Sign in with
Your question

DX10 demo... shouldn't there be one somewhere...?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2007 12:54:19 PM

Vista is here. DX10 cards are here. All have been around in various states for a while now. So you should think someone at Microsoft or nVidia should have been toying around with it by now. So... when can we expect the first DX10 demo? Even a tech demo would be fine! Or did I miss something somewhere...?

More about : dx10 demo

February 7, 2007 1:33:39 PM

well.... since dx10 is fairly new i dont think there would be any tech demos, but wait a couple months until games like crysis are out and you have dx10 heaven right there

patience my friend, we are all still waiting for developers to fully utilize 64 bit technology and that has been out for a while now
February 7, 2007 1:35:35 PM

They decided to skip dx10 and currently working DX10a which will be on microsoft's next OS. Unfortunately, the 8800 series will not be compatible with the changes.

/joke.
Related resources
February 7, 2007 1:59:17 PM

Quote:
Vista is here. DX10 cards are here. All have been around in various states for a while now. So you should think someone at Microsoft or nVidia should have been toying around with it by now. So... when can we expect the first DX10 demo? Even a tech demo would be fine! Or did I miss something somewhere...?

There arent any DX10 games out. DX9.0 games would look the same in DX10, so whats the point? Wait for DX10 games and then check for reviews.
February 7, 2007 2:06:22 PM

Check out Age of Conan, they have a DX10 vs DX9 demo video
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 2:55:15 PM

Currently there are 2 dx10 capable cards. Both of them have zero drivers for direct x10. There seems to be a problem somewhere....does the sight for conan say what theyre using?
February 7, 2007 4:19:41 PM

Quote:

Same question I posted on my thread. I thought maybe the nvidia adriane or froggy demo would be directx 10 but I can't find anyone to confirm.

I think the Nvidia demos are directx 10, can anyone confirm?

I know there are sample application in the Directx 10 SDK on the microsoft site but I don't know if the are at all impressive.

If you find something let me know. I'm going to install vista this week.

Edit: Update, the nvidia demos do not use dx10. They use OpenGL 2.1 to show off some dx10 features. Nvidia demonstrated a "Cascades" demo that uses dx10 but they haven't released it yet. Probably because they haven't finalized their driver yet.
February 7, 2007 7:26:33 PM

Quote:
They decided to skip dx10 and currently working DX10a which will be on microsoft's next OS. Unfortunately, the 8800 series will not be compatible with the changes.

heheh...
February 8, 2007 1:00:05 AM

It would be interesting to see how many "problems" Nvidia would have with getting dx10 drivers out the door if ATI's dx10 card was on the shelves. Hmm... :wink:
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2007 2:04:53 PM

Quote:
It would be interesting to see how many "problems" Nvidia would have with getting dx10 drivers out the door if ATI's dx10 card was on the shelves. Hmm... :wink:

I think they are already trying for all they are worth. This driver issue with their flagship product is a big embarrassment that they want to see fixed pronto.

Even Dell is probably hounding them as they currently don't offer Vista on their GF8800 rigs, while their non- GF8 rigs are running Vista.
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37476

Most of us wouldn't buy a Dell desktop, but like it or not they sell a huge number of high end rigs. Not a good sign for NV and the state of their Vista drivers.
February 8, 2007 2:37:41 PM

I have kept quiet during the recent spate of nVida bashing re: the lack of DX10 Vista G80 drivers.

I am sadly not surprised to see so much aggression.

Anyone that doesn't believe that nVida have the best skilled people working overtime to resolve this is badly deluded.

Sure it has taken them some time, and may take some more, but that is purely down to the complexity of the job (new hardware/os/dx-interface). And we have yet to see how DAAMIT get on with the R600 DX10 drivers for Vista...

And the same goes for Vista flaming concerning drivers. People who rant about that must have short memories or were living under a rock when Windows 2000 came out.
February 8, 2007 4:19:39 PM

Thanks for the link sir. Just a little surprising that Nvidia would be having problems writing a driver. But a bit more that both companies seem to be having issues at every step of the way this time around. I think both are fortunate that each is having problems.
February 8, 2007 5:11:34 PM

Like I said before, by the time these companies get dx10 functional, windows will be on Vista 2.0, with only DX10.a support (not backwards compatible with dx10).
February 8, 2007 5:35:28 PM

Scroll back to my posts in December. Its all hype. Its all marketing. They try use us as test animals. Just be patient. There's never a risk in waiting to buy a component. I have a feeling it will be a while before DX10 games come out. Did you see the stats on Vista. What a waste!
February 8, 2007 6:14:10 PM

Quote:
Currently there are 2 dx10 capable cards. Both of them have zero drivers for direct x10. There seems to be a problem somewhere....does the sight for conan say what theyre using?

