Microsoft activation message?

I am getting the following message box when I boot up the computer.

Message: Since windows was first installed on this computer the hardware has
changed significantly. Due to these changes windows needs to be reacatived
within 3 days.
Yes
No

This started yesterday evening. There have been no hardware changes to the
computer of any kind since it was purchased from Dell. It has xp home
edition.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? Is it a problem in the
service program, or udate program?

Thanks,

Bob Sellers
8 answers Last reply
More about microsoft activation message

    Hi,

    Possibly some corruption in the activation files, but all you should need to
    do is reactivate.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message
    >I am getting the following message box when I boot up the computer.
    >
    > Message: Since windows was first installed on this computer the hardware
    > has
    > changed significantly. Due to these changes windows needs to be reacatived
    > within 3 days.
    > Yes
    > No
    >
    > This started yesterday evening. There have been no hardware changes to the
    > computer of any kind since it was purchased from Dell. It has xp home
    > edition.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? Is it a problem in the
    > service program, or udate program?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Bob Sellers

    Shouldn't that be "all you should HAVE to do is reactivate", he shouldn't
    NEED to do anything if the OS was as stable as MS likes to imply it is.

    > Hi,
    >
    > Possibly some corruption in the activation files, but all you should need
    > to do is reactivate.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message
    >>I am getting the following message box when I boot up the computer.
    >>
    >> Message: Since windows was first installed on this computer the hardware
    >> has
    >> changed significantly. Due to these changes windows needs to be
    >> reacatived
    >> within 3 days.
    >> Yes
    >> No
    >>
    >> This started yesterday evening. There have been no hardware changes to
    >> the
    >> computer of any kind since it was purchased from Dell. It has xp home
    >> edition.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? Is it a problem in the
    >> service program, or udate program?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Bob Sellers

    Any file on any system using any OS can become corrupted. One minor glitch
    changing a 0 to a 1 (or vice versa) can create trouble that is totally
    unrelated to the operating system.

    --

    "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Shouldn't that be "all you should HAVE to do is reactivate", he shouldn't
    > NEED to do anything if the OS was as stable as MS likes to imply it is.

    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Possibly some corruption in the activation files, but all you should need
    >> to do is reactivate.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message
    >>>I am getting the following message box when I boot up the computer.
    >>>
    >>> Message: Since windows was first installed on this computer the hardware
    >>> has
    >>> changed significantly. Due to these changes windows needs to be
    >>> reacatived
    >>> within 3 days.
    >>> Yes
    >>> No
    >>>
    >>> This started yesterday evening. There have been no hardware changes to
    >>> the
    >>> computer of any kind since it was purchased from Dell. It has xp home
    >>> edition.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone tell me what could be causing this? Is it a problem in the
    >>> service program, or udate program?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Bob Sellers

    Rick. I think it would be wise to mention the facts about dirty
    power. I had a lad who would bring his box to me all messed
    up. I would straighten it out and give it back and within a short
    period of time it would be corrupted again. So I went to his
    flat and seen that he had it plugged into a $12 power strip. But,
    the real kicker was on the other side of the wall. A refrigerator,
    microwave, garbage disposal etc etc. Bottom line is not any
    OS can corrupt, but a poorly setup and maintained OS will
    corrupt.

    Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    | Any file on any system using any OS can become corrupted. One minor
    | glitch changing a 0 to a 1 (or vice versa) can create trouble that is
    | totally unrelated to the operating system.
    |

    | "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    || Shouldn't that be "all you should HAVE to do is reactivate", he
    || shouldn't NEED to do anything if the OS was as stable as MS likes to
    || imply it is.
    || "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    ||| Hi,
    ||| Possibly some corruption in the activation files, but all you
    ||| should need to do is reactivate.
    ||| Rick Rogers, aka "Nutcase" - Microsoft MVP
    ||| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    ||| Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    ||| www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    ||| Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    ||| "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message

    Your point? Seems to me any "glitch" that compromises the OS is a BUG,
    either that or at best it's a poorly designed implementation.

