recommend a module for me

Hi all

Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules to
download.

Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of game,
hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)

Many thanks

Darren
21 answers Last reply
More about recommend module

    Darvin wrote:
    > Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules
    > download.
    >
    > Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    > game,
    > hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)

    I really enjoyed the Penultima and Penultima Rerolled series. Well-written
    and amusing. Their author, Stefan Gagne, has been hired to write a premium
    module. I haven't played his other modules, but those are also supposed to
    be good.

    The Penultima series are for brand-new characters, not high levels.

    Don't discount a persistant world, either. Those can be a time sink and a
    lot of fun.

    Katy

    Sands of Fate: Shadow Over Heliopolis is an excellent module - bug-free
    IME. It takes up after HotU so you can keep using that character :-)

    Be aware though, your items are stripped on start and youll need pretty
    high Search to find some plot-required secret doors (or you'll need to
    stock up on the potions that increase the skill), plus you need to
    carry water in the desert (!)

    Of course, there's Adam Miller's two series Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher,
    as well as the Harper's Tale series.

    Er, guess you could just search in the Hall of Fame or search by
    most-downloaded module :-)

    Darvin wrote:
    > Hi all
    >
    > Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some
    > modules to download.
    >
    > Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    > game, hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Darren

    If you like playing rogues take a look at The Rogues Of Quinn, that's an
    excellent series.

    Another rogue series is Guild War, which is also pretty nice.

    The Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher series is also terrific

    Devast8or
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Darvin" <celestienne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules to
    > download.
    >
    > Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    > game, hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Darren

    I just finished the Fate of Daggerdale. Excellent adventure.

  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Darvin" <celestienne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules to
    > download.
    >
    > Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    > game, hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)

    Blaak Chronicles is fun - kept me quite for a few weeks
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Darvin wrote :
    > Hi all
    >
    > Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules to
    > download.
    >
    > Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of game,
    > hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Darren

    Trust Lies Within, 1 and 2 were pretty decent I thought... well planned
    out with a decent storyline and pretty much bug-less as far as I could
    tell... Happy hunting!

    DS

    --
    As we passed on
    It seemed as if those scenes

    --- Meriwether Lewis.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Darvin" <celestienne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    >
    > Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules to
    > download.
    >
    > Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    game,
    > hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Darren

    Highly recommend the Ailund "Trilogy" I, II, and III. (Already projected to
    go out one more though, heh).
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Darvin wrote:
    >> Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules
    >> download.
    >>
    >> Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    >> game,
    >> hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)

    Eye of the Beholder...recreation of the rpg many of us fondly remember. Is
    a game in and of itself...

    D.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Diane" <phonyaddress@invaliddomain.com> wrote in message

    >> Darvin wrote:
    >>> Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules
    >>> download.
    >>>
    >>> Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    >>> game,
    >>> hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)
    >>

    > Eye of the Beholder...recreation of the rpg many of us fondly remember. Is
    > a game in and of itself...

    Didn't like that - just found myself lost in a HUGE maze
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 19:47:30 +0100, "Manky Badger"
    <spam@puritanDOTfreeserve.FULLSTOPcoSPOTuk> wrote:

    >"Diane" <phonyaddress@invaliddomain.com> wrote in message

    >> Eye of the Beholder...recreation of the rpg many of us fondly remember. Is
    >> a game in and of itself...
    >
    >Didn't like that - just found myself lost in a HUGE maze

    I felt the same way about the original EOB game. Just too much mapping
    was required.
    I have been really enjoying The Fall of Ullad by JSCairns.
    http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/modules/data/1074114097592.shtml

    JJ
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "Peridot" <peridotnot@notnoticeus.us> wrote in message

    > "Darvin" <celestienne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules
    >> to download.
    >>
    >> Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    >> game, hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Darren
    >>

    > I just finished the Fate of Daggerdale. Excellent adventure.

    I just gave up with that one !
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Another excellent series is "A Harper's Tale" (by Dave Mason, IIRC).
    Takes you up into epic levels and is a good romp. 9.5 out of 10.

    Fall of Daggerdale is mostly bug free, but tedious at parts and has a
    few annoying things. Caveat, it really is a good module with and
    interesting story line so far, and I may be sounding harsh below -
    don't mean to, I can honestly recommend it for play, but a few things
    prevent it from being excellent. Personally, I'd give it 7.5 out of
    10; it's just a whole bunch of small things.

