an invialid boot.ini file error and question about pagefil..

dougie

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Hi

When i reboot my system i get an error "Invalid Boot.ini file booting
from c:\windows". While the system works ok I would like to fix this if i
can - please advise me how to do this.

Also I am interested in the pagefile size. How can I make this use the
maximum and what is the max size that I can use?

Thanks

--
___,
\o

/ \ . l
___________o

dougie wrote:
> Also I am interested in the pagefile size. How can I make this use
> the maximum and what is the max size that I can use?

To alter pagefile: Right click 'My computer' and click 'Properties',
alternatively enter 'Control Panel' -> 'System'. Now you should have the
System Properties dialogue box. Click 'Advanced' tab -> 'Settings' under
Performance -> 'Advanced' tab -> 'Change' under Virtual memory. Enter the
values you see fit.

As for the maximum, I believe the sum of RAM and pagefiles can not exceed 4
GiB. Your pagefiles may also be limited by free disk space.

Hi Dougie,

Create a new boot.ini in notepad and save it to the root of the drive,
overwriting the existing one. The contents depend on what your system
configuration is, so first open the existing one and post the contents along
with a short description of the system configuration. To open, click
start/run and type C:\boot.ini, then click ok. Copy/paste the contents into
a reply.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> When i reboot my system i get an error "Invalid Boot.ini file booting
> from c:\windows". While the system works ok I would like to fix this if i
> can - please advise me how to do this.
>
> Also I am interested in the pagefile size. How can I make this use the
> maximum and what is the max size that I can use?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> ___,
> \o
> | |>
> / \ . l
> ___________o

dougie

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Rick,

I dont' have that file anywhere on my system. I searched system and hidden
files too but it's not there. Should I reload windows XP pro - will than
create the file for me?

thanks

Dougie

> Hi Dougie,
>
> Create a new boot.ini in notepad and save it to the root of the drive,
> overwriting the existing one. The contents depend on what your system
> configuration is, so first open the existing one and post the contents
> along with a short description of the system configuration. To open, click
> start/run and type C:\boot.ini, then click ok. Copy/paste the contents
> into a reply.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi
>>
>> When i reboot my system i get an error "Invalid Boot.ini file booting
>> from c:\windows". While the system works ok I would like to fix this if
>> i can - please advise me how to do this.
>>
>> Also I am interested in the pagefile size. How can I make this use the
>> maximum and what is the max size that I can use?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> ___,
>> \o
>> | |>
>> / \ . l
>> ___________o

Hi,

No need to reload Windows, just boot the WinXP CD and load the Recovery
Console. From the prompt run bootcfg /rebuild.

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console in Windows XP [Q307654]
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307654

--

> Rick,
>
> I dont' have that file anywhere on my system. I searched system and
> hidden files too but it's not there. Should I reload windows XP pro -
> will than create the file for me?
>
> thanks
>
> Dougie

>> Hi Dougie,
>>
>> Create a new boot.ini in notepad and save it to the root of the drive,
>> overwriting the existing one. The contents depend on what your system
>> configuration is, so first open the existing one and post the contents
>> along with a short description of the system configuration. To open,
>> click start/run and type C:\boot.ini, then click ok. Copy/paste the
>> contents into a reply.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> When i reboot my system i get an error "Invalid Boot.ini file booting
>>> from c:\windows". While the system works ok I would like to fix this if
>>> i can - please advise me how to do this.
>>>
>>> Also I am interested in the pagefile size. How can I make this use the
>>> maximum and what is the max size that I can use?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> --
>>> ___,
>>> \o
>>> | |>
>>> / \ . l

dougie

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Thanks Rick

now i only need to work out why my system does unexplained and random
reboots.

Thats another post tho.

Again thanks for your expert help.

Dougie