anonymous access to win2000 machine

hi, i have a computer with myself as the only user able to log on locally,
and 3 guest accounts (local logon denied)...for LAN users to access my
shares...

being a bit security paranoid :-) i have taken almost every step to secure
my computer, however i still find that they can, using computer management,
connect to my computer, use their guest accounts username and password and
then be able to view my local user accounts

i also have through the registry disabled the default shares
(C:\,D:\ADMIN,etc.) ,the default guest account is renamed, passworded and
disabled and every stringent security option in the local security policy is
enabled. i know, i know, your probably thinking who cares they can see ur
user accounts, however I want my computer COMPLETELY protected from any kind
of access remotely over the network...

can anyone help me here to make my machine completely secure?

thanks in advance
2 answers Last reply
More about anonymous access win2000 machine

    Hello,

    Please visit the following website:

    How to strengthen the security settings for the Local Machine zone in
    Internet Explorer
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;833633

    5-Minute Security Advisor - Protecting Your Computer Against Compromise
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/5min/5min-102.mspx

    Securing Windows 2000 Professional in a Peer-to-Peer Networking Environment
    http://www.microsoft.com/smallbusiness/gtm/securityguidance/articles/sec_win
    2000pro_p2p.mspx

    Thank You.

    Diana

    Since you offer shares to users you need to have file and print sharing
    enabled obviously. There are a couple things you can try.

    -- First try disabling the remote registry service.
    -- If you are administrator of the other computers and they are not you can
    use Local Group Policy via gpedit.msc to disable their ability to use mmc
    snapins such as Computer Management. --- Steve

    "Newsreader" <news@news.com> wrote in message
    > hi, i have a computer with myself as the only user able to log on locally,
    > and 3 guest accounts (local logon denied)...for LAN users to access my
    > shares...
    >
    > being a bit security paranoid :-) i have taken almost every step to secure
    > my computer, however i still find that they can, using computer
    management,
    > connect to my computer, use their guest accounts username and password and
    > then be able to view my local user accounts
    >
    > i also have through the registry disabled the default shares
    > (C:\,D:\ADMIN,etc.) ,the default guest account is renamed, passworded and
    > disabled and every stringent security option in the local security policy
    is
    > enabled. i know, i know, your probably thinking who cares they can see ur
    > user accounts, however I want my computer COMPLETELY protected from any
    kind
    > of access remotely over the network...
    >

    > can anyone help me here to make my machine completely secure?
    >
    > thanks in advance

Security Computers Windows