which HDTV technology has the best quality standard TV pic..

Since it will be a while before HDTV telecasts become standard, I am
looking for a technology (direct view, LCD rear projection or DLP rear
projection) that offers the best 4:3 standard TV picture besides
offering high quality HDTV and DVD experience. I am only looking in
the 34"-50" range and don't want to pay premium price for high end
plasma models. Some models I have recently looked into:

SONY HS 420 series - direct view (also toshiba direct view series)
Samsung HLN DLP series (I feel, for the look and feel, these could be
priced somewhat lower)

Since local stores always plug these into closed loop HD reception, it
is difficult to find out standard TV reception.

Any new models (direct view or DLP) coming out soon that have better
features?
13 answers Last reply
More about which hdtv technology quality standard

    "SS" <sridhara@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Since it will be a while before HDTV telecasts become standard, I am
    > looking for a technology (direct view, LCD rear projection or DLP rear
    > projection) that offers the best 4:3 standard TV picture besides
    > offering high quality HDTV and DVD experience. I am only looking in
    > the 34"-50" range and don't want to pay premium price for high end
    > plasma models. Some models I have recently looked into:
    >
    > SONY HS 420 series - direct view (also toshiba direct view series)
    > Samsung HLN DLP series (I feel, for the look and feel, these could be
    > priced somewhat lower)
    >
    > Since local stores always plug these into closed loop HD reception, it
    > is difficult to find out standard TV reception.
    >
    > Any new models (direct view or DLP) coming out soon that have better
    > features?

    You are making a mistake buying a 4:3.

    1. there is a lot of material in 16:9, including most dvd's.
    2. HD stretch/zoom/panarama modes do a heck of a lot better job of putting
    4:3 into 16:9 than letterboxing does the reverse.

    I am sorry for not being clear. I do want to buy a 16:9 HDTV. But I
    want to get the best standard TV picture on it. I heard that the
    Toshiba 30HF83 (and other sizes) stretch the picture in seach a way
    you hardly notice it. Does the SONY HS 420 TVs do that?

    SS wrote:

    > Since it will be a while before HDTV telecasts become standard, I am
    > looking for a technology (direct view, LCD rear projection or DLP rear
    > projection) that offers the best 4:3 standard TV picture besides
    > offering high quality HDTV and DVD experience. I am only looking in
    > the 34"-50" range and don't want to pay premium price for high end
    > plasma models.

    I believe HDTV telecasts/programming is NOW becoming pretty
    standard except for your local news/sports/weather...
    It depends were you live as to the quantity of available
    HDTV content..
    Try http://www.antennaweb.org and enter your ZIP code....
    This answers the OTA (Over the Air antenna) digital TV..

    Some models I have recently looked into:

    > SONY HS 420 series - direct view (also toshiba direct view series)
    > Samsung HLN DLP series (I feel, for the look and feel, these could be
    > priced somewhat lower)

    Yes the Sony 34HS420 is a new HDTV set with reduced features...
    Generally Sony 'electronic guts' make for a pretty Good
    Analog 4:3 picture on a HDTV digital set... Most HDTV digital
    sets
    can handle HD reception well on a digital set...
    Putting out good 4:3 analog picture on an HDTV is important for
    now...
    Not all HDTV sets perform OK..

    > Since local stores always plug these into closed loop HD reception, it
    > is difficult to find out standard TV reception.

    True... I agree... You need to checkout HDTV on HDTV set..
    You need also to checkout Analog 4:3 on HDTV set too!

    > Any new models (direct view or DLP) coming out soon that have better
    > features?

    Better features cost more dollars... except now that the new Fall
    HDTV models are coming out & there may be Sales on Sony
    Products...

    I am a Sony HDTV CRT fan... have 34HS510... Nice unit!!

    I'm catching onto Sony HDTV Model ID trends/features.....
    420, 510, 610, 800, 910, 960 where
    the hundreds series relates to a better or more featured
    Product Lines such as: 4, 5, 6, 8, 9

    And Model Year 2002 2003 2004
    00 10,50 20,60

    Nothing beats a good direct view CRT for PQ. But the screen size is limited
    to 34".

