Sign in with
Your question

Anyone Need a Laugh; Dell can help.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 7:45:57 PM

LOL, was cleaning out my desk and came across a classic Dell catalog from September 2003. For those who need a few laughs, check out these three systems. :twisted:

The "Ulimate gaming PC" loaded with RAM and a killer Graphics card. And it's "guaranteed to blast your games and graphics into overdrive" :roll:

Opposite page was Cutting-Edge Performance. Woot check out the RAM and Video Card.

And then the absolute pathetic practice they had back when RAM was priced high...selling a Windows XP system with 128MB of shared mem :x :

Anyway, hope it brought you half the smile it did to me. Funny to see so little RAM for that day even, as well as cards that were always budget cards yet make their top of the line rigs. Good ole Dell. :lol: 

*edit new pic linx*

More about : laugh dell

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 7:54:59 PM

Hehe did get a few good laught.

The very bets is the XPS with a FX5200, that's pathetic!
February 7, 2007 7:57:39 PM

Lol. What a piece of garbage.
Related resources
February 7, 2007 7:58:14 PM

Quote:
And then the absolute pathetic practice they had back when RAM was priced high...selling a Windows XP system with 128MB of shared mem :x :

Hope they planned on running Windows 95. I've got an old XPS from around 00 or 01 collecting dust in my basement. If anything is reusable, it's the XPS's mammoth cases. Thinking about modding it :lol: 
February 7, 2007 8:01:16 PM

FX5200 :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 8:07:23 PM

Yup, probably a 64-bit version even. :wink:

Imagine little Billy thanking mommy and daddy for the "ultimate gaming PC" and bragging how he can't wait to set it up and show it off to his pals. :cry: 
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 8:11:06 PM

Yeah my favourite is the first one with the "Ultimate Gaming PC" having the FX5200. :mrgreen:

That's totally AwesomeGRA !! :trophy:

Just like an XGI! :wink:
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 8:26:12 PM

HA HA HA HA!!! Cant believe you can even find a catalogue from dell 4 years a go. LOL :lol: 
February 7, 2007 8:40:27 PM

wow...that IS pathetic..
I'm currently on a modded dell 4550 with a P4@2.4ghz, 1280 mb ram pc2700, x800gto agp, 60gb hard drive, dvd rom drive and cdrw drive, and a 420 watt psu...

We bought it in january or febuary of 2003.It had the same cpu, only 256 mb ram, geforce mx 420, (in box, colecting dust), and a 250 watt psu, and no monitor...
Mind you we DID get a discount through my dad's work, but the total system came to around $1100 with office small business 2002, and free 3 year warranty and probably more...
we only used the dell help line once after the first system crash...at that time, I had no idea how to work on computers and my dad still doesn't know much...

NOw, with the parts that i've installed, I'd say it comes to over $300 more..so around $1400 give or take a couple $$...

Now, it's my parents pc for now....
still can run games if I want it too...but NOT worth the money...

Now that i've built my pc, I will NEVER EVER buy a prebuilt system again..unless it's a laptop of course...

Yeah..it's been fun...
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 8:44:43 PM

OMG, LOL!

You know what I just realized, after Rabid's last line comment?

That 'Ultimate Gaming PC' has almost the exact same specs as my old DULL 5150 Laptop! 8O

P4 2.8HT, 80GB HDD, 512MB DDR, FX5200 (64mb not 128).
Now that's funny to me. :lol: 
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 8:57:26 PM

LOL, too bad you got rid of it. You didn't know what a gaming beast you had on your lap.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 9:12:24 PM

Actually the reason I did get rid of it is because I knew exactly what kind of beast I had in my lapt every time I turned it on and roasted my nutz! 8O

The Gateway runs so much cooler.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2007 9:28:45 PM

Oh what a difference a few short years will make.
And that is just the hardware. The software changes....
February 7, 2007 10:22:56 PM

Quote:

Quote:
still, i liked the last one. good luck getting XP to run well or at all with only 128MB RAM.

Our office consists of several Dell "workstations" with a couple of 1.2 Cely Tualatins and a 1.8 P4 Willy (the hot rods of the office) or two. The Celys all have 128MB RAM, the Willys have 256MB. All running XP. BTW, that's SDRAM. I can tell you they run flawlessly.......if you let them cache for about an hour at startup and sacrifice a small animal or two.

No joke, I've had a couple hard drives fail on these machines and I seriously think it's because of all the disk thrashing they do.

We have one old Dell with a PIII 800 or so running Windows 2000 on 128MB of RAM. Strange at how it seems so much faster than the other machines.
February 7, 2007 11:17:37 PM

But hey, they're new after all. :lol: 
February 8, 2007 2:14:09 AM

Quote:
Opposite page was Cutting-Edge Performance. Woot check out the RAM and Video Card.

OMG that's just like my old system (which I bought in late Summer 2002) that until recently I've been using for slighly over four years, except mine came with a 20GB HD and a P4 1.8GHz. :(  I remember reading an issue of Consumer Reports because I was looking for a computer to buy, and incidentally they had an article rating different computers, and I then came upon the Dell Dimension 4500, which I distinctly remember CR saying was "Good for Gamers." Guess which computer I bought? PS: By good for gamers, they really meant "can barely play UT2003 and WarCraft 3 at low settings." :roll: Oh yeah, it was almost $2000 at the time. :evil:  Last Dell PC I'll ever buy, that's for sure. :) 

Quote:

Now that one's just too easy. :lol: 
February 8, 2007 7:20:37 PM

Define "affordable". Is 2kg of dog crap for 15$ "affordable"?

So you guys are saying 128MB of RAM is not enough for Windows XP? At the office my mom's working there's a Celeron 700mhz with 128MB of RAM, with Windows ME installed, and everything is just atrociously slow, and there's like nothing installed on that computer. (Like Word 97 and stuff). Would XP actually make things worse? Or would a fresh install of Windows 2000 bring a good leap in performance?
February 8, 2007 7:47:58 PM

Quote:
LOL, was cleaning out my desk and came across a classic Dell catalog from September 2003. For those who need a few laughs, check out these three systems. :twisted:

That exactly describes my previous computer sitting in the opposite corner of this room... Except mine had 512 MB of memory and a 120GB harddrive. Paid $1500 for it.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2007 8:10:39 PM

Win XP needs more RAM than ME by a long shot. Selling a machine with XP and 128MB of shared memory should be a crime IMO. Some of us care about our customers. I have never built an XP machine with less than 256MB.

Win ME requires 32MB or more of RAM:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/253695/

Win XP requires 64MB minimum, 128 recommended:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865/

But 128MB with some of it shared for video, is a lousy way to run XP. Afterall it is Windows, shouldn't they be able to open more than one at a time without it seeming like a virus scan is going on. :lol: 

Not that this is anything official, but it was top of my google search:
http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computing/windows/ramneeds...
February 8, 2007 8:53:06 PM

This may seem unbelievable, but I got XP running on a =http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:600EThinkpad 600E, I believe it's a PII 366 / 288 MB RAM? It actually runs faster and better than on a new Thinkpad X41 Pentium M 1.5GHz / 256 MB (tho I'm adding another GB shortly). It is, I admit, the "stripped" version of XP. Sound doesn't work, tho :(  (no XP drivers), which is too bad b/c I was going to turn it into a cheap Squeezebox. It does run OpenOffice and Firefox beautifully.

I still remember when my Apple IIe had 256 K of memory -- for its time that was double normal (and therefore double what I really needed), and quadruple the base memory. Esp. since it wasn't like you could multi-task back then. (Man, having a double-disk drive was itself awesome)
!