold up. Are we talking PSUs or jackhammers? What in blue blazes is gonna eat up 1,093.75KW in a month?

His math is about right. With a 1.5 KW power supply running 24 hours per day for 30 days at $0.16 per KWh it is roughly $175 per month.
February 7, 2007 5:27:21 PM

Quote:

So your motto would be, "If she's old enough to pee, she's old enough for me." Do you live in Alabama by chance?

Nope. My motto is, if they're old enough to b****, they're old enough to breed. :twisted: And I once lived in NW Arkansas, but I found it far too intellectually challenging. :lol: 

Quote:

Centurion

His math is about right. With a 1.5 KW power supply running 24 hours per day for 30 days at $0.16 per KWh it is roughly $175 per month.

A 1.5KW PSU can't run at 100% 24/7 even on a 2xQuad unless you're folding and you're defragging a stack of HDs three feet high at the same time.
February 7, 2007 5:28:00 PM

Quote:

Centurion

Well, if we are talking about a 1500 Watt psu, then we are talking about the octo-quad system lordpope designed with the 1500 watt psu. If we are talking about your gf's jackhammer, well, if it is a sybian and plugs into the wall, can she keep it going 24x7 for a month? I would have to revise the numbers a bit once you give me some scientific data. Or I can videotape for myself. That does depend on what your gf looks like though....

Centurion
February 7, 2007 5:32:59 PM

Quote:

Well, if we are talking about a 1500 Watt psu, then we are talking about the octo-quad system lordpope designed with the 1500 watt psu. If we are talking about your gf's jackhammer, well, if it is a sybian and plugs into the wall, can she keep it going 24x7 for a month? I would have to revise the numbers a bit once you give me some scientific data. Or I can videotape for myself. That does depend on what your gf looks like though....

Centurion

The 2xQuad I'm looking to get is not too different from the OP's. Far less videocard requirement, but I will be running 1x150GB Raptor and 4x750GB 7200.10s. I can't really see ever needing more than 1KW. Even a 800W might be overkill.

BTW, my gf looks kinda like Jessica Alba but way underage. :twisted:

Quote:
OCZ just released pimp shizzle 4 gig kit of 6400 spd ram http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=MjM4NjEsLCxobmV3c...

so now you can have 8 gigs

Will this work on QFX guaranteed? If so, options are opening up!!! Yippeeeeee!
February 7, 2007 5:53:09 PM

Quote:
1500W PSU

1.21 GIGAWATTS!?!?!?
February 7, 2007 5:54:49 PM

Quote:

Centurion
Hey you're from CT too? 860 or 203?
February 7, 2007 6:09:44 PM

Quote:

Centurion
Hey you're from CT too? 860 or 203?

860, I'm in Chester, which is in between Middletown and Old Saybrook. Population <4K, but we have high-speed internet (comcast) so I won't complain. I can DL at 3.6GB/hour from my news servers. I have gotten 3MB/sec when the speedburst/whatever thingy is on for the first 10 seconds or so of a download, pretty impressive, I wish it was that 100% of the time....10.8GB/hour....someday......

Centurion

Centurion
!