Windows cannot load user's profile

Recently I've been getting this message that won't go
away when initially logging in:

"Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged
you on with the default profile for the system.

DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a
file into the registry, but the specified file is not in
a registry file format."

Can anyone please offer any advice on how to resolve
this?

Many thanks,
Chris
1 answer Last reply
More about windows load user profile

    First try logging in as an administrator and running Check Disk to see if that helps.
    If it does not you probably have a corrupt user profile and need to delete it and
    then a new "default" profile will be generated when you logon with that user account.
    First logon as an administrator that is not using that account and copy your profile
    [a folder named that same as your logon name under documents and settings] to another
    place on your hard drive or to a cdrom. Your emails, favorites, and other data
    including your my documents folder is in your user profile. Then go control
    panel/system/advanced/user profiles - settings where you can delete and copy a
    profile. You could also try to create a new user account, logon to create the
    profile, logoff and logon as an administrator and try to copy the problem profile
    over to the new account/profile you just created being sure to give the target user
    permissions to the profile in the permitted to use box. --- Steve

    http://www.winbookcorp.com/_technote/WBTA09000815.htm

    "Chris" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently I've been getting this message that won't go
    > away when initially logging in:
    >
    > "Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged
    > you on with the default profile for the system.
    >
    > DETAIL - The system has attempted to load or restore a
    > file into the registry, but the specified file is not in
    > a registry file format."
    >
    > Can anyone please offer any advice on how to resolve
    > this?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Chris

Registry Windows