SHARES DO NOT WORK

dreuzel

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
I set up my shares filling individual names that seems to work but is COMPLETELY UNMANAGEABLE
I replace the ACL BY A COMMON GROUP NOTHING WILL WORK /I LOG in as the same even administrative user

is this a BUG
is this intended
is windows 7 ultimate just a stupid toy ?????

can someone please confirm or deny the behavior !!!!!
file security does not play since the user works ....
SAME BEHAVIOR for all shares independent of any network setting (use workgroup/homegroup environment not domain !)

we can generalize what we want, and declare "it works just fine"
as functions as groups ={user 1,user2,user3, userN} (suppose only 10 users)
connecting to a share

share1: allow user1:full
share1: allow user2:full
share1: allow user3:full
share1: allow user4:full
share1: allow usern:full

for 10 shares, this becomes 100 operations 100 test 100 verifications 100 times more management (forgetting about all possible interactions with other shares and files) then
share1: group:full

this last sentence does not work independently if its home work or .....
independently of any firewall

for files it seems to be working correct you can say file/directory group: full access and more ...
for shares the descriptions state that it is possible but in reality YOU DO NOT GET ANY PERMISSION!!!

All I ask is to CONFIRM not saying "all works well" it is not trough.
as far as I know there are and should not be any policy, settings, ..... definitions restrictions
except eventually the XP home version, But here I'm running on a WINDOWS7 ULTIMATE with all the patches in place

Share privileges that do work :
UserName (unmanagable)
NETWORK( but then all security is gone)
EVERYONE(but then all security is GONE)

What DOES Not work :
A GROUP name Group={User1,user2,user3....}
ADMINISTRATORS (you can not allow administrators to open shares ...)

Or I am doing something incredibly wrong ,
OR there is a HUGE BUG in WIndows 7 killing all possible security

Im in urgent need of a solution

Group accounts given rights to shares work fine, you just need to make sure the users accounts you use are correct. Since you are not using a domain, all the accounts would be "local", but you need to specify if they are local on the PC with the share, or local on the PC you are connecting from, and that those same accounts are in the group you gave rights to the share. Also make sure that file permissions are also set, not just share rights.

If you are doing this for work, look into creating a domain structure. If at home, don't worry too much about the security if you have a Router and Firewall setup.

dreuzel

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
thanks for the advice (i'ts a matter of scale and additional machines/ different os ..... linux/windows...)

but I found the solution/reason: it is bad!!!!!
as soon as you work with a homegroup username /password as you state above is automatically overwritten!!!! by HomeGroupUser$ in the
credential Manager causing all kinds of problems and security issues for everyone !!!!
see new thread "Shared files in win7 corrupted by HOMEgoup settings."

thanks for your reaction i consider this thread closed