Is this PSU right for me?

trinthakis

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Ok, I'm in a bit of a pickle here (hehe, pickle :p). Anyway I have basicly all my new computer now but I'm still in need of a good PSU. The bad thing is that I know little to nothing about what PSU's are right for what system.

My system right now is a:

Intel CORE 2 EXTREME X6800/2.93GHz
Asus STRIKER EXTREME NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
2x XFX GeForce 8800GTX XXX edition 768MB
4x Seagate SATAII NCQ 750GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache
2x Corsair XMS2 DOMINATOR DDR2 TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF (ordered but waiting for it)
1x Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

So now I need a big PSU to go with this all and I was wondering if this one was any good

Enermax Galaxy 1000W

If not, what do you guys recommend I get?

edit1:

Also I will point this out now that I live in Australia if that changes anything.

edit2:

I'm pretty sure it isn't because the 8800 needs 2 PCI-e power cables to just 1 of the cards so the other card would have none because it seems that PSU only has 2 cbales.

edit3:

wow, so many edits. But yeah I may have looked at it wrong at first. It seems to have 2 native PCI-e cables(I'm guessing that means they are always attached) and 2 modular PCI-e cables which if thats right would be fine.

Howard_Stern

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Ok, I'm in a bit of a pickle here (hehe, pickle :p). Anyway I have basicly all my new computer now but I'm still in need of a good PSU. The bad thing is that I know little to nothing about what PSU's are right for what system.

My system right now is a:

Intel CORE 2 EXTREME X6800/2.93GHz
Asus STRIKER EXTREME NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
2x XFX GeForce 8800GTX XXX edition 768MB
4x Seagate SATAII NCQ 750GB 7200RPM 16mb Cache
2x Corsair XMS2 DOMINATOR DDR2 TWIN2X2048-10000C5DF (ordered but waiting for it)
1x Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro

So now I need a big PSU to go with this all and I was wondering if this one was any good

Enermax Galaxy 1000W

If not, what do you guys recommend I get?

edit1:

Also I will point this out now that I live in Australia if that changes anything.

edit2:

I'm pretty sure it isn't because the 8800 needs 2 PCI-e power cables to just 1 of the cards so the other card would have none because it seems that PSU only has 2 cbales.

edit3:

wow, so many edits. But yeah I may have looked at it wrong at first. It seems to have 2 native PCI-e cables(I'm guessing that means they are always attached) and 2 modular PCI-e cables which if thats right would be fine.

That seems like a good PSU but I remember reading one review a while back on how it had a bad ripple effect when being tested.

I personally would get this one instead if I were in the market for a 1kw psu! Also its $100 less!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817256010

This monster has 80 amps on a single 12v rail! If you know anything at all you will know that high powered single 12v rail PSU's are much much better than multi rail psu's.

Just search it out on the net and you will see why.

Silverstone is a highly recommended brand btw and is right up there with the best such as pcpowercooling psu's

Absolutely, I have one in my computer and it rocks, it's quiet powerful, has plenty of cables, great cable managment (mesh), just an overall great performer.

Regards,
Howard