Stable socket 939 boards to use with Opteron 165?

Hi,
I am in the market for a modest upgraded computer.
I need this computer for minor graphics designing, and games don't apply.
I am wanting of a system with an Opteron 165 CPU, but I do not want an expensive, server motherboard. I know I can put in a desktop s939 board, but since I am not a total tech-genius, I don't know what brand and model I should choose.

I suppose I can moderately overclock, but more so than overclocking, I want a cheap, yet very stable motherboard that won't fry in a year or two.
Suggestions, Please.
Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about stable socket boards opteron
  1. abit KN8.
    KN8 SLI if you want to do away with the noise of a chipset fan.
  2. thanks!

i've also been thinking about the RS482 Infinity by DFI, what is your take on this model?

thanks again.
  3. Are you looking for a single or dual video card solution?
  4. Quote:
    Hi,
    I am wanting of a system with an Opteron 165 CPU, but I do not want an expensive, server motherboard. I know I can put in a desktop s939 board, but since I am not a total tech-genius, I don't know what brand and model I should choose.

I suppose I can moderately overclock, but more so than overclocking, I want a cheap, yet very stable motherboard that won't fry in a year or two.
    Suggestions, Please.
    Thanks.

Anything from aBit, Asus, Gigabyte, DFI, and sometimes MSI. MSI support kinda sucks, so they get a half vote.

Now you have to narrow it down as to what goodies you want. 4 SataII connectors, plain jane nForce4 chipset. Integrated graphics? geForce 6150 mobo. 2 Vid cards? nForce4 SLI mobo.
  5. replying to the video card solution, I'm just going to use the integrated video card, since I won't play games.

i am pretty sure i'm going to go with DFI Infinity RS482, but now, my concerns are that (on what i've read): USB stinks, CPU and chipset are really close together and produces heat, and is cramped.

also, I read that you could put in a Zalman CNPS7700AlCu/Cu heatsink, but I want to avoid compatibility issues.

sorry for the many issues.
    thank you guys.
  6. Quote:
    replying to the video card solution, I'm just going to use the integrated video card, since I won't play games.

i am pretty sure i'm going to go with DFI Infinity RS482, but now, my concerns are that (on what i've read): USB stinks, CPU and chipset are really close together and produces heat, and is cramped.

also, I read that you could put in a Zalman CNPS7700AlCu/Cu heatsink, but I want to avoid compatibility issues.

sorry for the many issues.
    thank you guys.

Then you may be happy with a geforce 6150 mobo with the integrated graphics. they weren't all that bad. I had the gigabyte one, but has issues with having to hold the power button in when I reconnected the power or it wouldn't POST. After about a year, it crapped out.

I'm quite impressed with Intel's G965 integrated X3000 graphics. I tested it against a 7600 GS card and both results were comparable. I know, this doesn't help you, but if you decide to come over to the dark side, this might be a good starting point for you.
  7. Quote:
    Hi,

Suggestions, Please.
    Thanks.

I have this motherboard in my other computer. It's used for a home Theater PC.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128024

That motherboard plus this processor will go a long way as far as performance.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819115005
  8. if it's anything like here you're going to be limited as to what you can actually find to buy. 939 mATX boards are pretty scarce in the UK these days except s/h.
  9. See my sig....SLI on the cheap. Plenty stable, easy OC. No fans to worry about burning out. A no-brainer.
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Computer Opteron Overclocking Product