    When I finish, I'll post back to the Vault for the author to read. In
    the meantime, some bad ideas, bugs and

    ** SPOILERS **

    Spoiler space

    Spoiler space

    Starting spoilers:

    Wererat-type critters standing in the NW corner by the garrison wall.
    I came upon them whilst at level 1 (rogue) and was just exploring the
    town. Without a magic weapon, I was unable to hurt them so I fled back
    to the guards, who eventually killed them. I had to run through the
    marketplace, so of course the wererats killed everyone in the
    marketplace. I'm fine with that, except...

    Rations required for resting, which is OK but somewhat tedious.
    Problem here is that there are two rations sellers - barmaid (Flo) and
    marketplace; and everyone in the marketplace just got slaughtered.
    Don't recall if the marketplace had other items that could only be
    purchased here, but that's moot now.

    Seems like 60% of the various treasure placements (barrels, chests,
    etc) have 1 or 2 gp; another 15% have 3 to 9 gp, and 20% seem empty.
    So, I buy rations from Flo - and it turns out she has unlimited gold
    and will pay twice as much as everyone else will for the Will of
    Lathander (recall item). Most merchants will buy it for 160 or so, and
    Flo pays 325 gp for it (she's become my primary "fence"). Normally,
    that's not huge, but...

    When I get those recall things, I usually sell them (or drop them, if
    they're plot items that can't be sold) so that I'm not tempted to use
    them as they're a wee bit cheesy for a low level character to have
    (though some of the areas are huge, featureless, and tedious, and some
    of the cavern areas are overly twisty and annoying to run through).
    Well, it turns out there's a script that checks if you have a Will of
    Lathander on loading the module, and gives you one if you don't. So,
    by selling it to Flo, saving, and reloading, you have infinite gold at
    325 a pop. Which, given the scarcity of treasure is awfully tempting.
    (OK, the treasure situation is not really that bad, but it is on the
    low side. There are a lot of corpses already laying around in certain
    battle areas, and I felt compelled to loot every one of them for
    anything to sell)

    The HQ front door is locked so that you can't see the local lord until
    the right moment (plot specified), but the side door is unlocked.

    I was trying to avoid using henchmen, because they all ask for 450 gp
    up front to join. (Did I mention a lack of gold?) At one point, when
    brokering a peace treaty, the top guy offers the services of his
    sergeant as a sign of good faith. Since he didn't mention any gold, I
    said, "sure, come with me" - and the next thing I knew, 450 gp was
    taken out of my inventory! No refunds, I guess :-)

    Heh, this is starting to sound like a rant, so I'll stop. I'm actually
    enjoying Fall of Daggerdale, mostly. Like I said, it's just a bunch of
    small things, and this module has a lot of promise and is better than
    most.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Hi, P

    I'm in chapt 3 of Fate of Daggerdale, based on your recommendation.
    Seems OK so far, but a lot of small things. I currently have 3
    unfinished quests I want to get off my list, and would appreciate your
    help (can't post to the NWVault because of Surf Control blocking the
    site, though Surf Control seems to occassionally go down for 15 minutes
    periodicall :-)

    Spoilers are OK, I just want to get these taken care of

    1) Buppi's Mine quest: been through all areas (unless I missed a secret
    door; and the portal seems to be broken) and didn't find anything to
    trigger that the quest was done. did I miss something that had to be
    returned to Buppi?

    2) Tethymar Councillor's daughter: went into the tower, went through
    all areas, led some prisoners back to daggerdale. No sign of the
    daughter though. did I miss an area or secret door?

    3) Gambler's wife: No sign of her. I've been to the Zhent area and
    brokered the peace, but expected to see her there. Could be I just
    haven't gotten to her yet.

    Thanks,
    Jack

    Peridot wrote:
    > "Darvin" wrote:424ab0ea$0$164$edfadb0f@dtext02.news.tele.dk...
    > > Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some
    modules to
    > > download.
    > > Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles
    of
    > > game, hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)

    > I just finished the Fate of Daggerdale. Excellent adventure.

