unable to request certificate

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 16, 2004 4:50:42 PM

I have a development environment setup where I have a
standalone CA setup on a windows 2000 small business
server. I need to obtain get new personal and website
certificates for testing purposes. My user account has
administrator privileges on the server, the domain, and
the local computer.

I try to request a new certificate in two ways, neither
of which is working.

Method 1: Start->Run->certmgr.msc
---------------------------------
When I try to request a certificate, I get the message:

"The wizard cannot be started because of one or more of
the following conditions:
-There are no trusted CAs available
-You do not have the permissions to request
certificates from the available CAs
-The available CAs issue certificates for which you do
not have permissions."

I have the Root CA certificate of my test-CA installed in
the 'Trusted Root CAs' and 'Enterprise Trust' containers.

Method 2: http://<server>/certsrv
---------------------------------
I also tried to create an advanced request using the form
provided on the certificate server web
(http://<server>/certsrv/certrqma.asp), however, it just
sits there displaying the message ' Downloading ActiveX
control... '

Can anybody find it in their heart to tell me what is
going wrong here. This is becoming a serious impediment
to my current project.
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 7:43:15 AM

To use the mmc certificate snapins you need to be using an Enterprise CA that would
be part of an AD domain. The Web Enrollment method should work but there was a patch
to fix the stall at the downloading ActiveX problem as shown in link below. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330389

"nick" <nwdurcholz@birklawfirm.com> wrote in message
> I have a development environment setup where I have a
> standalone CA setup on a windows 2000 small business
> server. I need to obtain get new personal and website
> certificates for testing purposes. My user account has
> administrator privileges on the server, the domain, and
> the local computer.
>
> I try to request a new certificate in two ways, neither
> of which is working.
>
> Method 1: Start->Run->certmgr.msc
> ---------------------------------
> When I try to request a certificate, I get the message:
>
> "The wizard cannot be started because of one or more of
> the following conditions:
> -There are no trusted CAs available
> -You do not have the permissions to request
> certificates from the available CAs
> -The available CAs issue certificates for which you do
> not have permissions."
>
> I have the Root CA certificate of my test-CA installed in
> the 'Trusted Root CAs' and 'Enterprise Trust' containers.
>
> Method 2: http://<server>/certsrv
> ---------------------------------
> I also tried to create an advanced request using the form
> provided on the certificate server web
> (http://<server>/certsrv/certrqma.asp), however, it just
> sits there displaying the message ' Downloading ActiveX
> control... '
>

> Can anybody find it in their heart to tell me what is
> going wrong here. This is becoming a serious impediment
> to my current project.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 9:40:57 AM

the second web enrollment issue is associated with kb article 323172. we
have published a new paper on troubleshooting web enrollment which should
help you:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windowsser...

--

David B. Cross [MS]

http://support.microsoft.com

> To use the mmc certificate snapins you need to be using an Enterprise CA
that would
> be part of an AD domain. The Web Enrollment method should work but there
was a patch
> to fix the stall at the downloading ActiveX problem as shown in link
below. ---
> Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330389
>
> "nick" <nwdurcholz@birklawfirm.com> wrote in message
> > I have a development environment setup where I have a
> > standalone CA setup on a windows 2000 small business
> > server. I need to obtain get new personal and website
> > certificates for testing purposes. My user account has
> > administrator privileges on the server, the domain, and
> > the local computer.
> >
> > I try to request a new certificate in two ways, neither
> > of which is working.
> >
> > Method 1: Start->Run->certmgr.msc
> > ---------------------------------
> > When I try to request a certificate, I get the message:
> >
> > "The wizard cannot be started because of one or more of
> > the following conditions:
> > -There are no trusted CAs available
> > -You do not have the permissions to request
> > certificates from the available CAs
> > -The available CAs issue certificates for which you do
> > not have permissions."
> >
> > I have the Root CA certificate of my test-CA installed in
> > the 'Trusted Root CAs' and 'Enterprise Trust' containers.
> >
> > Method 2: http://<server>/certsrv
> > ---------------------------------
> > I also tried to create an advanced request using the form
> > provided on the certificate server web
> > (http://<server>/certsrv/certrqma.asp), however, it just
> > sits there displaying the message ' Downloading ActiveX
> > control... '
> >

> > Can anybody find it in their heart to tell me what is
> > going wrong here. This is becoming a serious impediment
> > to my current project.

Anonymous
February 26, 2009 10:55:21 AM

Hi,
Could you find a solution to this.
Seems like we are facing a similar problem.
IE7 on Vista seems to do this where the downloading ActiveX just sits and stays put

the entire setup seems to work fine on XP with IE6 but hangs on IE7
!