Something odd with System Restore - Software Distribution ..

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is something
definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I didn't create
(Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your Application Name) and
they're occuring at the rate of around one every eight seconds (I have
added up the difference between the points that are listed and averaged
them) and the Software Distribution Service with the same monotonous
regularity.

Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
MP10 (fully updated)
Office 2003 Pro SP1

I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no idea.

I have uploaded an image here
(http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg) because I'm
not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps. As it is,
in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 - and, yes,
I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no automatic points have
been created in over a week and, as I've just said, I cannot restore
post-SDS.

Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the solution?
If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you solve it - and
how?

Thanks

--
Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
salads.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi,

I would suggest you start by doing a virus scan with up to date virus
software, then scan for and removing any installed spyware.
If you are in need of virus software, here are a couple to choose
from, for free.
Download the software, and in Update Manager run Update
then do a complete virus scan.
Free Offer: eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from Computer Associates
http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm

Here is a combination of utilities that works very well in the removal
of Spyware, Parasites and the like:
Ad-aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ is
a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry
and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them
safely. Ad-aware PE is does not prevent spyware from being installed.
After installing Ad-Aware and before each scan make sure to run the
update feature before scanning. For large amounts of installed
spyware and such, it may be necessary to run Ad-Aware several times to
clear them all.

Here are a couple more removal tools that should also be run.
CWShredder -

Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/
Spybot Search and Destroy is more powerful and there is a slight
chance of problems. Using WinXP create a restore point first and see
the Parasite Fight link below.

SpywareBlaster:
SpywareBlaster is a preventative non-memory resident program.
Spywareblaster does not scan and clean. Instead, it sets flags (or
kill bits) in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list
of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. This includes general spyware
and malicious dialers. It also blocks a list of known spyware related
cookies in IE6.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but
> there is something definitely up with my SR. There are
> points there that I KNOW I didn't create (Software
> Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your Application
> Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one
> every eight seconds (I have added up the difference
> between the points that are listed and averaged them) and
> the Software Distribution Service with the same
> monotonous regularity.
> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also
> running .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my
> apps) MP10 (fully updated)
> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>
> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I
> have no idea.
> I have uploaded an image here
> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg)
> because I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I
> hope the image helps. As it is, in effect, killing SR (I
> cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 - and, yes, I've
> purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no
> automatic points have been created in over a week and, as
> I've just said, I cannot restore post-SDS.
> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so,
> what's the solution? If not, has this happened to anyone
> else and, if so, did you solve it - and how?
>
> Thanks

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is something
>definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I didn't
>create (Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your Application
>Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one every eight seconds
>(I have added up the difference between the points that are listed and
>averaged them) and the Software Distribution Service with the same
>monotonous regularity.
>
> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
> Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
> MP10 (fully updated)
> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>
> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no idea.
>
> I have uploaded an image here
> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg) because
> I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps. As it
> is, in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 - and,
> yes, I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no automatic
> points have been created in over a week and, as I've just said, I cannot
> restore post-SDS.
>
> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the solution?
> If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you solve it -
> and how?

You're right, it is caused by a hotfix, as I remember seeing that line item
in SR with that reference you're getting hit with in multitudes. But mine
didn't generate over and over again likes yours, so it may be acting upon
another installed application or two that you have. here is the KB article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742.

Just to reassure you that this is it, after I did a restore to before that
was
installed, I got a notice from WU to that fix again, I reinstalled it, and
it
shows up again as the "Software Distribution Service 2.0 " in SR.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is something
>definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I didn't
>create (Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your Application
>Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one every eight seconds
>(I have added up the difference between the points that are listed and
>averaged them) and the Software Distribution Service with the same
>monotonous regularity.
>
> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
> Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
> MP10 (fully updated)
> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>
> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no idea.
>
> I have uploaded an image here
> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg) because
> I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps. As it
> is, in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 - and,
> yes, I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no automatic
> points have been created in over a week and, as I've just said, I cannot
> restore post-SDS.
>
> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the solution?
> If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you solve it -
> and how?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
> salads.

There is a System Restore Diagnostics Utility you could try to see if it is
Malfunctioning.

