Why Can't I begin...

I'm playing the game multiplayer using a LAN connection. My buddy cannot
get down the well. We've just survived the initial attack from the Drow in
the in that you start in and we raced to the well with the innkeeper to
repel the remaining Drow and we've completed that.

We went outside to see who had what to sell and we killed a couple more Drow
(drueger) outside as well. We've gotten equipped and we're ready to head to
Undermountain.

When I click on the well, I get a dialogue box that asks me if I want to
descend (Yes or No). If I click yes I descend and I've already completed
the Cowardly Goblin dialogue and allowed him to go topside where he's
working for Duran in the inn. Whenever my buddy clicks on the well, Duran
comes over and begins his initial dialogue with him. No matter how much of
the dialogue he follows he never gets the the descent dialogue from clicking
on the well.

Every time Duran starts talking w/him as if he'd never spoken w/him.

Anybody else have this problem?

So you're getting two lots of Duran are you - wouldn't that be Duran Duran?

!

"Jeff Harbin" <Prez1210@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> I'm playing the game multiplayer using a LAN connection. My buddy cannot
> get down the well. We've just survived the initial attack from the Drow
in
> the in that you start in and we raced to the well with the innkeeper to
> repel the remaining Drow and we've completed that.
>
> We went outside to see who had what to sell and we killed a couple more
Drow
> (drueger) outside as well. We've gotten equipped and we're ready to head
> Undermountain.
>
> When I click on the well, I get a dialogue box that asks me if I want to
> descend (Yes or No). If I click yes I descend and I've already completed
> the Cowardly Goblin dialogue and allowed him to go topside where he's
> working for Duran in the inn. Whenever my buddy clicks on the well, Duran
> comes over and begins his initial dialogue with him. No matter how much
of
> the dialogue he follows he never gets the the descent dialogue from
clicking
> on the well.
>
> Every time Duran starts talking w/him as if he'd never spoken w/him.
>
> Anybody else have this problem?

in case you can't read, HotU is NOT multiplayerable, there is however a mod
fix somewhere on NWVault, a google search might pull it up.

Syn

The specifications on the box for HotU list multiplayer. And I quote "Local
Area Network with TCP/IP protocol or established internet connection"

So how is in NOT multiplayerable?

"Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> in case you can't read, HotU is NOT multiplayerable, there is however a
> mod
> fix somewhere on NWVault, a google search might pull it up.
>
> Syn

"Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> in case you can't read, HotU is NOT multiplayerable, there is however a
> mod
> fix somewhere on NWVault, a google search might pull it up.
>
> Syn

Where exactly is it written? I looked on the box and in the quick start
part of the manual and didn't see anything about not playing multiplayer.
Of course it's late and I just finished a three hour class on South African
music so things are kinda blurry.

Jeff Harbin wrote:
> The specifications on the box for HotU list multiplayer. And I quote "Local
> Area Network with TCP/IP protocol or established internet connection"
>
> So how is in NOT multiplayerable?
>

> "Visceral_Syn" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>
>>in case you can't read, HotU is NOT multiplayerable, there is however a
>>mod
>>fix somewhere on NWVault, a google search might pull it up.
>>
>>Syn

The additional material - tilesets etc; are capable of being used in
multiplayer games. The actual module is designed for single player, as
were the OC, and SOU.

Kharsis

Kharsis wrote:
> Jeff Harbin wrote:
>
>> The specifications on the box for HotU list multiplayer. And I quote
>> "Local Area Network with TCP/IP protocol or established internet
>> connection"
>>
>> So how is in NOT multiplayerable?

There is something ironic about asking that question in a thread which
you started because you can't play it multiplayer.

Mind, my sympathies are entirely with you. It was incredibly lazy of
Bioware not to make the HotU campaign compatible with multiplayer.
Think for a minute, though. "How is it not multiplayerable?" This
thread wouldn't be here if you didn't know the answer to that question.

> The additional material - tilesets etc; are capable of being used in
> multiplayer games. The actual module is designed for single player, as
> were the OC, and SOU.

