Username/Password protect a file: now I can't download it ..

I tried to set the security permissions on a particular directory to require a username and password combination. I created a new local user on the machine, and gave that user permission to the folder, taking away permission from anonymous web user. Now it seems like whenever I try to download the file (with or without the anonymous permissions activated) I can't download the file. I get the following error:

"Internet Explorer cannot download [filename.pdf] from [website].

Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

Now, I know the site is there, and the file is there, and IIS is running and everything. Please help. I think I might just be missing something simple, and this is driving me insane.

TIA
2 answers Last reply
More about username password protect file download

    There is a news group for IIS security where you may also want to post. See the link
    below on IIS authentication. You said you disabled anonymous, but you need to enable
    one of the other forms of authentication depending on your needs and
    nfiguration. --- Steve

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconIISAuthentication.asp

    "Erik Allen" <Erik Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I tried to set the security permissions on a particular directory to require a
    username and password combination. I created a new local user on the machine, and
    gave that user permission to the folder, taking away permission from anonymous web
    user. Now it seems like whenever I try to download the file (with or without the
    anonymous permissions activated) I can't download the file. I get the following
    error:

    > "Internet Explorer cannot download [filename.pdf] from [website].
    >
    > Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is
    either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."

    > Now, I know the site is there, and the file is there, and IIS is running and
    everything. Please help. I think I might just be missing something simple, and this
    is driving me insane.

    > TIA

    I actually figured it out, thanks.
    It was the content expiration set to immediately in the HTTP headers. It was causing the pdf or xls files to expire before they were even downloaded, thus generating the error.

    -Erik

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > There is a news group for IIS security where you may also want to post. See the link
    > below on IIS authentication. You said you disabled anonymous, but you need to enable
    > one of the other forms of authentication depending on your needs and
    > nfiguration. --- Steve
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vsent7/html/vxconIISAuthentication.asp
    >
    > "Erik Allen" <Erik Allen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I tried to set the security permissions on a particular directory to require a
    > username and password combination. I created a new local user on the machine, and
    > gave that user permission to the folder, taking away permission from anonymous web
    > user. Now it seems like whenever I try to download the file (with or without the
    > anonymous permissions activated) I can't download the file. I get the following
    > error:
    > >
    > > "Internet Explorer cannot download [filename.pdf] from [website].
    > >
    > > Internet Explorer was not able to open this Internet site. The requested site is
    > either unavailable or cannot be found. Please try again later."
    > >
    > > Now, I know the site is there, and the file is there, and IIS is running and
    > everything. Please help. I think I might just be missing something simple, and this
    > is driving me insane.
    > >
    > > TIA

Download Internet Explorer Security Windows