domain name and domain controller info

Hello all,

Kindly let me know the implication if "the PUBLIC" knows what exactly is my
internal "network" domain name for example: WORKGROUP1 (not my FQDN) and the
name of my domain controller (DC) SERWER2K ?

Can this be hidden from the public? I just realize that my laptop is
actually sending these info everytime I logon to use it especially at the
airport's wi-fi hotspots. Its a fact that anyone with a sniffer running on
the same wi-fi band will get this info... those are two very important info
about my network. Can anyone take advantage of these info and do anything
with it?

Kindly shed a light on this topic. Much appreciated.

TIA
DMC

If the network transmission is not encrypted then yes information such as computer
names, domain names can be sniffed. I don't think it is a big deal if your network is
protected by a firewall and complex passwords are used for access. Just be sure you
never enter any passwords over a non encrypted connection. Keep in mind that
https/ssl and vpn connections are encrypted and I don't recommend that you save any
passwords on the computer [they need to be entered every time]. --- Steve