How can logged on user reset "Local Settings*.*" back to d..

Is there any way that a logged on user can reset the
entire "%userprofile%\Local Settings" folder back to
default? By first killing some process(es)? This is so
multiple consecutive users can use the same logged on user
account, but get a fresh start without a logoff/on. This
is necessary in order to use certain session timing
software.
3 answers Last reply
More about logged user reset local settings back

    I am not quite sure what your need is here but a user can change permissions
    on any folder where he has full control or is the owner of the folder. If
    you do not want them to change permissions then give them no more than
    modify and remove them from ownership if they are the owner. If you have a
    certain need for your application, give the group of users the needed
    permissions to the folder. If the logged on user has proper permissions to
    the folder and you need to change the permissions back to a certain
    configuration, try to create a shorcut using fileacl to configure the
    permissions to your needs. --- Steve

    http://membres.lycos.fr/jfb/gb/gbtools/fileacl.htm -- info in fileacl

    "m0e" <mlindh@nols.org> wrote in message
    > Is there any way that a logged on user can reset the
    > entire "%userprofile%\Local Settings" folder back to
    > default? By first killing some process(es)? This is so
    > multiple consecutive users can use the same logged on user
    > account, but get a fresh start without a logoff/on. This
    > is necessary in order to use certain session timing
    > software.

    Not a permissions issue at all. It's a sharing violation or files in use by a process, namely .dat files and logs. I want my timing software to initiate a script that will overwrite the entire logged-on user's Local Settings folder, so that the next consecutive user seems to start with a fresh slate. I was wondering if I could do this by killing [what] processes, then overwriting the files, then restarting processes?

    "Steven L Umbach" wrote:

    > I am not quite sure what your need is here but a user can change permissions
    > on any folder where he has full control or is the owner of the folder. If
    > you do not want them to change permissions then give them no more than
    > modify and remove them from ownership if they are the owner. If you have a
    > certain need for your application, give the group of users the needed
    > permissions to the folder. If the logged on user has proper permissions to
    > the folder and you need to change the permissions back to a certain
    > configuration, try to create a shorcut using fileacl to configure the
    > permissions to your needs. --- Steve
    >
    > http://membres.lycos.fr/jfb/gb/gbtools/fileacl.htm -- info in fileacl
    >
    > "m0e" <mlindh@nols.org> wrote in message
    > > Is there any way that a logged on user can reset the
    > > entire "%userprofile%\Local Settings" folder back to
    > > default? By first killing some process(es)? This is so
    > > multiple consecutive users can use the same logged on user
    > > account, but get a fresh start without a logoff/on. This
    > > is necessary in order to use certain session timing
    > > software.

    I have don't know if you can do it the way you want. There are free tools as
    SysInternals that may help you try by identifying and killing processes. --- Steve

    http://www.sysinternals.com/

    "m0e" <m0e@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Not a permissions issue at all. It's a sharing violation or files in use by a
    process, namely .dat files and logs. I want my timing software to initiate a script
    that will overwrite the entire logged-on user's Local Settings folder, so that the
    next consecutive user seems to start with a fresh slate. I was wondering if I could
    do this by killing [what] processes, then overwriting the files, then restarting
    processes?

    > "Steven L Umbach" wrote:
    >
    > > I am not quite sure what your need is here but a user can change permissions
    > > on any folder where he has full control or is the owner of the folder. If
    > > you do not want them to change permissions then give them no more than
    > > modify and remove them from ownership if they are the owner. If you have a
    > > certain need for your application, give the group of users the needed
    > > permissions to the folder. If the logged on user has proper permissions to
    > > the folder and you need to change the permissions back to a certain
    > > configuration, try to create a shorcut using fileacl to configure the
    > > permissions to your needs. --- Steve
    > >
    > > http://membres.lycos.fr/jfb/gb/gbtools/fileacl.htm -- info in fileacl
    > >
    > > "m0e" <mlindh@nols.org> wrote in message
    > > > Is there any way that a logged on user can reset the
    > > > entire "%userprofile%\Local Settings" folder back to
    > > > default? By first killing some process(es)? This is so
    > > > multiple consecutive users can use the same logged on user
    > > > account, but get a fresh start without a logoff/on. This
    > > > is necessary in order to use certain session timing
    > > > software.

Security Microsoft Windows