Problem with decoding data in Server 2003 which were encod..

Hello everybody!

At first i had 2 OS: XP and Server 2003. In XP i had to use encoded methods granted
buy XP (like win2000, Server2003) to some dir and files (by advanced properties of files|dirs).
But subsequently XP died (after this happened i didnt format partition with XP).

And HOW please tell how can I RECOVER data encoded by another OS in 2003 Server.
3 answers Last reply
More about problem decoding data server 2003 encod

    You need access to the EFS private keys for either the user or recovery
    agent to decrypt those files and their passwords. The best way is from a
    backup of the private keys. If you did not backup the private keys and the
    user/RA profiles are still intact and you know the passwords for those
    accounts you "may" have luck recovering the data through a paid support call
    to Microsoft or a third party recovery program that will run around
    100. --- Steve

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316 --- no one
    should use EFS without reading this first.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B255742
    http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

    "vladimir" <vladimir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody!
    >
    > At first i had 2 OS: XP and Server 2003. In XP i had to use encoded
    methods granted
    > buy XP (like win2000, Server2003) to some dir and files (by advanced
    properties of files|dirs).
    > But subsequently XP died (after this happened i didnt format partition
    with XP).

    > And HOW please tell how can I RECOVER data encoded by another OS in 2003
    Server.

    Thank you very much for Your advices Steve.
    Paid support call to Microsoft is unrealizable.
    Third party EFs Data Rec prog found essential keys, but
    it still cant unlock decrypted files after indicating appropriate
    user account login and password. (that login was in Cyrillic,
    password in Latin - english).
    P.S this software was good at recovering data in working system, where
    password and login are written in latin.
    P.P.S
    If there any others decrypting software?

    thanks
    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > You need access to the EFS private keys for either the user or recovery
    > agent to decrypt those files and their passwords. The best way is from a
    > backup of the private keys. If you did not backup the private keys and the
    > user/RA profiles are still intact and you know the passwords for those
    > accounts you "may" have luck recovering the data through a paid support call
    > to Microsoft or a third party recovery program that will run around
    > 100. --- Steve
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316 --- no one
    > should use EFS without reading this first.
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B255742
    > http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html
    >
    > "vladimir" <vladimir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Hello everybody!
    > >
    > > At first i had 2 OS: XP and Server 2003. In XP i had to use encoded
    > methods granted
    > > buy XP (like win2000, Server2003) to some dir and files (by advanced
    > properties of files|dirs).
    > > But subsequently XP died (after this happened i didnt format partition
    > with XP).
    > >
    > > And HOW please tell how can I RECOVER data encoded by another OS in 2003
    > Server.

    I don't know of any offhand. Try searching http://google.com for : " efs
    recovery software " . I would also try to email the people at ElcomSoft to
    see if they can help further. Good luck. --- Steve

    > Thank you very much for Your advices Steve.
    > Paid support call to Microsoft is unrealizable.
    > Third party EFs Data Rec prog found essential keys, but
    > it still cant unlock decrypted files after indicating appropriate
    > user account login and password. (that login was in Cyrillic,
    > password in Latin - english).
    > P.S this software was good at recovering data in working system, where
    > password and login are written in latin.
    > P.P.S
    > If there any others decrypting software?
    >
    > thanks
    > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    >
    > > You need access to the EFS private keys for either the user or recovery
    > > agent to decrypt those files and their passwords. The best way is from a
    > > backup of the private keys. If you did not backup the private keys and
    the
    > > user/RA profiles are still intact and you know the passwords for those
    > > accounts you "may" have luck recovering the data through a paid support
    call
    > > to Microsoft or a third party recovery program that will run around
    > > 100. --- Steve
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;223316 --- no
    one
    > > should use EFS without reading this first.
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B255742
    > > http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html
    > >
    > > "vladimir" <vladimir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hello everybody!
    > > >
    > > > At first i had 2 OS: XP and Server 2003. In XP i had to use encoded
    > > methods granted
    > > > buy XP (like win2000, Server2003) to some dir and files (by advanced
    > > properties of files|dirs).
    > > > But subsequently XP died (after this happened i didnt format partition
    > > with XP).
    > > >
    > > > And HOW please tell how can I RECOVER data encoded by another OS in
    2003
    > > Server.

Windows XP Servers Windows