Sign in with
Your question

Stable socket 939 boards to use with Opteron 165?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 7, 2007 1:20:27 PM

Hi,
I am in the market for a modest upgraded computer.
I need this computer for minor graphics designing, and games don't apply.
I am wanting of a system with an Opteron 165 CPU, but I do not want an expensive, server motherboard. I know I can put in a desktop s939 board, but since I am not a total tech-genius, I don't know what brand and model I should choose.

I suppose I can moderately overclock, but more so than overclocking, I want a cheap, yet very stable motherboard that won't fry in a year or two.
Suggestions, Please.
Thanks.
February 8, 2007 6:01:16 AM

abit KN8.
KN8 SLI if you want to do away with the noise of a chipset fan.
February 8, 2007 5:38:55 PM

thanks!

i've also been thinking about the RS482 Infinity by DFI, what is your take on this model?

thanks again.
Related resources
February 8, 2007 9:45:35 PM

Are you looking for a single or dual video card solution?
February 8, 2007 11:50:52 PM

Quote:
Hi,
I am wanting of a system with an Opteron 165 CPU, but I do not want an expensive, server motherboard. I know I can put in a desktop s939 board, but since I am not a total tech-genius, I don't know what brand and model I should choose.

I suppose I can moderately overclock, but more so than overclocking, I want a cheap, yet very stable motherboard that won't fry in a year or two.
Suggestions, Please.
Thanks.

Anything from aBit, Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, and sometimes MSI. MSI support kinda sucks, so they get a half vote.

Now you have to narrow it down as to what goodies you want. 4 SataII connectors, plain jane nForce4 chipset. Integrated graphics? geForce 6150 mobo. 2 Vid cards? nForce4 SLI mobo.
February 9, 2007 12:01:44 AM

replying to the video card solution, I'm just going to use the integrated video card, since I won't play games.

i am pretty sure i'm going to go with DFI Infinity RS482, but now, my concerns are that (on what i've read): USB stinks, CPU and chipset are really close together and produces heat, and is cramped.

also, I read that you could put in a Zalman CNPS7700AlCu/Cu heatsink, but I want to avoid compatibility issues.

sorry for the many issues.
thank you guys.
February 9, 2007 3:40:00 AM

Quote:
replying to the video card solution, I'm just going to use the integrated video card, since I won't play games.

i am pretty sure i'm going to go with DFI Infinity RS482, but now, my concerns are that (on what i've read): USB stinks, CPU and chipset are really close together and produces heat, and is cramped.

also, I read that you could put in a Zalman CNPS7700AlCu/Cu heatsink, but I want to avoid compatibility issues.

sorry for the many issues.
thank you guys.

Then you may be happy with a geforce 6150 mobo with the integrated graphics. they weren't all that bad. I had the gigabyte one, but has issues with having to hold the power button in when I reconnected the power or it wouldn't POST. After about a year, it crapped out.

I'm quite impressed with Intel's G965 integrated X3000 graphics. I tested it against a 7600 GS card and both results were comparable. I know, this doesn't help you, but if you decide to come over to the dark side, this might be a good starting point for you.
February 9, 2007 3:50:41 AM

Quote:
Hi,

Suggestions, Please.
Thanks.

I have this motherboard in my other computer. It's used for a home Theater PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...

That motherboard plus this processor will go a long way as far as performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
February 9, 2007 6:57:25 AM

if it's anything like here you're going to be limited as to what you can actually find to buy. 939 mATX boards are pretty scarce in the UK these days except s/h.
February 9, 2007 7:19:05 AM

See my sig....SLI on the cheap. Plenty stable, easy OC. No fans to worry about burning out. A no-brainer.
!