local SAM export to another local SAM

Hi,

we currently run a 2000 server as a file server. we have local groups set up that contain NT4 domain global groups to allow access to local files. I need to export the local 2000 server groups to another server that we are migrating to. how can I export the local SAM from our old 2000 File server and export these groups and their members onto our new 2003 File Server?

Thanks
1 answer Last reply
More about local export local

    Look into addusers from the Resource Kit. The link below discusses domains
    but it will export user/group info into a file that can be imported into
    another computer. By default user passwords will be blank and user will be
    required to change password at next logon. I believe you can change that by
    putting the info into a WP or spreadsheet if need be. I don't know how it
    will hande the domain global groups but it is worth looking into and easy
    enough to test out. Of course have a current backup before you try. ---
    Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;264769
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=199878 --- explains the syntax
    http://www.petri.co.il/download_free_reskit_tools.htm -- availble here

    "Steve Young" <Steve Young@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > we currently run a 2000 server as a file server. we have local groups set
    up that contain NT4 domain global groups to allow access to local files. I
    need to export the local 2000 server groups to another server that we are
    migrating to. how can I export the local SAM from our old 2000 File server
    and export these groups and their members onto our new 2003 File Server?

    > Thanks

File Server Servers Windows