  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On 20 Apr 2005 07:01:04 -0700, alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Hi, P
    >
    >I'm in chapt 3 of Fate of Daggerdale, based on your recommendation.
    >Seems OK so far, but a lot of small things. I currently have 3
    >unfinished quests I want to get off my list, and would appreciate your
    >help (can't post to the NWVault because of Surf Control blocking the
    >site, though Surf Control seems to occassionally go down for 15 minutes
    >periodicall :-)

    The Author makes clear there are some game killing bugs caused by not
    does quests in the right order. I am sure there are other quest
    problems as well. Maybe this will help?

    lebowski found a bug which can crop up when you complete quests in a
    certain order. I will not be able to fix this right away so read the
    following if you are stuck at the Dagger Falls Garrison quests..

    The 'Peace Envoy' quest doesnt have to be completed first once you
    leave the front gates of Dagger Falls.
    If you completed other quests first before Peace Envoy and find that
    the Daggerdale Captain and the 'other' captain dont seem to allow you
    to progress any further then you need to go to the console (press ` or
    ~ and type 'DebugMode 1'
    the press ~ or ` again and then type
    'dm_setvarint jobCaptDaggerfallsGuards 3'
    The console will say Target Select On or something, then click your
    PC.
    then go to the console again and type 'DebugMode 0'
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, P
    >
    > I'm in chapt 3 of Fate of Daggerdale, based on your recommendation.
    > Seems OK so far, but a lot of small things. I currently have 3
    > unfinished quests I want to get off my list, and would appreciate your
    > help (can't post to the NWVault because of Surf Control blocking the
    > site, though Surf Control seems to occassionally go down for 15 minutes
    > periodicall :-)
    >
    > Spoilers are OK, I just want to get these taken care of
    >
    > 1) Buppi's Mine quest: been through all areas (unless I missed a secret
    > door; and the portal seems to be broken) and didn't find anything to
    > trigger that the quest was done. did I miss something that had to be
    > returned to Buppi?
    >
    > 2) Tethymar Councillor's daughter: went into the tower, went through
    > all areas, led some prisoners back to daggerdale. No sign of the
    > daughter though. did I miss an area or secret door?
    >
    > 3) Gambler's wife: No sign of her. I've been to the Zhent area and
    > brokered the peace, but expected to see her there. Could be I just
    > haven't gotten to her yet.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jack

    That's *why* I gave up :o)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Drax wrote:
    > The Author makes clear there are some game killing bugs caused by not
    > does quests in the right order. I am sure there are other quest
    > problems as well. Maybe this will help?

    I suspected that could be a problem. Was there a Readme that gave the
    correct order? One of my issues is that if there is a certain order in
    which quests should be resolved, that should be made clear withing the
    module. I'm at work, so I can't check (most websites of interest to me
    are blocked by Surf Patrol here, but I realized that SP will allow me
    to look at Google cached pages) so I went back to the Vault and looked
    at the cached module page.

    I also just yesterday realized (by looking at the cached Vault page)
    that I should have started with a 7th level character (I started at
    1st!). That explains why some of the fights under the city were a bit
    tough. OTOH, if I started at 7th, I suspect most of them would have
    been too easy (goblins were the most common enemy so far, at 8th lvl
    now, IIRC, and I'm still running into goblins and orcs, most of which
    can be slain with a single arrow)

    A good place to put starting level info in the module description to
    the right (when you select New module in the game). Typically, I
    download mods at work (where I can do it on broadband vs on the old
    country phonelines at home, which give me 3~4 kbps on a good day).
    Unfortunately, unless Surf Patrol is asleep, I can't get to the posted
    readme on the vault.

    > lebowski found a bug which can crop up when you complete quests in a
    > certain order. I will not be able to fix this right away so read the
    > following if you are stuck at the Dagger Falls Garrison quests..

    I'm not sure if this is where I'm stuck or not. I can't get past the
    gates to Bloodstone. The Zhent captain doesn't want to hear about
    anything about what I'm doing and tells me to report to the Daggerdale
    captain - but the Daggerdale captain has sent me to see Randall Morn,
    who has given me some magic to get past the river.
    - but I can't get to Bloodstone.