    > Any file on any system using any OS can become corrupted. One minor glitch
    > changing a 0 to a 1 (or vice versa) can create trouble that is totally
    > unrelated to the operating system.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Shouldn't that be "all you should HAVE to do is reactivate", he shouldn't
    >> NEED to do anything if the OS was as stable as MS likes to imply it is.
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Possibly some corruption in the activation files, but all you should
    >>> need to do is reactivate.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Bob" <news@direcway.com> wrote in message

    A bug is code in the OS or a program that is incorrect. A glitch that
    changes a bit has nothing to do with coding of the operating system. While
    there are some built in checks, it'd be impossible for the OS to constantly
    verify the integrity of all data on the drive, monitoring for any changes.
    There are some tools for that, but it's still not OS related. Notice too
    that I do not mention Windows specifically, as this can be a problem
    regardless of the OS in use.

    --

    > Your point? Seems to me any "glitch" that compromises the OS is a BUG,
    > either that or at best it's a poorly designed implementation.

    >> Any file on any system using any OS can become corrupted. One minor
    >> glitch changing a 0 to a 1 (or vice versa) can create trouble that is
    >> totally unrelated to the operating system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Shouldn't that be "all you should HAVE to do is reactivate", he
    >>> shouldn't NEED to do anything if the OS was as stable as MS likes to
    >>> imply it is.
    >>>
    >>> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

    "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Your point? Seems to me any "glitch" that compromises the OS is a
    > BUG, either that or at best it's a poorly designed implementation.

    >> Any file on any system using any OS can become corrupted. One minor
    >> glitch changing a 0 to a 1 (or vice versa) can create trouble that is
    >> totally unrelated to the operating system.

    Excuse me, but aren't you talking about running software on low-grade,
    cheap, low-quality, price-cutting hardware that is susceptible to
    corruption of data? Where's your redundancy in mass storage? Do you
    use ECC memory chips? Is your system case hardened against gamma
    radiation that can flip bits on silicon? You're using low-grade
    hardware and expect perfect operation?

    Based on your logic, a tire that goes flat has a bug (defect) in its
    construction. You are neglecting to most influential source of
    corruption of any operating system: the user.

    Absolutely, it's a wonder what uneven voltage can do to a system. The best
    thing to use is always a UPS unit, but failing that the pc should be on a
    circuit that does not have any heavy loads, or any devices with an initial
    heavy load. The resulting drop in line voltage, even temporarily, can cause
    innumerable problems.

    Another MVP I worked with for a time had his girlfriends machine in his
    shop - it ran perfectly. As soon as she brought it home, it threw all kinds
    of blue screens (this was a Win98 system). She'd bring it back, and it was
    fine. He brought to his house, it was fine. We suspected a household voltage
    problem at this point, but even a UPS unit didn't help much. Turns out the
    transformer on the pole near her house stepping down the voltage was dying
    and throwing all sorts of stray voltage.

    --

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
    > Rick. I think it would be wise to mention the facts about dirty
    > power. I had a lad who would bring his box to me all messed
    > up. I would straighten it out and give it back and within a short
    > period of time it would be corrupted again. So I went to his
    > flat and seen that he had it plugged into a $12 power strip. But,
    > the real kicker was on the other side of the wall. A refrigerator,
    > microwave, garbage disposal etc etc. Bottom line is not any
    > OS can corrupt, but a poorly setup and maintained OS will
    > corrupt.
    >
    > Rick "Nutcase" Rogers wrote:
    > | Any file on any system using any OS can become corrupted. One minor
    > | glitch changing a 0 to a 1 (or vice versa) can create trouble that is
    > | totally unrelated to the operating system.
    > |

    > | "pjp" <pjpoirier_is_located@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > || Shouldn't that be "all you should HAVE to do is reactivate", he
    > || shouldn't NEED to do anything if the OS was as stable as MS likes to
    > || imply it is.
    > || "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message

Hardware Computers Microsoft Windows XP