Log-in Problems

I turn on my computer as usual. (Windows 2000) It prompts me to my log-in password. Once enter my password I get and error message that says..."Windows cannot load user's profile-sending user to a default profile-Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested services". I click OK. Then I get a screen with my background but there are no folders or start up menu on the desktop. From this point the only command I can do is CTRL+ALT+DEL. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about problems

    Do you have a workstation from which you can remotely view the registry and
    filesystem of the affected machine?

    If so, try the following:

    How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221833

    This will create a text file in %systemroot%\debug\usermode that you can
    examine to try and debug the problem. NOt that there's a lot of information
    in this file. Also, it will legitimately contain lines that say "warning"
    and "error". If you have trouble identifying the problem, post back with
    the resulting file.

    Because you can't use the system, you'll need to access the machine from its
    administrative share (\\machine\c$) over the network to get to the file.

    You may also find the following helpful.

    TechNet Support WebCast: Troubleshooting Group Policy and profile issues in
    a domain environment by using Userenv logging
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835302

    Hope this helps

    Oli

    "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I turn on my computer as usual. (Windows 2000) It prompts me to my log-in
    >password. Once enter my password I get and error message that
    >says..."Windows cannot load user's profile-sending user to a default
    >profile-Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested
    >services". I click OK. Then I get a screen with my background but there
    >are no folders or start up menu on the desktop. From this point the only
    >command I can do is CTRL+ALT+DEL. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

    Sorry, that should have read "Note that there's a lot of information in this
    file."

    Oli

    "Oli Restorick [MVP]" <oli@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > Do you have a workstation from which you can remotely view the registry
    > and filesystem of the affected machine?
    >
    > If so, try the following:
    >
    > How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;221833
    >
    > This will create a text file in %systemroot%\debug\usermode that you can
    > examine to try and debug the problem. NOt that there's a lot of
    > information in this file. Also, it will legitimately contain lines that
    > say "warning" and "error". If you have trouble identifying the problem,
    > post back with the resulting file.
    >
    > Because you can't use the system, you'll need to access the machine from
    > its administrative share (\\machine\c$) over the network to get to the
    > file.
    >
    > You may also find the following helpful.
    >
    > TechNet Support WebCast: Troubleshooting Group Policy and profile issues
    > in a domain environment by using Userenv logging
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;835302
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Oli
    >

    > "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I turn on my computer as usual. (Windows 2000) It prompts me to my log-in
    >>password. Once enter my password I get and error message that
    >>says..."Windows cannot load user's profile-sending user to a default
    >>profile-Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested
    >>services". I click OK. Then I get a screen with my background but there
    >>are no folders or start up menu on the desktop. From this point the only
    >>command I can do is CTRL+ALT+DEL. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Login Windows