Hello?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.59.html

Beta DX10 vista drivers have been out since January 31st, and leaked drivers were out a week or two before then. I installed them the day they were released.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2007 8:02:05 PM

Quote:
Not a good sign for NV and the state of their Vista drivers.

Well, maybe here's the reason they're dragging their feet;
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=37498

:twisted:

Of course while I say I'd hardly be tempted to buy a DELL, I'd be even less tempted to buy an Apple for Gaming.

Sure give me OSX for dual boot, but I'd never consider it or Apple hardware for primary gaming (heck I wouldn't consider Apple hardware for anything [just gimme the OS]).

With the launch of the next update of OSX shortly I have a feeling nV's working on getting everything ready for that launch as well, so I wonder how important SLi on Vista really is in the bigger picture, it's a fraction of all the contacts tied into Appple hardware.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2007 8:45:16 PM

It is kinda odd. One of the purposes of DX10 is to standardize the graphics card hardware so that game developers could write their DX10 games without having to worry about the various things each card did or did not support. One would think that this would make it easier for MS to write the DX10 code and for card manufacturers to write their driver code.

Yet, DX10 is still in beta, and although nVidia was first to market with a DX10 capable card, they don't have any drivers for it yet. So, even though programmers have had DX10 beta to play with for quite a while, they must still run their apps in hardware simulation mode.

What is going on between MS's ability to release the their first non-beta DX10 DLLs and nVidia's ability to write their DX10 driver for the 8800? In all the time they have been working on these, and the supposed purpose of DX10 to make it easier, it sure doesn't look like it is any easier.
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2007 3:47:43 AM

Quote:

froggy demo adrianne demo

meant for the 8800 series so they should be dx 10

As was already mentioned by MowTin, the nVidia Demos are not DX10, they are OpenGL.

The ONLY DX10 demo of those at the GF8800 launch was Cascades but it's not available for download yet.

None of those at nzone are DX10.
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2007 4:39:57 AM

Quote:

Hello?

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_100.59.html

Beta DX10 vista drivers have been out since January 31st, and leaked drivers were out a week or two before then. I installed them the day they were released.

Beta indeed

All it will let you do is change the resolution, no DX10 or much else.
If they really worked, why would they have lawsuits being filed against them?
http://www.nvidiaclassaction.org/
February 9, 2007 4:55:28 AM

Quote:

I wouldn't be surprised... Its a conspiracy I tell ya!

:) 
February 15, 2007 7:03:29 AM

Release Highlights:

Adds support for GeForce 8800 GTS 320 MB
Beta driver for NVIDIA SLI™ support for GeForce 8800 GTX/GTS GPUs
This driver supports the following features:
Single GPU support
DirectX 9 support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
DirectX 10 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
OpenGL support for GeForce 6/7/8 series GPUs
NVIDIA SLI support
DirectX 9 support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
OpenGL support for GeForce 8800 GPUs
DirectX 9 and OpenGL NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 6 and 7 series GPUs and DirectX 10 NVIDIA SLI support for GeForce 8800 GPUs will be available in a future driver
If you would like to be notified of upcoming drivers for Windows Vista, please subscribe to the newsletter
Please read the release notes for more information on product support, feature limitations, and known compatibility issues
Release Notes - 100.64

Now, if you are using a single g80, then you might get some benefit from a dx10 demo. But how are you going to do a dx10 demo geared for dx9 tech.??? What'd be the point?
February 15, 2007 7:22:24 AM

Quote:
Like I said before, by the time these companies get dx10 functional, windows will be on Vista 2.0, with only DX10.a support (not backwards compatible with dx10).

could you explain what is Vista 2 and all that about DX10a 8O
February 15, 2007 7:42:02 AM

So has anyone run the Cascades demo on their 8 series?
February 15, 2007 4:55:57 PM

I can't wait to get home and try it! Has anyone run the demo yet?
!