I recently setup a dual boot on an old computer (windows xp pro sp2 &
windows 98). I did not install any drivers for the 98 setup and it's
using 4 gig's of space on c drive as a security measure. It's setup as
a media pc in a community center and crashes in 98, which is what I
wanted it to do, Stop the kids from messing with the pc when I'm not
there. Got alot of hardware installed.

My question is can I now safely install 98 se, the drivers and software
on this partition without it affecting my dual setup? I don't think it
would be a problem but I thought I'd check with the rest of the group
to be sure.

Do every thing just as you would on a Win98 only system. Drivers are
written to the system folder and not to the boot track. Each operating
system needs its own full set of drivers.

btw, please start a new thread with New Post and a subject line describing
your question in general terms rather than using an existing thread with
Reply Group to ask your own questions.

Mark R wrote:
> I recently setup a dual boot on an old computer (windows xp pro sp2 &
> windows 98). I did not install any drivers for the 98 setup and it's
> using 4 gig's of space on c drive as a security measure. It's setup as
> a media pc in a community center and crashes in 98, which is what I
> wanted it to do, Stop the kids from messing with the pc when I'm not
> there. Got alot of hardware installed.
>
> My question is can I now safely install 98 se, the drivers and
> software on this partition without it affecting my dual setup? I
> don't think it would be a problem but I thought I'd check with the
> rest of the group to be sure.

I am on thin ice here, but I think your best bet would be to boot Windows
98, insert your 98SE CD and run the installation as an update from there.

After the end of this process you might or might not find that your boot
loader is messed up and that the computer only boots 98SE. If this is the
case you must boot with your XP CD, enter the recovery console, type the
command 'fixmbr' and reboot.

TRENDING THREADS