Choosing a new display - I'm clueless... help?

holcar

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Well my 6 year old LG Flatron is apparently dieing (random fade outs etc), so I need a new monitor.

Would this be a good choice? I cannot understand the pricing of these things...

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/125098

...just realised the displayed ratio was dynamic, what does that mean?

Can anyone reccomend anything better by Samsung for the £200 range? It will be used mainly for gaming. And I wish to stick to Samsungs because any display I have owned from them has been great. Or if theres anything else that exceptionally better.

Thanks

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
This is a very good monitor.

Somethings to consider in picking your monitor.....

1) Wide Screen vs. Traditional.

A 19" Traditional Monitor will have more total screen area than a 19" Wide screen due to the greater height view.

Wide Screen tend to play movies better.

I prefer Tradional Screens for Reading Web Pages since Up/Down view space is often nicer than left/right view space.

When comparing a Wide vs Traditional Screen I tend to look for a Wide Screen that is an inch or two larger than the traditional I am considering for these reasons.

2) Response Time - Get 5ms or less if you want to game or watch lots of movies to avoid monitor lag. This one has 2ms which is the best you can get now.

3) Higher Brightness and Contrast Ratios also tend to lead to nicer pictures.

Before selecting any monitor, checkout some place like NewEgg that has a large number of reviews of the monitors. Even if you dont buy from them, you should get an idea of how people liked their monitor. Expect some folks to be unhappy and to get a lemon, but you should be able to judge which monitors folks had the most issues.

XgoDoT

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2006
since this monitor from samsung is very new.. there are hardly proper reviews about it out there..

however, since its has amazing specs and a great panel.. i can only recommend it for you..

btw i am planning to get the exact same monitor next week...

and been doing some research about what to get over 2 months now...

my first choice was the NEC MultiSync 20WGX² until this one from samsung hit the market..

greetz

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
though I suspect you're right this monitor is probably fantastic, I am always reluctant to spend $300+ on anything without first reading a review or two on its strengths/weaknesses. I'd rather buy a previous generation monitor with reviews behind it, than a new yet untested one (though I acknowledge it may very well be better).

guess I'm a bit paranoid that way. :)