Sign in with
Your question

Are resolutions dependant on the graphics card?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 7, 2007 7:39:55 PM

Probably a silly question, but I've just recommended to my parents friends that they should get a 19" widescreen monitor (their 17" has just broken) but then shortly after realised they've only got onboard graphics (SiS 741 Rev 00 if that helps) and their computer's a few years old so I'm not sure if it'll work or not. Oh, btw, HannsG or Video7, or not a lot in it? :-) Cheers!
February 7, 2007 7:58:13 PM

It'll be fine.

Not for gaming, but for regular windows use, text, surfing & stuff... fine.
February 7, 2007 8:53:21 PM

Tell them to get the HannsG. I got my wife two of them and they have been wonderful. We had to play with the color just a bit but that was because she does all the photo editing stuff. He will be fine with that monitor since it doesn't sound like this is for gaming.
Related resources
February 7, 2007 9:27:57 PM

Its possible that they won't be able to switch to a widescreen aspect ratio, since those widescreen aspect ratios come from the graphics card driver, not the monitor. I'd have them update to the latest video driver possible and check the available resolutions before recommending a widescreen monitor.
February 8, 2007 7:56:33 AM

Quote:
Its possible that they won't be able to switch to a widescreen aspect ratio, since those widescreen aspect ratios come from the graphics card driver, not the monitor. I'd have them update to the latest video driver possible and check the available resolutions before recommending a widescreen monitor.

Hmm, this is a shame, not really the answer I wanted to hear :(  The resolution I need is 1440 x 900 - I guess I'll just have to buy it and give it a try, if it doesn't work I'll update the on board graphic drivers and if it still doesn't work then; give the widescreen monitor to my parents and then get another one (17" normal probably) for their friends.
February 8, 2007 9:02:40 AM

Hey i am sure even if you were to upgrade to video card it would not cost more than 50 $ for any decent card just for the resolution though and not gaming or you could spend about a 100 and also game although at low resolutions :) 
February 8, 2007 9:27:52 AM

Yeah, but she's like a 50 year old very casual user, who probably won't want a new graphics card etc :( 
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2007 9:55:55 AM

Quote:
Probably a silly question, but I've just recommended to my parents friends that they should get a 19" widescreen monitor (their 17" has just broken) but then shortly after realised they've only got onboard graphics (SiS 741 Rev 00 if that helps) and their computer's a few years old so I'm not sure if it'll work or not. Oh, btw, HannsG or Video7, or not a lot in it? :-) Cheers!

prolly a better idea to get a 19'' 4:3 (square) monitor, older and integrated video cards dont like wide screen resolutions ;) 
February 8, 2007 1:21:59 PM

Good point.
!