Mitsubishi RPTV - defective red gun?

Last response: in Home Theatre
July 1, 2004 12:32:52 AM

I've got a 5 year old VS-50805. I recently had to have the IC
replaced which fixed the terrible picture but left a red "glare" on a
small part of the screen which is worse when light colors are
displayed on a dark background. The problem didn't exist before the
failure of the IC and it is lessened by turning the color level down.
Here is my original post on the problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8d4a4b17.040526172...

The tech says it is due to an inherent flaw in the red gun that
Mitsubishi acknowleged ocassionaly exists. Rare, but documented. I
called Mits customer service and they asked for a diagnosis and
estimate from the tech. They say they may help out with the cost of
the repair.

The tech described it as a flaw in the glass of the lens. Anybody
know anything about this?
Anonymous
July 1, 2004 12:25:28 PM

"nickferr" <igotafreeaccount2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got a 5 year old VS-50805. I recently had to have the IC
> replaced which fixed the terrible picture but left a red "glare" on a
> small part of the screen which is worse when light colors are
> displayed on a dark background. The problem didn't exist before the
> failure of the IC and it is lessened by turning the color level down.
> Here is my original post on the problem:

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=8d4a4b17.040526172...

> The tech says it is due to an inherent flaw in the red gun that
> Mitsubishi acknowleged ocassionaly exists. Rare, but documented. I
> called Mits customer service and they asked for a diagnosis and
> estimate from the tech. They say they may help out with the cost of
> the repair.
>
> The tech described it as a flaw in the glass of the lens. Anybody
> know anything about this?

I fix lots of these and we sell more Mitsubishi than any other brand and I
have never seen a problem with a lens in any Mitsubishi set in over twenty
years of dealing with them. It is much more likely to be a phosphor burn
due to a deflection failure or a non-linearity in the convergence generator.
Does the tech have lots of experience with these sets and Mitsubishi in
general or do they just do a few of them? You might want to get another
evaluation of the problem from another tech. Changing a tube can be
problematic if the tech is not very experienced. Matching the output to get
good gray scale tracking between a new tube and two aged tubes can be
difficult if not impossible. It is not something that you want to have to
do on a set this age if it is not necessary. If you do have to change the
tube be sure to get him to demonstrate that the gray scale tracks from black
to white with no dominance of any color at either end nor in the middle.
Also note the problem carefully and be sure that it is gone.

Leonard
Anonymous
July 3, 2004 11:15:59 AM

Hi Leonard,
Nice to see a "real" tech around here. Quick question for you about my
Mitsubishi WS-55311

I purchased the extended warrantee from Sears when I purchased it (Nov 2002)
1-1/2 years ago. At the time, the salesman said that an annual "maintenance
visit" would justify the cost, I just wanted a pain free experience. My
question for you is; if the set is working fine, should I let their tech
touch it? Would you recommend some type of cleaning be performed?

Thanks,
FIF

!