Hidden Admin account?

Tags:
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
February 26, 2005 2:11:47 AM

My 8 year old grandson is rapidly teaching himself the ins & outs of XP Home
on his PC
and is beginning to get dangerous. Recently he's discovered how to set up
his own passworded
Admin account and I'm concerned that he might forget his password and lock
himself out.
Is it possible for me set up a 'hidden' Admin account that he'll be unable
to tamper with just
so that I can get in should this occur?

More about : hidden admin account

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 2:11:48 AM

"Zak T" <z@a.me.uk> wrote in message
| My 8 year old grandson is rapidly teaching himself the ins & outs of XP
| on his PC
| and is beginning to get dangerous. Recently he's discovered how to set up
| his own passworded
| Admin account and I'm concerned that he might forget his password and lock
| himself out.
| Is it possible for me set up a 'hidden' Admin account that he'll be unable
| to tamper with just
| so that I can get in should this occur?

Consider creating a password reset disk.

Open User Accounts in Control Panel. Highlight a given user and click
"Prevent a forgotten password" in the Tasks Panel. This is dependent on your
system having a floppy disk drive.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.
Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:03:17 AM

I believe there is an "Administrator" account built in. This is different
from the one you would set up when installing XP.

Logon as "Administrator" as the username (no password) so then you can reset
passwords for your users etc, and do everything you would do with your own
Administrator account/account with admin priviledges.

Others here can correct me on the above if I'm misinformed.....

"Zak T" <z@a.me.uk> wrote in message
> My 8 year old grandson is rapidly teaching himself the ins & outs of XP
> Home on his PC
> and is beginning to get dangerous. Recently he's discovered how to set up
> his own passworded
> Admin account and I'm concerned that he might forget his password and lock
> himself out.
> Is it possible for me set up a 'hidden' Admin account that he'll be unable
> to tamper with just
> so that I can get in should this occur?

Anonymous
February 26, 2005 11:52:27 PM

Thank you folks. Both methods appear to solve any future problems

!