Sufficient Security Privileges

System will not allow administator to update hardware.
Receive message "You do not have sufficient security
privileges to install or uninstall devices on this
computer. Please Contact your site administrator, or log
off and log on again as an administrator and try again".
Formated hard drive several times to clear problem but,
continue to receive same problem when hotfixes (patches)
have been applied. If patches are not applied I risk
infecting my computer. PLEASE help!!!!

circa Thu, 17 Jun 2004 20:18:21 -0700, in
microsoft.public.win2000.security, Harvey McReynolds (mac1jen1
@sbcglobal.net) said,

> System will not allow administator to update hardware.
> Receive message "You do not have sufficient security
> privileges to install or uninstall devices on this
> computer. Please Contact your site administrator, or log
> off and log on again as an administrator and try again".
> Formated hard drive several times to clear problem but,
> continue to receive same problem when hotfixes (patches)
> have been applied. If patches are not applied I risk
> infecting my computer. PLEASE help!!!!

Is this machine a member of a domain? Is it running Windows 2000 (I
assume it is based on where you posted it, but it doesn't hurt to
check)?

Laura
-Oscar Wilde

That seems very odd that it keeps happening after reformats unless you are
applying security templates or such after the install or are using an image that
has security policy applied to it besides default. Anyhow see the link below on
using secedit to reset security settings to default defined permissions though I
would try using the /areas user_rights switch first as it may be a user right
issue. Make sure you are indeed logging on as an administrator by using "net
user username" and "net localgroup administrators" to verify administrator
rights. Note that if you are on a network protected by a firewall that does not
have other infected computers your risk on infection immediately is reduced
significantly. If you are not using a firewall then your computer may have been
infected each time you had a problem. A quick fix that is not a long term
solution is to implement IP filtering by enabling ONLY for tcp ports and add no
ports to the list. [If you enable udp your dns name resolution will fail] ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309798 --- only configure TCP "allow
only"and list no ports. This will allow outbound access for you but protect TCP
ports from uninitiated inbound attacks which is where almost all attacks occur.

"Harvey McReynolds" <mac1jen1@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> System will not allow administator to update hardware.
> Receive message "You do not have sufficient security
> privileges to install or uninstall devices on this
> computer. Please Contact your site administrator, or log
> off and log on again as an administrator and try again".
> Formated hard drive several times to clear problem but,
> continue to receive same problem when hotfixes (patches)
> have been applied. If patches are not applied I risk
> infecting my computer. PLEASE help!!!!

Thanks, the link you provided solved the problem.

Glad it worked and thanks for reporting back. --- Steve