IPAQ 2210 MMC Card - weird problem!

May 5, 2005 11:45:41 PM

My Ipaq 2210 has suddenly stopped recognizing MMC cards, some of the
time. SD cards always work, and CF cards work.

Yesterday it started, and the only way to make it see the MMC card was
to hold it down as far it possible before the card clicks into place.
The moment it clicks into place it stops seeing the MMC card. SD cards
appear to work fine 100% of the time, and I have tried multiple cards,
which all work fine in a card reader and phone - so i can rule out a
dodgy mm card.

Today, after blowing down the SD/MMC slot - it has now started seeing
the MMC cards, although it is patchy - sometimes it disappear from the
list and needs another "blow" This suggests to me that it might just be
dirt in the slot. I have tried air duster, and I dont want to take it
apart. Without causing damge to the slot, how can I clean it? Is this a
known issue? I have all the Ipaq updates.

Any suggestions?

--
Marc
See http://www.imarc.co.uk/ for contact details.

"Marc" <see@signature.url> wrote in message
| My Ipaq 2210 has suddenly stopped recognizing MMC cards, some of the
| time. SD cards always work, and CF cards work.
|
| Yesterday it started, and the only way to make it see the MMC card
was
| to hold it down as far it possible before the card clicks into place.
| The moment it clicks into place it stops seeing the MMC card. SD
cards
| appear to work fine 100% of the time, and I have tried multiple
cards,
| which all work fine in a card reader and phone - so i can rule out a
| dodgy mm card.
|
| Today, after blowing down the SD/MMC slot - it has now started seeing
| the MMC cards, although it is patchy - sometimes it disappear from
the
| list and needs another "blow" This suggests to me that it might just
be
| dirt in the slot. I have tried air duster, and I dont want to take it
| apart. Without causing damge to the slot, how can I clean it? Is this
| known issue? I have all the Ipaq updates.
|
| Any suggestions?
|

| --
| Marc

Have you looked through the newsgroup archives? This may have been
covered.

I've seen in some groups that issues like this have been sorted by
increasing contact pressure on the card- but it is done at your own
risk. Add a layer of sellotape to the back of the card and try.
May 6, 2005 8:31:23 PM

Hi Alan,

I did search extensively on Google groups before posting, and could only
find a few articles that didn't apply to my model or were SD and MMC
cards not working, rather than just MMC. Thanks for your idea, I will
give it a go.

Marc
May 6, 2005 8:41:23 PM

Marc wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> I did search extensively on Google groups before posting, and could
> only find a few articles that didn't apply to my model or were SD and
> MMC cards not working, rather than just MMC. Thanks for your idea, I
> will give it a go.
>
> Marc

Do you need to use MMC? Are you swapping the MMC cards between the iPAQ and
another device that uses MMC only?

--
Darren Griffin
Editor

Darren Griffin - PocketGPSWorld.Com wrote:

> Do you need to use MMC? Are you swapping the MMC cards between the iPAQ and
> another device that uses MMC only?

I have a range of MMC, SD and CF cards. MMC is cheaper than SD, and I
already have a compact flash card in it all the time, having both in at
once is more convenient. Price was the factor here, 512MB for about £20
is very good, its well known make (Viking).

Since I have already paid for two MMC cards, I'd rather not switch to a
different format. I do have an SD card, but its a low capacity one.
The PDA is only a year old. I think about 3 years is enough time before
I'd say i'd "got my money's worth" and would buy either a new device,
and if needed new memory.

So far the Air Duster seems to have fixed it. What with the side grips
falling off, and 5 way button popping out I'm not rating this iPaq very
high on the build quality. Shame, since in every other respect,
functionality, size, and battery life its very good.

In contrast, my Nokia 6630 is indistructable but with many software bugs
:o )

--
!