Username/Password protect a file: now I can't download it ..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
a b 8 Security
June 22, 2004 4:34:01 AM

I tried to set the security permissions on a particular directory to require a username and password combination. I created a new local user on the machine, and gave that user permission to the folder, taking away permission from anonymous web user. Now it seems like whenever I try to download the file (with or without the anonymous permissions activated) I can't download the file. I get the following error:

"Internet Explorer cannot download [filename.pdf] from [website].

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

Now, I know the site is there, and the file is there, and IIS is running and everything. Please help. I think I might just be missing something simple, and this is driving me insane.

TIA
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 22, 2004 9:26:08 PM

There is a news group for IIS security where you may also want to post. See the link
below on IIS authentication. You said you disabled anonymous, but you need to enable
one of the other forms of authentication depending on your needs and
nfiguration. --- Steve

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/libr...

"Erik Allen" <Erik Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I tried to set the security permissions on a particular directory to require a
username and password combination. I created a new local user on the machine, and
gave that user permission to the folder, taking away permission from anonymous web
user. Now it seems like whenever I try to download the file (with or without the
anonymous permissions activated) I can't download the file. I get the following
error:

> "Internet Explorer cannot download [filename.pdf] from [website].
>
> Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is
either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

> Now, I know the site is there, and the file is there, and IIS is running and
everything. Please help. I think I might just be missing something simple, and this
is driving me insane.

> TIA
Anonymous
a b 8 Security
June 22, 2004 9:26:09 PM

I actually figured it out, thanks.
It was the content expiration set to immediately in the HTTP headers. It was causing the pdf or xls files to expire before they were even downloaded, thus generating the error.

-Erik