Do I have basics of OC correct?

sttobin

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2006
I have written the following to give myself a basic understanding of OC by raising the motherboard clock frequency. Please let me know if what I say below is correct.

And Thanks.

The way OC works using motherboard clock frequency.

The current motherboard clock frequency of an Intel core2duo CPU is 266 MHz. This is quad pumped, four instructions per cycle, by Intel to yield an effective 1066 FSB.

Memory is double pumped, two instructions per cycle, so minimum memory requirement is 533Mhz.

Because CPU is at stock clock frequency, FSB to Memory ratio is 1:1 (CPU at 266MHz to Memory at 266MHz).

If you are going to overclock by raising the clock frequency and want to maintain a 1:1 ratio you must have memory which can handle the OC. For example, if you boost the motherboard clock frequency from 266MHz to 333MHz, the memory should be 667DDR2. This is because the 667DDR2 memory is 333MHz double pumped.

If you raise the motherboard clock frequency, you probably will have to raise the vcore of the CPU to maintain stability. This should be done in .1v increases. As you increase the motherboard clock frequency more heat will be generated by the CPU which the stock Intel CPU fan may not be able to handle. So you will have to look at more efficient CPU air fan or liquid coolers.

Memory voltage should range somewhere between 1.8v and 2.1v again based on stability. If you raise the memory voltage higher than 2.1, you could experience major problems with your memory, unless you have an effective cooling system for the memory.

bigslickak

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2007
I am still experimenting with some overclocking myself with the new technology. It seems you have the basic jist of it. One thing that I noticed is that you seem to see an upping of the Vcore as being a probable occurance to maintain stability, I can tell you that my modest overclock to 400FSB (see my system in my sig) required no real increase of the Vcore. This is on a stock heat sink/fan.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
In regards to Overclocking, you should remember that all of the Core2Duos are basically manufactured using the same process.

The cheaper CPUs have certain features disable or lower hard-coded settings, but they are otherwise basically the same chip.

As a result, you can likely Clock an E6300 to the same frequency as an E6800 and run on the same voltage as is used by the E6800. Also the voltage is likely to cause no issues for the E6300. This is why cheaper chips are so easy to overclock.

Once you start pushing these chips beyond the normal top speeds of the E6800 is when you may start needing to see the need for higher voltages and non-standard cooling devices. This is also in the range where there should start to be concern for the long-term health of the system as you are starting to push the system beyond it's design limits.

Now, I would expect the E6800 to have design limit headroom so it is not immediately past these speeds you get concerned but as you get well past them. It should also be noted that the slower chips are not necessarily tested at the higher speeds to they may not work there.

In may case, I took an E4300 @1.8GHZ and clocked it to 3.0GHZ.
I was able to do this w/o voltage increases and keep my Artic Pro7 cooler running at very low fan speeds. (I like quiet :>)

I have no doubt this system will not but hurt in the least by the 2/3 OC.

I could likely get the OC to 3.2 or 3.4 and stable, but for me personally, its not worth the added noise and personal concern for system componetns.