Which HDTV Tuner, or other to use with HDTV Cable receiver

Talin

Distinguished
May 6, 2005
I have been reading a lot on the HDTV tuners and regular TV tuners for my PC. Now that I've got a system that is capable of just about anything I can throw at it, I was considering hooking my PC to my Cable box to get HD on my monitor. I have a 22" screen now, and I love the clarity, but I don't have any way currently to get the Cable box signal to the PC. Here's the dilemma.

I checked several of the available websites and some forums and it seems that if you buy an HDTV tuner, you only get the HDTV via antenna, and it's not going to let you patch in your cable box. Apparently you can't hook your cable up directly to it either.

Does anyone know a card that will let me get HDTV on my PC using my HDTV Cable tuner?

madmurph

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
None yet. The cable companies control the rights to those internal HD cards, and they are licensed out (to companies like TIVO). If and when they do become available, you will probably have to rent them from the cable Voles. In fact, the number of HD channels you can pick up OTA is a function of how close you are to the companies dish that picks up or broadcasts the HD signal. Other than OTA, the only way to get the signal into your computer is through an analog coax connect after the signal passes through the cable company's channel switching box. Can you spell "monopoly"? We gotta make some noise to change that.