service packs

are service packs necessary or are critical patches enough
for windows 2000 server and 2000 pro as I have someone
telling me that critical patches are all you need ?

Service packs address more than just critical updates and can add a lot to the
operating system as far as functionality and reliability. You should be using at
least SP3 by now. As an example, see the link below to all the issues that SP4
addresses of which a small percentage are addresses by critical updates which focus
on immediate threats to security or operating system reliability/functionality. ---
Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=327194

"john scott" <alpha99@optusnet.com.au> wrote in message
> are service packs necessary or are critical patches enough
> for windows 2000 server and 2000 pro as I have someone
> telling me that critical patches are all you need ?

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 04:18:40 -0700, "john scott"
<alpha99@optusnet.com.au> wrote:

>are service packs necessary or are critical patches enough
>for windows 2000 server and 2000 pro as I have someone
>telling me that critical patches are all you need ?

Services packs, critical updates and any application specific updates.
Use Windows Update and MBSA to check what any specific system needs.

Jeff