Erm, well. SoU was fully suited for multiplayer; my girlfriend and I
played through it, and it made fully as much sense for our characters as
it would have for one character with one of the NPC companions. The OC
isn't as obviously intended to be multiplayerable--a lot of the
characters react in weird ways--but only HotU really doesn't work for
multiplayer.

However, the problems can be worked around with this:
http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1071905099790.shtml .

For all you guys who have all the answers (ie., why don't you read it's not
multiplayer, and other helpful tidbits of knowledge). I figured out the
problem and we ARE playing it multiplayer just fine. I don't think it's me
who needs to learn something.....

"Kish" <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> Kharsis wrote:
>> Jeff Harbin wrote:
>>
>>> The specifications on the box for HotU list multiplayer. And I quote
>>> "Local Area Network with TCP/IP protocol or established internet
>>> connection"
>>>
>>> So how is in NOT multiplayerable?
>
> There is something ironic about asking that question in a thread which you
> started because you can't play it multiplayer.
>
> Mind, my sympathies are entirely with you. It was incredibly lazy of
> Bioware not to make the HotU campaign compatible with multiplayer. Think
> for a minute, though. "How is it not multiplayerable?" This thread
> wouldn't be here if you didn't know the answer to that question.
>
>> The additional material - tilesets etc; are capable of being used in
>> multiplayer games. The actual module is designed for single player, as
>> were the OC, and SOU.
>
> Erm, well. SoU was fully suited for multiplayer; my girlfriend and I
> played through it, and it made fully as much sense for our characters as
> it would have for one character with one of the NPC companions. The OC
> isn't as obviously intended to be multiplayerable--a lot of the characters
> react in weird ways--but only HotU really doesn't work for multiplayer.
>
> However, the problems can be worked around with this:
> http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1071905099790.shtml .

Jeff Harbin quoted like an epileptic piglet :
> For all you guys who have all the answers (ie., why don't you read it's not
> multiplayer, and other helpful tidbits of knowledge). I figured out the
> problem and we ARE playing it multiplayer just fine. I don't think it's me
> who needs to learn something.....

To put it simply, every single campaigns released for NWN are built as
'modules'. A module by definition, unless it's specified scriptwise, can
be ran as a multiplayer game. The problem atm is that neither the NWN
official campaign nor its expansion packs Shadows of Undrentide and
Hordes of the Underdark have been tested by Bioware as multiplayer
campaigns. And since, these modules _are not intended_ to be multiplayed
in the first time, the Bioware developpers didn't took in consideration
multiplayer compatibility.
You have to know that in NWN, 'quests' or 'tasks' are implemented in
basically two ways. First, dialogs or events could be triggered by the
presence of specific items in your inventory: ie, a NPC requests you to
go and kill a dragon, he will 'know' you have successed in your task
when you'll have the dragon's head in your inventory bag. This way is
pretty convenient in multiplayer games. The second way on the other hand
consists by 'positionning' some variables your PC's (in this case Player
Character). ie, when you complete certain conditions the NPC updates
'yourself' with a new value: for example, the variable will take the
value var_determining_which_step_in_my_quest_i_am =
var_determining_which_step_in_my_quest_i_am + 1. In this case if a
certain sentence in a dialog is triggered by the value 2 and that you
perform an action that triggers the incrementation of this value up to
3, then you'll just never never hear the NPC pronounce the dialog piece #2.
The problem with HotU, is that the NPC who activates the lift somewhat
behave like a 'teleporter'. You can take the lift by selecting a
specific choice in a dialog, then the NPC 'teleports' you and your party
to the next zone. The problem for you is that Duran will only offer
you the choice to "use the lift" after you have successfully completed
the "cowardly goblin" quest: that's mandatory unless you would be able
to go down in the underdark before you completed this little task.
Unfortunately since only one player at a time can perform the "cowardly
goblin" dialog, that means your buddy will never get offered the
opportunity to use the lift, as Duran is "convinced" he already chatted
with someone about this goblin.
If others has already told you, there IS a fix available on the NWN
vault allowing multiple players to gain access to the "use the lift"
dialog part. And their answers were right so you really didn't have to
be that aggressive. As any of the Bioware campaigns, HotU is _runnable_
as a multiplayer module but the behaviour of the game then will be not
_guaranteed_ at all.