%SYTEMROOT%/System32/Restore/srdiag.exe

--
William

Bert Kinney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would suggest you start by doing a virus scan with up to date virus
> software, then scan for and removing any installed spyware.
> If you are in need of virus software, here are a couple to choose
> from, for free.
> Download the software, and in Update Manager run Update
> then do a complete virus scan.
> Free Offer: eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from Computer Associates
> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm
>
> Here is a combination of utilities that works very well in the removal
> of Spyware, Parasites and the like:
> Ad-aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ is
> a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry
> and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them
> safely. Ad-aware PE is does not prevent spyware from being installed.
> After installing Ad-Aware and before each scan make sure to run the
> update feature before scanning. For large amounts of installed
> spyware and such, it may be necessary to run Ad-Aware several times to
> clear them all.
>
> Here are a couple more removal tools that should also be run.
> CWShredder -
> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
>
> Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/
> Spybot Search and Destroy is more powerful and there is a slight
> chance of problems. Using WinXP create a restore point first and see
> the Parasite Fight link below.
>
> SpywareBlaster:
> SpywareBlaster is a preventative non-memory resident program.
> Spywareblaster does not scan and clean. Instead, it sets flags (or
> kill bits) in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list
> of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. This includes general spyware
> and malicious dialers. It also blocks a list of known spyware related
> cookies in IE6.

Bert,

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I thank you for the advice, but you
should know me by now. I run a tight ship here and AVG, Spybot and AdAware
are run twice daily, so I know my system is clean. I have just had emails
from two friends (of which Will Denny (MVP) was one) who are reporting
similar occurrances and I know that both are also scrupulous about system
'hygiene'.

So thanks, but that's not it.

on salads.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

It's also possible that it is a brand new malware and the definition isn't
in the updates yet.

> Bert Kinney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would suggest you start by doing a virus scan with up to date virus
>> software, then scan for and removing any installed spyware.
>> If you are in need of virus software, here are a couple to choose
>> from, for free.
>> Download the software, and in Update Manager run Update
>> then do a complete virus scan.
>> Free Offer: eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from Computer Associates
>> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm
>>
>> Here is a combination of utilities that works very well in the removal
>> of Spyware, Parasites and the like:
>> Ad-aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoftusa.com/ is
>> a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry
>> and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them
>> safely. Ad-aware PE is does not prevent spyware from being installed.
>> After installing Ad-Aware and before each scan make sure to run the
>> update feature before scanning. For large amounts of installed
>> spyware and such, it may be necessary to run Ad-Aware several times to
>> clear them all.
>>
>> Here are a couple more removal tools that should also be run.
>> CWShredder -
>> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
>>
>> Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/
>> Spybot Search and Destroy is more powerful and there is a slight
>> chance of problems. Using WinXP create a restore point first and see
>> the Parasite Fight link below.
>>
>> SpywareBlaster:
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>> SpywareBlaster is a preventative non-memory resident program.
>> Spywareblaster does not scan and clean. Instead, it sets flags (or
>> kill bits) in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list
>> of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. This includes general spyware
>> and malicious dialers. It also blocks a list of known spyware related
>> cookies in IE6.
>
> Bert,
>
> I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I thank you for the advice, but you
> should know me by now. I run a tight ship here and AVG, Spybot and AdAware
> are run twice daily, so I know my system is clean. I have just had emails
> from two friends (of which Will Denny (MVP) was one) who are reporting
> similar occurrances and I know that both are also scrupulous about system
> 'hygiene'.
>
> So thanks, but that's not it.
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Miss P

You have a high profile so you could be targeted! I would add HijackThis
to Bert's list!

