Screen flickers when over clocked even 4mhz

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
I have the same card.

Don't use Catalyst - in fact I recommend uninstalling it. ATI Tool or ATI Tray Tools are much better programs for overclocking. I've managed to boost my GPU clock by over 60MHz (about 10%).

Heres a little tip:
In ATI Tray Tools, under overclock settings click the "calculate" button. You will get a popup window such as this:

untitledze4.jpg

As you can see, there are ratios for the CPU clock and Memory clock. You might get different ratios, but for mine we do the following:
GPU: 594 rfd: 175
Memory: 695.25 rfd: 102

Now, dividing 594 by 175 gives us 3.394. When overclocking the GPU increase the value by 3MHz. Other values will cause artifacts, or black screen.

For the Memory Clock 695.25 / 102 = 6.816. To overclock the memory, increase by 7MHz. Other values will cause artifacts, or black screen.

I hope this helps.

GXPTG

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2007
Hmm... exact same problem here. Sapphire X1950Pro, MSI 96 platinum and Catalyst 7.2 drivers. With the normal Cataltyst OC'ing I get the screen flicker at +1 Mhz. I tried the ATI tools, but even +1Mhz and the screen goes blank.

Am I daft or do I need to RTFM? Seems like a pretty simple and straight forward tool. I AM overclocking my E6300 and an running Corsair C4 memory, but I haven't bumoed up my PCIe voltage at all. Is that a possible fix? My PSU is a Thermaltake Toughpower 700W. Single card, 2 HDD's and two ROM drives, so I have plenty of power.

TonyStark

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
Hmm... exact same problem here. Sapphire X1950Pro, MSI 96 platinum and Catalyst 7.2 drivers. With the normal Cataltyst OC'ing I get the screen flicker at +1 Mhz. I tried the ATI tools, but even +1Mhz and the screen goes blank.

Read my post above. DON'T increase by 1MHz!! You need to use the correct values, or the screen will lockup.

Well what do we do if we are running Vista? :)

That means you take it off and load XP. HAHA just kidding.

I run ATI Tray Tools overtop of the ATI Cataylst drivers, if not your GPU will run in 3d mode all the time and not clock down. Isnt that card Already overclocked 25MHZ stock? Also that cooler isnt the greatest. I had one on my x1900xtx and the fan didnt run fast enought. Us one of the programs and set it to fun 100% duty cycle all the time, its VERY quiet and you will get the most out of it. And to add to it, that cooler isnt the absolute greatest just a little better and MUChH queiter than stock.

BigCharb

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
OMG! i have the same problems, i though it was my card overheating but nope. even when i use ATI tool and Tray tools. i think its cuz i'm using a CRT instead of an LCD. is anyone using an LCD and having this problem?