--
Ezechiel

"Ezechiel" <ezechiel_at_googoth_dot_com@aol.com> wrote in message
> Jeff Harbin quoted like an epileptic piglet :
>> For all you guys who have all the answers (ie., why don't you read it's
>> not multiplayer, and other helpful tidbits of knowledge). I figured out
>> the problem and we ARE playing it multiplayer just fine. I don't think
>> it's me who needs to learn something.....
>>
> To put it simply, <Large Snip of Simple Explanation>

>If others has already told you, there IS a fix available on the NWN vault
>allowing multiple players to gain access to the "use the lift" dialog part.
>And their answers were right so you really didn't have to be that
>aggressive. As any of the Bioware campaigns, HotU is _runnable_ as a
>multiplayer module but the behaviour of the game then will be not
>_guaranteed_ at all.
>
> --
> Ezechiel

I really don't blame Jeff for getting testy. Some of the regulars here seem
to have forgotten there was a time when they had to ask questions about the
game. When Hoards was first released a lot of people had the same problem
Jeff encountered so it's nothing new nor is it a noobie issue. When someone
asks a question simply give them an answer, not a sermon.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

That dates you ;-)

> So you're getting two lots of Duran are you - wouldn't that be Duran
> Duran?
>
> !
>

>> When I click on the well, I get a dialogue box that asks me if I want to
>> descend (Yes or No). If I click yes I descend and I've already completed
>> the Cowardly Goblin dialogue and allowed him to go topside where he's
>> working for Duran in the inn. Whenever my buddy clicks on the well,
>> Duran
>> comes over and begins his initial dialogue with him. No matter how much
> of
>> the dialogue he follows he never gets the the descent dialogue from
> clicking
>> on the well.
>>
>> Every time Duran starts talking w/him as if he'd never spoken w/him.
>>
>> Anybody else have this problem?

You have no idea - I was old when they were young!!

Best wishes
Maxon

"Dave" <dave2972@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> That dates you ;-)

Good point, P.

OTOH, Xocyll once said:
(from:

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.neverwinter-nights/browse_thread/thread/6f71bfc2e53f0521/0a3ace56419697b9?q=hotu+multiplayer&rnum=3#0a3ace56419697b9)
Well the writing on the back of the box is pretty explicit in it's
phrasing of "20 hours single-player campaign".

Course, I don't support "rudity" in any form. Yeah, I know, it's
"rudeness". still...

Peridot wrote :
> I really don't blame Jeff for getting testy. Some of the regulars here seem
> to have forgotten there was a time when they had to ask questions about the
> game. When Hoards was first released a lot of people had the same problem
> Jeff encountered so it's nothing new nor is it a noobie issue. When someone
> asks a question simply give them an answer, not a sermon.

I hope you didn't mention about a sermon because of me, it wasn't
sincerly the case.

> Peridot wrote :
>> I really don't blame Jeff for getting testy. Some of the regulars here
>> seem to have forgotten there was a time when they had to ask questions
>> about the game. When Hoards was first released a lot of people had the
>> same problem Jeff encountered so it's nothing new nor is it a noobie
>> issue. When someone asks a question simply give them an answer, not a
>> sermon.
>>

> I hope you didn't mention about a sermon because of me, it wasn't sincerly
> the case.

> Ezechiel

I wasn't referring to you. Sorry if you took it that way. Your post had
good information content and very little sermonizing ;-) I was making a
general statement for everyone, myself included, to consider. I've been on
this group under one handle or another since shortly after it formed and I
realize how easy it is to be irritated with someone who doesn't bother to
search the archieves for answers or have time to read the manual. What we
need to remember is how many dumb questions we asked before we found all the
resources. In this particular instance I looked over the original HoU box
and manual and didn't find a reference to problems with multiplayer in the
module. That doesn't mean it isn't there but I recall learning about it on
this group and on the Bioware groups.

Well, yes it does. Either that or it's a new acronym for "Several On
Line Opponents"

But that's a single word in a single line in the back(?) of a box or
inside the manual. I can't say that I read and remember every single
line of every box of stuff that I buy (well, cereal boxes might be an
exception - shameful, really, how low in fiber and how high in sugar
most cereals are).

Where's your HotU box, and how often do you refer to it?

Frankly, I skipped most of the HotU manual and went right for the
crunchy, sugar-frosted bits - the epic spells, feats, etc., popped in
the disk, and started playing. I haven't looked at the box (or manual)
since I purchased the game.

So, I have to agree with P. We were all noobs at one time or another,
and RTFM is never helpful. alt.games.NWN has always been one of the
politer, more helpful, and less "spamful" low-noise groups, which is
one reason I hang out here (well, that plus I don't have enough purpose
or meaning in life, at least when I'm supposed to be working).

<alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Well, yes it does. Either that or it's a new acronym for "Several On
> Line Opponents"

Pfaff

>> Where's your HotU box, and how often do you refer to it?
>
> Frankly, I skipped most of the HotU manual and went right for the
> crunchy, sugar-frosted bits - the epic spells, feats, etc., popped in
> the disk, and started playing. I haven't looked at the box (or manual)
> since I purchased the game.

Honestly, kids today...

> So, I have to agree with P. We were all noobs at one time or another,
> and RTFM is never helpful.

And neither are acronyms - WTF is RTFM?

alt.games.NWN has always been one of the
> politer, more helpful, and less "spamful" low-noise groups, which is
> one reason I hang out here (well, that plus I don't have enough purpose
> or meaning in life, at least when I'm supposed to be working).

Oh - been there ... Still there for that matter.

Best wishes
Maxon

Maxon wrote :
> <alordofchaos@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>>So, I have to agree with P. We were all noobs at one time or another,
>>and RTFM is never helpful.
>

> And neither are acronyms - WTF is RTFM?

It's an usual acronym used to gently invite a newbie or a luser to look
at the manual for answering his, usually stupid, questions.
This term is also commonly used in conjonction with the other acronym
"STFU".

Ie:
"- < insert dumb question here >?
- RTFM 'n' STFU!"

To conclude i'll quote the Usenet rule #17:
"Go not to UseNet for counsel, for they will say both `No' and
`Yes' and `Try another newsgroup'."

--
Ezechiel

Jeff Harbin wrote:
> For all you guys who have all the answers (ie., why don't you read it's not
> multiplayer, and other helpful tidbits of knowledge). I figured out the
> problem and we ARE playing it multiplayer just fine.

If you don't download the modifications from the Vault that someone else mentioned, you WILL have problems later on.

The HotU module is designed for single-player only, while the changes made to the Player Client, DM-Client, and Toolset
are of course multi-player.
--
My NWN Work So Far: http://tinyurl.com/6xy2f
"Pits of red smoke and fog are usually bad."

Ezechiel wrote:

> - A brand new 20 hours solo campaign

Surely SOLO means single player?

Kharsis

Heh, I lied :)
Sorry, just making a point.
My HotU/SoU/OC boxes are under my desk

I'm incredibly anal about the original boxes, especially for games I
like and for hardware I've installed.

For the hardware, I take out the supporting cardboard, flatten it out,
and shelve it in the basement. It's easier for me to dig out the box
and look up stuff than to find the installation CD and look through the
documentation (and anyways, lots of times the CD manuals are for
several different models). For my PCI and AGP cards, I write or type
out the model # and tape it to the outside, so I can easily see what I
have (instead of relying on memory, AIDA32, etc,)

And I _always_ (now) write the CD key on the CD :)

Heh, I lied :)
Sorry, just making a point.
My HotU/SoU/OC boxes are under my desk

I'm incredibly anal about the original boxes, especially for games I
like and for hardware I've installed.

For the hardware, I take out the supporting cardboard, flatten it out,
and shelve it in the basement. It's easier for me to dig out the box
and look up stuff than to find the installation CD and look through the
documentation (and anyways, lots of times the CD manuals are for
several different models). For my PCI and AGP cards, I write or type
out the model # and tape it to the outside, so I can easily see what I
have (instead of relying on memory, AIDA32, etc,)

And I _always_ (now) write the CD key on the CD :)

alordofchaos@yahoo.com wrote:
> Well, yes it does. Either that or it's a new acronym for "Several On
> Line Opponents"
>
> But that's a single word in a single line in the back(?) of a box or
> inside the manual. I can't say that I read and remember every single
> line of every box of stuff that I buy (well, cereal boxes might be an
> exception - shameful, really, how low in fiber and how high in sugar
> most cereals are).
>
> Where's your HotU box, and how often do you refer to it?
>
> Frankly, I skipped most of the HotU manual and went right for the
> crunchy, sugar-frosted bits - the epic spells, feats, etc., popped in
> the disk, and started playing. I haven't looked at the box (or manual)
> since I purchased the game.
>
> So, I have to agree with P. We were all noobs at one time or another,
> and RTFM is never helpful. alt.games.NWN has always been one of the
> politer, more helpful, and less "spamful" low-noise groups, which is
> one reason I hang out here (well, that plus I don't have enough purpose
> or meaning in life, at least when I'm supposed to be working).

Can't argue - usually most of my boxes get thrown in the recycling once
I am sure they will run on my PC.

Personally I wouldn't have thought have googling the newsgroup as I am
unsure how to actually google a newsgroup. Yes I do know what google is :)

Kharsis

Kharsis wrote:

> Personally I wouldn't have thought have googling the newsgroup as I
> am unsure how to actually google a newsgroup. Yes I do know what
> google is :)

Use groups.google.com which can also be reached by clicking the "Groups"
link on the main google page.

To search a specific group, use:

<your search terms> group:<group name>

So to find posts you made (or that reference you) in this group:

Kharsis group:alt.games.neverwinter-nights

which gives us:

http://groups-beta.google.com/groups?q=Kharsis+group%3Aalt.games.neverwinter-nights

- W. Citoan
--
The universe is not hostile, nor get is it friendly. It is simply
indifferent.

alordofchaos@yahoo.com looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>Good point, P.
>
>OTOH, Xocyll once said:
>(from:
>
>http://groups-beta.google.com/group/alt.games.neverwinter-nights/browse_thread/thread/6f71bfc2e53f0521/0a3ace56419697b9?q=hotu+multiplayer&rnum=3#0a3ace56419697b9)
>Well the writing on the back of the box is pretty explicit in it's
>phrasing of "20 hours single-player campaign".
>
>Course, I don't support "rudity" in any form. Yeah, I know, it's
>"rudeness". still...

Ayep, so I did.

You can add a little more to this by opening your HotU manual and
looking at page 12.

I quote (for those who don't know where their manuals are and/or can't
be bothered digging)
"These modules will take your character from levels 12-15 all the way
into the epic levels. After finishing the campaign you will notice that
there are still some epic feats and epic spells fro which your character
still does not meet the requirements. This is because the level cap for
Hordes of the Underdark is now 40 levels!

This is meant to encourage you to play online and enjoy the rich
multiplayer environment, where you can interact with other gamers as
your character journeys and gains more experience!"

In short, Bioware is saying "Here's a new single player campaign. When
you're done, go online and continue playing your character until you
reach the cap."

[NOTE that use of "character" not characters in the first sentence.]

Yes it is possible to play the campaign multiplayer, just as it's
possible to roller skate on a freeway - it's not intended and it's not a
good idea, but it is possible.

Xocyll