JimmyMcNulty

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2007
Hi

I'm currently speccing a new PC and am looking at 24" monitors (Dell 2407WFP in particular). However I'm concerned about the graphics card requirements of playing games in 1920x1200.

I'm probably getting an 8800 GTX card which I guessing will handle the current crop of games, but how often am I likely to have to upgrade to keep up with new games in the monitor's native resolution? Also, how good are these monitors in non-native resolutions?

Thanks

Just like the old 16x12 you will be the top of the target resolutions, and as such will likely need to be near the top of the hardware list with each new generation of games.

IMO, the GF8800GTX should take you into next year's games with only the occasional drop in features/sliders, but beyond that expect to need another card to keep the native resolution of that panel playable (if that's your goal).

These monitors are OK at scaling, but you can expect to lose any AF benefits if your LCD has to interpolate any off-native resolutions.

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
The 2407 WFP is a fantastic monitor. I've been nothing but pleased with it. For now a GTX will run just about anything at 1920x1200 provided you have a "good" processor and 2 gig of fast RAM, even Oblivion. Eventually games will get more complex and you'll have to add another GTX or upgrade your card down the road to enjoy future games at 1920x1200. It's not a matter of if but when. I remember playing quake 2 on my Riva TNT2 at 1600x1200 in 1997-8... those were the days.

Primitivus

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2006
I recently bought a 24" monitor (BenQ FP241W) and I'm eagerly waiting for R600 (in order to have more choice than just nVidia) before jumping on the DX10 bandwagon. The reason being that my current card, a X1600XT (installed as a temporary replacement for another aging card and for reasons I won't get into right now), cannot even pretend to play games at the native resolution. However, even with the casual gaming I do right now, I find that interpolating to lower than native resolutions isn't at all satisfying and I tend to use windowed mode more often than not.

A 8800GTX, on the other hand, is a totally different beast and you shouldn't have any problems gaming at 19x12 at present and for at least another year IMO. Even after that, toning down some of the eye candy in the newer titles should still allow you to play comfortably at the monitor's native res.

P.S. I can't really play any FPS's with my current graphics card but WoW on a 24" is drool-inducing!!!

jonrem

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
I find that interpolating to lower than native resolutions isn't at all satisfying.

I agree. Native res looks infinitely better than a scaled one especially on the 2407, more so than with other models I've seen.