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
> Bert Kinney wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would suggest you start by doing a virus scan with up to date virus
>> software, then scan for and removing any installed spyware.
>> If you are in need of virus software, here are a couple to choose
>> from, for free.
>> Download the software, and in Update Manager run Update
>> then do a complete virus scan.
>> Free Offer: eTrust EZ Armor Security Suite from Computer Associates
>> http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm
>>
>> Here is a combination of utilities that works very well in the
>> removal
>> of Spyware, Parasites and the like:
>> Ad-aware Personal Edition from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>> is
>> a free multi spyware removal utility that scans your memory, registry
>> and hard drives for known spyware components and lets you remove them
>> safely. Ad-aware PE is does not prevent spyware from being installed.
>> After installing Ad-Aware and before each scan make sure to run the
>> update feature before scanning. For large amounts of installed
>> spyware and such, it may be necessary to run Ad-Aware several times
>> clear them all.
>>
>> Here are a couple more removal tools that should also be run.
>> CWShredder -
>> http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html
>>
>> Spybot: http://www.safer-networking.org/
>> Spybot Search and Destroy is more powerful and there is a slight
>> chance of problems. Using WinXP create a restore point first and see
>> the Parasite Fight link below.
>>
>> SpywareBlaster:
>> http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html
>> SpywareBlaster is a preventative non-memory resident program.
>> Spywareblaster does not scan and clean. Instead, it sets flags (or
>> kill bits) in the registry to prevent the running of a specific list
>> of bad spyware related ActiveX controls. This includes general
>> spyware
>> and malicious dialers. It also blocks a list of known spyware related
>> cookies in IE6.
>
> Bert,
>
> I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I thank you for the advice, but
> you should know me by now. I run a tight ship here and AVG, Spybot and
> AdAware are run twice daily, so I know my system is clean. I have just
> had emails from two friends (of which Will Denny (MVP) was one) who
> are reporting similar occurrances and I know that both are also
> scrupulous about system 'hygiene'.
>
> So thanks, but that's not it.
>

> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on salads.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Tom

Windows update suddenly offered me that update earlier this week
completely out of the blue. No idea why as I had not been experiencing
any problems, The release date is November 2004!

--

Regards.

Gerry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is
>>something
>>definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I didn't
>>create (Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your
>>Application
>>Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one every eight
>>seconds
>>(I have added up the difference between the points that are listed and
>>averaged them) and the Software Distribution Service with the same
>>monotonous regularity.
>>
>> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
>> Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
>> MP10 (fully updated)
>> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>>
>> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no idea.
>>
>> I have uploaded an image here
>> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg)
>> because
>> I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps.
>> As it
>> is, in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 -
>> and,
>> yes, I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no automatic
>> points have been created in over a week and, as I've just said, I
>> cannot
>> restore post-SDS.
>>
>> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the
>> solution?
>> If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you solve
>> it -
>> and how?
>>

> You're right, it is caused by a hotfix, as I remember seeing that line
> item
> in SR with that reference you're getting hit with in multitudes. But
> mine
> didn't generate over and over again likes yours, so it may be acting
> upon
> another installed application or two that you have. here is the KB
> article
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742.
>
> Just to reassure you that this is it, after I did a restore to before
> that was
> installed, I got a notice from WU to that fix again, I reinstalled it,
> and it
> shows up again as the "Software Distribution Service 2.0 " in SR.

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Me either, no problems whatsoever. So I find it interesting why MPT is
getting those multiple hit within such a short period of time. I already
speculated on that anyway to her. I have it, but I haven't had any issues.

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
> Tom
>
> Windows update suddenly offered me that update earlier this week
> completely out of the blue. No idea why as I had not been experiencing any
> problems, The release date is November 2004!
>
> --
>

> Regards.
>
> Gerry
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>>I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is
>>>something
>>>definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I didn't
>>>create (Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your Application
>>>Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one every eight seconds
>>>(I have added up the difference between the points that are listed and
>>>averaged them) and the Software Distribution Service with the same
>>>monotonous regularity.
>>>
>>> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
>>> Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
>>> MP10 (fully updated)
>>> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>>>
>>> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no idea.
>>>
>>> I have uploaded an image here
>>> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg) because
>>> I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps. As
>>> it
>>> is, in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 - and,
>>> yes, I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no automatic
>>> points have been created in over a week and, as I've just said, I cannot
>>> restore post-SDS.
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the
>>> solution?
>>> If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you solve it -
>>> and how?
>>>

>> You're right, it is caused by a hotfix, as I remember seeing that line
>> item
>> in SR with that reference you're getting hit with in multitudes. But mine
>> didn't generate over and over again likes yours, so it may be acting upon
>> another installed application or two that you have. here is the KB
>> article
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742.
>>
>> Just to reassure you that this is it, after I did a restore to before
>> that was
>> installed, I got a notice from WU to that fix again, I reinstalled it,
>> and it
>> shows up again as the "Software Distribution Service 2.0 " in SR.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

