how to deploy patch?

Sabri

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2004

Hi..

how to deploy patch to many w2k pc (not login to domain
controler or stand alone pc). I'm working at campus with
many user that use w2k.

The best way is to use an AD domain in which case you can configure all the computers
via Group Policy to use a SUS server on the local network. The FAQ for SUS is in the
link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susfaq.mspx
http://www.bris.ac.uk/is/services/computers/operatingsystems/sus/configuring.html

If you are not in a domain you can still configure the computers to automatically
download and install critical updates by configuring the Windows Update configuration
on each computer. If you configure by schedule, the users that logon do not need to
be local administrators. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/windows2000/updates.asp -- schedule
automatic updates

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:17:46 -0700, "sabri" <sabri@pkrisc.cc.ukm.my>
wrote:

>how to deploy patch to many w2k pc (not login to domain
>controler or stand alone pc). I'm working at campus with
>many user that use w2k.

Login script, global policy, SMS, SUS, patch management software, take
your pick. It depends greatly on what you have available in your
environement.

Jeff

sabri wrote:

> how to deploy patch to many w2k pc (not login to domain
> controler or stand alone pc). I'm working at campus with
> many user that use w2k.
Hi

I would have considered implementing SUS (free) or something
similar (links to some 3rd party products further down)
for security patches.

Microsoft Software Update Services (SUS)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/default.mspx

Microsoft Software Update Services: Frequently Asked Questions
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/susfaq.mspx

Patch Management Using Microsoft Software Update Services - Operations Guide
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/msm/swdist/pmsusog.asp

Note that the current version will only install critical updates and security
rollup packages (SRPs), as well as SP4 for Win2k and SP1 for WinXP.

A new version is in the works:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=ungsInEZDHA.2336%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/wusfaq.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserversystem/sus/wusbeta.mspx

SUS needs to be installed on a IIS server. Supports Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3
clients only. SP1 for WinXP and SP3/4 for Win2k installs the WU/SUS client as
default.

There is a separate newsgroup for SUS:
microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

URL to the group softwareupdatesvcs for those who uses the Web
interface to access the newsgroups:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/community/newsgroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.softwareupdatesvcs

A Web site about SUS with a FAQ and a SUS forum:

SUSserver.com
http://www.susserver.com/

More Web sites about SUS
http://www.cites.uiuc.edu/sus/faq.html
http://www.faqshop.com/sus/default.htm
http://computing.fusion13.com/SUS/Microsoft-Software-Update-Services-SUS.shtml

When evaluating hotfix administration methods/programs,
there are also 3rd party solutions available that will
give a lot more than what SUS offer, but of course, they
are not free. It is as always a cost/benefit analyze that
needs to be done.

Below is links to a 3rd party product example that does
not need a server to run and no IIS is needed (it supports
NT4 clients as well). You can deploy mostly all types of
hotfixes and service packs from an ordinary workstation
if you want.

UpdateEXPERT from Sunbelt
http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=357

UpdateEXPERT reseller with a price list
http://www.softwareshelf.com/products/display.asp?p=71

Shavlik's HFNetChkPro/HFNetChkLT
If 10 computers or less htfnetchkLT is free (http://www.shavlik.com), it can
scan and push patches. It also finds patches needed for Office as well, and it
gives a really nice graphical analysis of the patch from truesecure.

Here is a third party product that supports Win9x and WinME as well:

PatchLink's Update
http://www.patchlink.com

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx