Sharing internet connection

hammer

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2001

I have two networked machines both running w2k. I want to
share my broadband connection which is connected to one
machine using the w2k function. I use Nortens internet
security software and Virus protection software on the
machine with the modem. My question is, if I am going to
allow the 2nd machine to share the connection, do I need
to install the Nortens software on it as well.

You definitely want to have virus protection on both machines. You can still get
infected on the second computer via disk media, email attachments, or even web
content if you set your security too low in IE. I would also suggest a nat
router/firewall which cost less than one month of your broadband service. You still
can use the personal firewall on both computers as extra protection if you want but a
nat router/firewall will keep all the garbage off of your computers nic and improve
performance and they are mostly set and forget devices. If you ever misconfigure your
personal firewall even for a couple minutes or it becomes disabled by a software
conflict you can get hit hard on a broadband connection. --- Steve

"Hammer" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have two networked machines both running w2k. I want to
> share my broadband connection which is connected to one
> machine using the w2k function. I use Nortens internet
> security software and Virus protection software on the
> machine with the modem. My question is, if I am going to
> allow the 2nd machine to share the connection, do I need
> to install the Nortens software on it as well.

Yes, that would be very smart... The traffic that goes from internet to the
second PC won't get scanned...

Mike