After reading this I thought I'd check and I have 2 of those checkpoints
one created on the 8th and one on the 23rd so like you have no idea what
they are, and like Will and yourself keep this machine clean.
Joan

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Bert,
>
> I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I thank you for the advice, but you
> should know me by now. I run a tight ship here and AVG, Spybot and AdAware
> are run twice daily, so I know my system is clean. I have just had emails
> from two friends (of which Will Denny (MVP) was one) who are reporting
> similar occurrances and I know that both are also scrupulous about system
> 'hygiene'.
>
> So thanks, but that's not it.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Being curious - I ran it. All it does is provide a black DOS window with a
blinking/flashing cursor, no root, just the "minus" sign. No text or other
characters whatsoever. Closes down with the X top right.
So - what's wrong?

Sincerely, Len

"Yabbadoo" <lsdolby@ignore.ntlwor.com> wrote in message
> Being curious - I ran it. All it does is provide a black DOS window with a
> blinking/flashing cursor, no root, just the "minus" sign. No text or
> other characters whatsoever. Closes down with the X top right.
> So - what's wrong?
>
> Sincerely, Len
>
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>>I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is
>>>something definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I
>>>didn't create (Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your
>>>Application Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one every
>>>eight seconds (I have added up the difference between the points that are
>>>listed and averaged them) and the Software Distribution Service with the
>>>same monotonous regularity.
>>>
>>> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
>>> Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
>>> MP10 (fully updated)
>>> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>>>
>>> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no idea.
>>>
>>> I have uploaded an image here
>>> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg) because
>>> I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps. As
>>> it is, in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 -
>>> and, yes, I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no
>>> automatic points have been created in over a week and, as I've just
>>> said, I cannot restore post-SDS.
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the
>>> solution? If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you
>>> solve it - and how?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling on
>>> salads.
>>>

>> There is a System Restore Diagnostics Utility you could try to see if it
>> is Malfunctioning.
>>
>> %SYTEMROOT%/System32/Restore/srdiag.exe
>>
>> --
>> William

A command window will open while the Srdiag.exe runs. The command session
will automatically close when complete, and the .cab file will be created in
your Windows\system32\restore directory. This can take several minutes.

A few different text files will be inside the cab file.

--
William

Gerry Cornell wrote:
> Tom
>
> Windows update suddenly offered me that update earlier this week
> completely out of the blue. No idea why as I had not been experiencing
> any problems, The release date is November 2004!
>

> "Tom" <noway@nothere.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>> I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is
>>> something
>>> definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I
>>> didn't create (Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your
>>> Application
>>> Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one every eight
>>> seconds
>>> (I have added up the difference between the points that are listed
>>> and averaged them) and the Software Distribution Service with the
>>> same monotonous regularity.
>>>
>>> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
>>> Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
>>> MP10 (fully updated)
>>> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>>>
>>> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no
>>> idea. I have uploaded an image here
>>> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg)
>>> because
>>> I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps.
>>> As it
>>> is, in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 -
>>> and,
>>> yes, I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no automatic
>>> points have been created in over a week and, as I've just said, I
>>> cannot
>>> restore post-SDS.
>>>
>>> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the
>>> solution?
>>> If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you solve
>>> it -
>>> and how?
>>>

>> You're right, it is caused by a hotfix, as I remember seeing that
>> line item
>> in SR with that reference you're getting hit with in multitudes. But
>> mine
>> didn't generate over and over again likes yours, so it may be acting
>> upon
>> another installed application or two that you have. here is the KB
>> article
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/887742.
>>
>> Just to reassure you that this is it, after I did a restore to before
>> that was
>> installed, I got a notice from WU to that fix again, I reinstalled
>> it, and it
>> shows up again as the "Software Distribution Service 2.0 " in SR.