    David
    "SS" <sridhara@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Since it will be a while before HDTV telecasts become standard, I am
    > looking for a technology (direct view, LCD rear projection or DLP rear
    > projection) that offers the best 4:3 standard TV picture besides
    > offering high quality HDTV and DVD experience. I am only looking in
    > the 34"-50" range and don't want to pay premium price for high end
    > plasma models. Some models I have recently looked into:
    >
    > SONY HS 420 series - direct view (also toshiba direct view series)
    > Samsung HLN DLP series (I feel, for the look and feel, these could be
    > priced somewhat lower)
    >
    > Since local stores always plug these into closed loop HD reception, it
    > is difficult to find out standard TV reception.
    >
    > Any new models (direct view or DLP) coming out soon that have better
    > features?

    One reason I like DLP technology is because it is not susceptible to
    burn-in. This allows you to watch 4:3 shows in the regular 4:3 format.
    With other displays you either need to zoom in or stretch the picture. Some
    people complain of being able to see "rainbows" with DLP technology. I
    think this only affects a small percentage of the population though as I
    have never been able to see them.

    Brad

    "David&Joan" <djmarchand@cox.net> wrote in message
    > Nothing beats a good direct view CRT for PQ. But the screen size is
    limited
    > to 34".

    sony makes a 40" crt.

    Sony KV40XBR800
    http://www.hdtvpub.com/productdb/televisions/televisionreviews.cfm?manu=Sony&prod=KV40XBR800&tvnum=853

    True, but the original poster is looking for 16x9

    Scott

    "j" <sniffinpoprocksReMoVe@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "David&Joan" <djmarchand@cox.net> wrote in message
    > > Nothing beats a good direct view CRT for PQ. But the screen size is
    > limited
    > > to 34".
    > >
    > sony makes a 40" crt.
    >
    > Sony KV40XBR800

    http://www.hdtvpub.com/productdb/televisions/televisionreviews.cfm?manu=Sony&prod=KV40XBR800&tvnum=853

    My finalists for a replacement for my 27" XBR tube were the Sony GWIII and a
    Sammy HLN. I had a couple of different stores switch the feed for both sets
    to SD cable and OTA in one case. I picked the Sony because it seemed to
    deliver a SD image that was easier on the eyes than the Sammy. DLP and LCD
    were finalists because I do not like to stretch/zoom vs. OAR. Good luck.

    YMMV

    "SS" <sridhara@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I am sorry for not being clear. I do want to buy a 16:9 HDTV. But I
    > want to get the best standard TV picture on it. I heard that the
    > Toshiba 30HF83 (and other sizes) stretch the picture in seach a way
    > you hardly notice it. Does the SONY HS 420 TVs do that?

    Simple, the cheapest that you like the picture of.............

    "SS" <sridhara@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Since it will be a while before HDTV telecasts become standard, I am
    > looking for a technology (direct view, LCD rear projection or DLP rear
    > projection) that offers the best 4:3 standard TV picture besides
    > offering high quality HDTV and DVD experience. I am only looking in
    > the 34"-50" range and don't want to pay premium price for high end
    > plasma models. Some models I have recently looked into:
    >
    > SONY HS 420 series - direct view (also toshiba direct view series)
    > Samsung HLN DLP series (I feel, for the look and feel, these could be
    > priced somewhat lower)
    >
    > Since local stores always plug these into closed loop HD reception, it
    > is difficult to find out standard TV reception.
    >
    > Any new models (direct view or DLP) coming out soon that have better
    > features?

    The best HD set will do the best job of showing standard analog 4:3 TV
    pictures (all bets are off on digital 4:3 pictures, where quality and
    economics compete.) Don't fall for the idea that NTSC picture defects can
    be minimized - - they're there, and there's nothing that can be done to
    eliminate them. Propagation effects like ghosting and flutter will certainly
    be eliminated if the analog signal is coming in by cable. Of course, a
    misadjusted "sharpness" setting that exaggerates noise in the picture should
    be corrected, and the reduced sharpness that results is just one of the
    properties of the system - - a balance is usually possible. What ugliness
    that remains is handily remedied by switching to an HDTV source. I receive
    all major network's HD off the air with a total of over 20 digital stations
    in the S.F. Bay Area - - It's almost as if HDTV has reached the level of
    "standard" TV in this community.

    I agree that the simplicity of the DLP optical system should eventually
    result in lower cost, but until competition arrives that is willing to start
    down that path, it won't happen. One unfortunate consequence of such a
    simple system is the breakup of fast-moving spots of light against a dark
    background into RGB after-images, called rainbows. More important is the
    loss of luminance resolution when the extreme intensity (contrast) of the
    Samsung sets is turned down in a dim viewing room. And for a while there,
    Samsung couldn't make a set that didn't show a slightly green-tinted
    picture, but they may have improved that. I did like the total freedom from
    reflection of room lights from their screen, although that may mean their
    screen is easier to damage than one behind glass - - perhaps a significant
    problem if children are around.

