temporary internet files - corrupted?

Adam

Ok My ISP sent me an e-mail warning me that an e-mail from
my adress was sent containnig a virus: WORM_NETSKY.P. I
found this odd because I had a similar problem and had a
trojan horse, so i got an anti-virus installed and scan
now once a week. So I looked up the virus and downloaded
a removal program.

The program always got stuck at the temporary intenet
files folder it seemed to be going in a loop or on an on
for an hour. So I went to the folder and found about
27,000 files! I proceded to delete them manually, only
about 15 remained and the system refused to delete them.
So I ran scandisk. Same thing unable to read disk it said.
I got info on the folder and it tallied up a whopping 4
gigs, 47,000 files and 86 folders, all unviewable!

I might be that I had become some storage device for a
hacker. Now how do I remove these invisible files????

Thanks a million!

Adam

You have been compromised and probably are a ftp server or such. There are techniques
to delete the files as in the link below though you really should consider
reformatting your hard drive and doing a fresh install of the operating system after
backing up your data including your user profile under documents and settings and any
helpful configuration info such as tcp/ip settings and news/mail accounts. Be sure to
scan your backup media before restoring it. Be sure not to connect to the internet
for service pack/critical updates until you have a firewall installed and are using a
virus scanner that is up to date and scans all your emails also.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081 --- tips for removing stubborn files.

If you are going to try to repair as is be sure to do a FULL virus scan and also run
version 1.3 of SpyBot Search and Destroy to look for parasites/spyware/malware and
take steps as described above to prevent future attacks. --- Steve

http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html?part=104443&subj=dlpage&tag=button
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym -- online virus
scan