Thank you all for your replies. Joan, I have told Will that you, too, have
odd entries. I have checked my parents' system and they do, too. I've no
idea what's going on.
on salads.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Thought I'd just check my installation history at windows update and the
dates that I mentioned are the dates I installed updates, the 8th was
the monthly one that needed 9 updates and the 23rd was the update
KB887742, but so far they are the only two I see in SR.
Joan

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:

> Thank you all for your replies. Joan, I have told Will that you, too, have
> odd entries. I have checked my parents' system and they do, too. I've no
> idea what's going on.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi Len,

Be patient, it takes several minutes.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]

Yabbadoo wrote:
> Being curious - I ran it. All it does is provide a black
> DOS window with a blinking/flashing cursor, no root,
> just the "minus" sign. No text or other characters
> whatsoever. Closes down with the X top right. So - what's wrong?
>
> Sincerely, Len
>
> "WTC" <bcrawfordjr(remove)@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" <noone@here.com> wrote in message
>>> I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but
>>> there is something definitely up with my SR. There are
>>> points there that I KNOW I didn't create (Software
>>> Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your Application
>>> Name) and they're occuring at the rate of around one
>>> every eight seconds (I have added up the difference
>>> between the points that are listed and averaged them)
>>> and the Software Distribution Service with the same
>>> monotonous regularity. Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter
>>> updates). Also
>>> running .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my
>>> apps) MP10 (fully updated)
>>> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>>>
>>> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I
>>> have no idea. I have uploaded an image here
>>> (http://paintedover.com/uploads/show.php?loc=15&f=image1_9.jpg)
>>> because I'm not very good at explaining what I mean. I
>>> hope the image helps. As it is, in effect, killing SR
>>> (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 - and, yes,
>>> I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no
>>> automatic points have been created in over a week and,
>>> as I've just said, I cannot restore post-SDS. Is this a known
>>> issue (KB didn't help either)? If so,
>>> what's the solution? If not, has this happened to
>>> anyone else and, if so, did you solve it - and how?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut
>>> for sprinkling on salads.
>>>

>> There is a System Restore Diagnostics Utility you could
>> try to see if it is Malfunctioning.
>>
>> %SYTEMROOT%/System32/Restore/srdiag.exe
>>
>> --
>> William

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Sorry, but I do not know you, will until now.

Running these three app will not guarantee that all malware will be
found and removed.

Run Windows Update - Custom install, and look at "View Installation
History".
Look for hotfixes installed just prior to this problem. Some may be
able to be uninstalled from within
Add/remove programs.

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney [MS-MVP DTS]
http://dts-l.org/

Miss Perspicacia Tick wrote:
> Bert,
> I don't mean to sound ungrateful, and I thank you for the
> advice, but you should know me by now. I run a tight ship
> here and AVG, Spybot and AdAware are run twice daily, so
> I know my system is clean. I have just had emails from
> two friends (of which Will Denny (MVP) was one) who are
> reporting similar occurrances and I know that both are
> also scrupulous about system 'hygiene'.
> So thanks, but that's not it.

Hello, I signed up because I too have that "mysterious" entry in System
Restore.
Mine appears to have been added along with "patch". I just noticed it
to-day.
I found this site while doing a Google search on that entry.

|Filename: SDS2.JPEG |
|Download: http://www.iamnotageek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18968|

wandrinstar
wandrinstar's Profile: http://www.iamnotageek.com/member.php?userid=10491
View this thread: http://www.iamnotageek.com/showthread.php?t=821167

Miss Perspicacia Tick Wrote:
> I have Googled for this until I am blue in the face but there is
> something
> definitely up with my SR. There are points there that I KNOW I didn't
> create
> (Software Distribution Service 2.0 and Installed Your Application Name)
> and
> they're occuring at the rate of around one every eight seconds (I
> have
> added up the difference between the points that are listed and
> averaged
> them) and the Software Distribution Service with the same monotonous
> regularity.
>
> Running XP Pro with SP2 (and all latter updates). Also running .NET
> Framework 1.1 SP1 (required for some of my apps)
> MP10 (fully updated)
> Office 2003 Pro SP1
>
> I am convinced it's caused by a hotfix, but which one I have no idea.
>
> I have uploaded an image here
> (http://tinyurl.com/6rkoa) because I'm
> not very good at explaining what I mean. I hope the image helps. As it
> is,
> in effect, killing SR (I cannot restore to points post-SDS2.0 - and,
> yes,
> I've purged and reset). The system is on 24/7, yet no automatic points
> have
> been created in over a week and, as I've just said, I cannot restore
> post-SDS.
>
> Is this a known issue (KB didn't help either)? If so, what's the
> solution?
> If not, has this happened to anyone else and, if so, did you solve it -
> and
> how?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Facon - the artificial bacon bits you get in Pizza Hut for sprinkling
> on
> salads.

