Concurrent Logins W2K Server

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
June 17, 2004 11:37:01 PM

I would like to know how to limit the number of concurrent logins on a W2K server. Is this done through policies? If so where??
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 18, 2004 8:11:43 AM

Believe it or not there is no Group Policy to do such. CConnect from the
Resource Kit can do such but requires a Sql server on the network and a client
component. There are other third party programs that can do the same and do not
need a Sql server. In AD you can limit which computers a user can logon to in
the domain with their domain account in their account properties/account. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237282
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260364 --- may work
for some situations.
http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips331.shtml --- mention of third party
product

"TB" <TB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I would like to know how to limit the number of concurrent logins on a W2K
server. Is this done through policies? If so where??

Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 18, 2004 8:11:44 AM

circa Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:11:43 GMT, in
microsoft.public.win2000.security, Steven Umbach (n9rou@n0spam-
comcast.net) said,
> Believe it or not there is no Group Policy to do such.

It's not so unbelievable when you consider the nature of AD and of
GP.

Laura
-Oscar Wilde
a b 8 Security
June 18, 2004 1:47:44 PM

It is unbelievable when you consider Novell has been doing this for years.

"Laura A. Robinson [MVP]" <geekwench@snippit.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> circa Fri, 18 Jun 2004 04:11:43 GMT, in
> microsoft.public.win2000.security, Steven Umbach (n9rou@n0spam-
> comcast.net) said,
> > Believe it or not there is no Group Policy to do such.
> >
> It's not so unbelievable when you consider the nature of AD and of
> GP.
>
> Laura
> --
> Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes.
> -Oscar Wilde
June 21, 2004 3:07:01 AM

thanx Steven - I thought I was going mad when i couldn't find it .. surely others have wanted to do this ... at least i can stop looking now.

TB

"Steven Umbach" wrote:

> Believe it or not there is no Group Policy to do such. CConnect from the
> Resource Kit can do such but requires a Sql server on the network and a client
> component. There are other third party programs that can do the same and do not
> need a Sql server. In AD you can limit which computers a user can logon to in
> the domain with their domain account in their account properties/account. ---
> Steve
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237282
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;260364 --- may work
> for some situations.
> http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips331.shtml --- mention of third party
> product
>
> "TB" <TB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I would like to know how to limit the number of concurrent logins on a W2K
> server. Is this done through policies? If so where??

January 12, 2008 5:46:21 PM

We tested a few options as described above, but found a solution that works best for us. We use Limit Logins which can be found here:
http://www.sonarware.com

:hello:
!