    > The 'Peace Envoy' quest doesnt have to be completed first once you
    > leave the front gates of Dagger Falls. <snipped>

    Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight. I was about ready to give up on
    this one, like M Badger. So far, I've only given up on a few mods out
    of probably 30+ that I've played (Absalom Island stands out in my mind)
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    On 21 Apr 2005 05:48:57 -0700, alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:

    >Drax wrote:
    >> The Author makes clear there are some game killing bugs caused by not
    >> does quests in the right order. I am sure there are other quest
    >> problems as well. Maybe this will help?
    >
    >I suspected that could be a problem. Was there a Readme that gave the
    >correct order? One of my issues is that if there is a certain order in
    >which quests should be resolved, that should be made clear withing the
    >module. I'm at work, so I can't check (most websites of interest to me
    >are blocked by Surf Patrol here, but I realized that SP will allow me
    >to look at Google cached pages) so I went back to the Vault and looked
    >at the cached module page.

    No readme on the order of quest but, he said he would fix the problem.
    He last posted on Mar 30.

    >I also just yesterday realized (by looking at the cached Vault page)
    >that I should have started with a 7th level character (I started at
    >1st!). That explains why some of the fights under the city were a bit
    >tough. OTOH, if I started at 7th, I suspect most of them would have
    >been too easy (goblins were the most common enemy so far, at 8th lvl
    >now, IIRC, and I'm still running into goblins and orcs, most of which
    >can be slain with a single arrow)

    On the website it says single player you should start at 5th level

    Good Luck ;-)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > Drax wrote:

    > Thanks, I'll give it a shot tonight. I was about ready to give up on
    > this one, like M Badger.

    That's very formal - call me "Manky" - all my friends do :o) (They actaully
    do !!)

    > So far, I've only given up on a few mods out
    > of probably 30+ that I've played (Absalom Island stands out in my mind)

    I find myself giving up on ones that don't have journals.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    > >Drax wrote:
    > >> The Author makes clear there are some game killing bugs caused by
    not
    > >> does quests in the right order. I am sure there are other quest
    > >> problems as well. Maybe this will help?

    The fix (debug mode) didn't help, so it must have been some _other_
    bug. There have been too many things that have made this not very
    enjoyable to play (I'll probably rank it lower than the 7.5/10 that I
    originally suggested).

    > On the website it says single player you should start at 5th level
    > Good Luck ;-)

    Thanks, but I gave up on actually playing Fate of Daggerdale.
    I took a higher level character through just to see the end and I'm
    glad I didn't spend any more time on it. At this point, I wouldn't
    personally recommend this module to anyone. Each to their own tastes, I
    guess, but although the story line is promising, too many small things
    made it unenjoyable for me.

    OTOH, I found Beggar's Rattle (fall of Ullad) very enjoyable and
    playing #2 of the series now. It's an older mod (henchman control is
    primitive, like the OC) but fun to play and well written.
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    "seeker124" <seeker124@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > "Darvin" <celestienne@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> Finally played through both expansions and now looking for some modules
    >> download.
    >>
    >> Any out there that are well worth a look? (I am open to all styles of
    > game,
    >> hacking, roleplaying, quirky, anything)
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Darren
    >>
    > Highly recommend the Ailund "Trilogy" I, II, and III. (Already projected
    > go out one more though, heh).

    I'm just starting the third bit - I LOVE the background music. the blurb
    with part three says there's a part four, but it's not at the Neverwinter
    Vault - or if it is, I can't find it.

    Help ?

    MB
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

    Manky Badger wrote:
    > "seeker124" <seeker124@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > > Highly recommend the Ailund "Trilogy" I, II, and III. (Already
    projected
    > > to go out one more though, heh).
    >
    > I'm just starting the third bit - I LOVE the background music. the
    blurb
    > with part three says there's a part four, but it's not at the
    Neverwinter
    > Vault - or if it is, I can't find it.
    > Help ?

    I'd post a link, but SurfPatrol blocks me out. However, near the top
    of any download page of a module by the same author, following the
    author's name, there's an "all modules" link. Click on that and you
    should see all modules created by that author.

    I started Aieulund I but usually play with the music turned off (cuz I
    usually play after the kiddies and wife are in bed), but I guess I'm
    missing out :)
    Guess I'll have to turn on the speakers, or at least remember to plug
    in the headphones :)

Download Hacking Games Video Games