Miss P
I have been struggling with "something" taking over or disabling my
internet explorer browser for about a month now. At first is suspected
AOL 9.0 security edition because the symtoms appeared just after I
installed that. I would get DNS error cannot connect to server.
Actually I could ping a numeric internet address with IE but not a
name.
I tried numerous things to no avail. I was about to Reformat, clean
install Windows XP and just prior to that, I uninstalled Norton
Internet Security.
My Internet Explorer came back working fine! Since then, I downloaded
AVG, Zone Alarm, and Microsoft Antispyware Beta. Now if I leave my
computor on overnight. I'll show the "Software Distribution Service
2" appearing overnight about 3:05 AM wich is usually just after the
Microsoft Anti-spyware finishes running. When "SDS2" appears as a
restore point, neither of my browser's IE or Firefox will work until
I restore before that. I know how to cure the problem, I just don't
know how to prevent it. It is a great nusiance as I recently installed
a Dell printer. After I had to restore, the printer could not be found.
What else will I be losing if I have to keep restoring every day I
leave my CPU on overnight. Feel free to contact me Tdazzler@aol.com

--
Tdazzler

I have reviewed Google(confused) and Miss Perspicacia Tick thru the 3/26
response of Tdazzler. Also another community on this sub. thru July.
Has anyone come up with a solution.
I realize this should proberly be a new posting but since this stopped on
3/26,
thought might have been resolved thru individual e-mail correspondence.
Any solution...Please advise and thank.

--
justandhp

"Tdazzler" wrote:

> [...]
> I tried numerous things to no avail. I was about to Reformat, clean
> install Windows XP and just prior to that, I uninstalled Norton
> Internet Security.
> My Internet Explorer came back working fine! Since then, I downloaded
> AVG, Zone Alarm, and Microsoft Antispyware Beta. Now if I leave my
> computor on overnight. I'll show the "Software Distribution Service
> 2" appearing overnight about 3:05 AM wich is usually just after the
> Microsoft Anti-spyware finishes running. When "SDS2" appears as a
> restore point, neither of my browser's IE or Firefox will work until
> I restore before that. I know how to cure the problem, I just don't
> know how to prevent it. It is a great nusiance as I recently installed
> a Dell printer. After I had to restore, the printer could not be found.
> What else will I be losing if I have to keep restoring every day I

Hi,

Please describe the problem your having with System Restore.

All About System Restore in WinXP
http://bertk.mvps.org/

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

marmay wrote:
> [...]
>> Reformat, clean install Windows XP and just prior to
>> that, I uninstalled Norton Internet Security.
>> My Internet Explorer came back working fine! Since
>> then, I downloaded AVG, Zone Alarm, and Microsoft
>> Antispyware Beta. Now if I leave my computor on
>> overnight. I'll show the "Software Distribution
>> Service 2" appearing overnight about 3:05 AM wich is
>> usually just after the Microsoft Anti-spyware finishes
>> running. When "SDS2" appears as a restore point,
>> neither of my browser's IE or Firefox will work until
>> I restore before that. I know how to cure the problem,
>> I just don't know how to prevent it. It is a great
>> nusiance as I recently installed a Dell printer. After
>> I had to restore, the printer could not be found. What
>> else will I be losing if I have to keep restoring every
>> day I leave my CPU on overnight. Feel free to contact

Sorry Bert,
Ms. P's problem was not with System Restore but the "Software Distribution
Service Ver. 2.0" that keeps showing up as a restore point. Other's including
myself have problems with lost sound, lost printer connections, etc. When
these things happen, you can restore at that point and the problems are
solved until the program
runs again. What determines when it runs is undetimed. Sometimes it will
run once, twice a day or run itself but once a week or month.
You never know when it will happen but you certainly know when it does.

As I understand the original basic question: Where did the program come from
and How do you get rid of it?

There are any number of sites discussing this problem and it seems to be
eluding the best minds.

Microsoft seems to be avoiding the problem because I think it came from in
house and they don't know who or where or how to get rid of it.