    I had the Samsung 61" DLP set for about 3 days and returned it in favor of
    the 60" Sony LCD projection set - - that was about 18 months ago, and I've
    been extremely satisfied with the choice ever since. I'm sure their 50" LCD
    projection set would be equally spectacular.

    Chuck

    "SS" <sridhara@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Since it will be a while before HDTV telecasts become standard, I am
    > looking for a technology (direct view, LCD rear projection or DLP rear
    > projection) that offers the best 4:3 standard TV picture besides
    > offering high quality HDTV and DVD experience. I am only looking in
    > the 34"-50" range and don't want to pay premium price for high end
    > plasma models. Some models I have recently looked into:
    >
    > SONY HS 420 series - direct view (also toshiba direct view series)
    > Samsung HLN DLP series (I feel, for the look and feel, these could be
    > priced somewhat lower)
    >
    > Since local stores always plug these into closed loop HD reception, it
    > is difficult to find out standard TV reception.
    >
    > Any new models (direct view or DLP) coming out soon that have better
    > features?

    >> Nothing beats a good direct view CRT for PQ. But the screen size is
    > limited
    >> to 34".
    >>
    > sony makes a 40" crt.
    >
    > Sony KV40XBR800

    A large percentage of owners of this set report various types of purity
    problems. Having dealt with and researched the problem, I've come to the
    conclusion that it's a defective design.

    I wouldn't go larger than 34" when purchasing a flat screen direct view
    set.

    "SS" <sridhara@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Since it will be a while before HDTV telecasts become standard, I am
    > looking for a technology (direct view, LCD rear projection or DLP rear
    > projection) that offers the best 4:3 standard TV picture besides
    > offering high quality HDTV and DVD experience. I am only looking in
    > the 34"-50" range and don't want to pay premium price for high end
    > plasma models. Some models I have recently looked into:
    >
    > SONY HS 420 series - direct view (also toshiba direct view series)
    > Samsung HLN DLP series (I feel, for the look and feel, these could be
    > priced somewhat lower)
    >
    > Since local stores always plug these into closed loop HD reception, it
    > is difficult to find out standard TV reception.
    >
    > Any new models (direct view or DLP) coming out soon that have better
    > features?

    I don't think that the display technology is what's important, it's how well
    the electronics convert 480i (particularly with very poor color quality,
    ugly noise and other artifacts) into a 720p or 1080i image for display. It
    used to be the many lower-cost HDTVs didn't seem to do a very good job of
    this, leading to NTSC images no better than or even worse than they would be
    on a regular analog TV. Now, it seems that more and more HD sets, even quite
    inexpensive ones, do a better job of upconverting the signal to the point
    that it often looks better than on an analog TV.

    But you should definitely try to see standard TV on the sets to compare. I
    know of some stores where I live that routinely (some of the time) show
    regular TV on all their sets, including HD sets, so maybe you can find one
    that does that too, or ask if they'll switch it for comparison purposes.

    Direct view CRT sets have good picture quality and often a decent price, but
    are only availble at the very bottom of your size range, and at those sizes
    are typically very heavy and somewhat bulky. CRT rear projection is probably
    the best bargain at larger sizes, and with decent picture quality (though
    not always as bright as other technologies, and somewhat limited viewing
    angle), but the sets are usually large and bulky, and burn-in can be an
    issue, as well as possibly requiring more calibration than some other
    technologies. I like DLP as a technology, though sets up to now have used
    only the earliest form of the chips. Newer chips just now becoming available
    promise a choice of lower price (with slighly improved visual quality) or
    potentially significant improvements in image quality (such as 1080p and
    much higher contrast ratio).

    "Randy Sweeney" <rsweeney1@comcast.net> wrote in message

    > You are making a mistake buying a 4:3.

    Understanding that he in fact does want 16:9, and that in the size range he
    is talking about I would recommend 16:9 also, I would say that at smaller
    sizes, the choice isn't as clear. For sets of about 26-30", I'd actually
    recommend a 4:3 HD-capable set (so long as it also improves the appearance
    of most standard TV signals by eliminating visible scanlines, which most
    newer HD sets do a pretty good job of). And of course for smaller sizes
    still, there really isn't much choice (assuming you don't want an
    obscenely-expensive LCD panel, which usually doesn't have the best-looking
    picture anyway).

HDTV TV Home Theatre