Still looking?????????
--
justandhp

"Bert Kinney" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Please describe the problem your having with System Restore.
>
> All About System Restore in WinXP
> http://bertk.mvps.org/
>
> --
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
>

> marmay wrote:
> > I have reviewed Google(confused) and Miss Perspicacia
> > Tick thru the 3/26 response of Tdazzler. Also another
> > community on this sub. thru July. Has anyone come up
> > with a solution.
> > I realize this should proberly be a new posting but since
> > this stopped on 3/26,
> > thought might have been resolved thru individual e-mail
> > correspondence. Any solution...Please advise and thank.

> >> Miss P
> >> I have been struggling with "something" taking over or
> >> disabling my internet explorer browser for about a month
> >> now. At first is suspected AOL 9.0 security edition
> >> because the symtoms appeared just after I installed
> >> that. I would get DNS error cannot connect to server.
> >> Actually I could ping a numeric internet address with IE
> >> but not a name.
> >> I tried numerous things to no avail. I was about to
> >> Reformat, clean install Windows XP and just prior to
> >> that, I uninstalled Norton Internet Security.
> >> My Internet Explorer came back working fine! Since
> >> then, I downloaded AVG, Zone Alarm, and Microsoft
> >> Antispyware Beta. Now if I leave my computor on
> >> overnight. I'll show the "Software Distribution
> >> Service 2" appearing overnight about 3:05 AM wich is
> >> usually just after the Microsoft Anti-spyware finishes
> >> running. When "SDS2" appears as a restore point,
> >> neither of my browser's IE or Firefox will work until
> >> I restore before that. I know how to cure the problem,
> >> I just don't know how to prevent it. It is a great
> >> nusiance as I recently installed a Dell printer. After
> >> I had to restore, the printer could not be found. What
> >> else will I be losing if I have to keep restoring every
> >> day I leave my CPU on overnight. Feel free to contact
> >> me Tdazzler@aol.com
> >>

> >> --
> >> Tdazzler

Hi,

Just to confirm, the system in question has WinXP Pro SP2?

Are you using Automatic Updates? If so turn off Automatic Updates and set it to " Notify,
but do not download or install. Now go to the Windows Update site and click the Custom
button. Make a list of what's offered and post them here.

Also post the latest entries from the WindowsUpdate.log. The last 30 should do.
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type %windir%\windowsupdate.log, and then click OK.

Are there any "Symantec" applications installed on the system?

--

marmay wrote:
> Sorry Bert,
> Ms. P's problem was not with System Restore but the
> "Software Distribution Service Ver. 2.0" that keeps
> showing up as a restore point. Other's including myself
> have problems with lost sound, lost printer connections,
> etc. When these things happen, you can restore at that
> point and the problems are solved until the program
> runs again. What determines when it runs is undetimed.
> Sometimes it will run once, twice a day or run itself but
> once a week or month.
> You never know when it will happen but you certainly know
> when it does.
>
> As I understand the original basic question: Where did
> the program come from and How do you get rid of it?
>
> There are any number of sites discussing this problem and
> it seems to be eluding the best minds.
>
> Microsoft seems to be avoiding the problem because I
> think it came from in house and they don't know who or
> where or how to get rid of it.
>
> Still looking?????????
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Please describe the problem your having with System
>> Restore.
>>
>> All About System Restore in WinXP
>> http://bertk.mvps.org/
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
>> http://bertk.mvps.org
>>

>> marmay wrote:
>>> I have reviewed Google(confused) and Miss Perspicacia
>>> Tick thru the 3/26 response of Tdazzler. Also another
>>> community on this sub. thru July. Has anyone come up
>>> with a solution.
>>> I realize this should proberly be a new posting but
>>> since this stopped on 3/26,
>>> thought might have been resolved thru individual e-mail
>>> correspondence. Any solution...Please advise and thank.

Thanks Bert,
Have Home Edition SP2 with all current "Hotfixs" and undates. Already Update
"Notify".
Current on all IE6 updates.
Received all your suggestions, including custom downloads; previously from
"Trend Micro using " PC-cillin" as spyware protection. This updates every
time I log on.
Also use Spyblocker(current) and Spybot "Search & Destroy" Current Version
2.61.
Also, Use TUT to trouble shoot system. Also received nearly identical
suggestions from TUT.
Still Looking.
Thank You,
--