chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I just built my PC yesterday and it's been running all day long today. I came home and noticed that the CPU fan wasn't spinning. Coretemp indicated overheated CPU. I nudged it with my finger and it took off. I shut it down. When I restarted it, the fan moved a tad, but would take off until nudged again.

Coretemp is now showing 36 degrees and Easy Tune 5 24-26.

Easy Tune 5 shows CPU fan speed to be abnormal (between 960 - 1200 RPM).

It obviously is not normal. Would you suggest to RMA the CPU/fan or could it be MB problem?

Jizumonkey

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
Even though I've given this advice out tens of times I still cant remember the exact setting...but, have you disabled the fan control in the BIOS?

There is a fan speed controller that will only bring the fan on when it gets warm. I personally dont like the idea of that so disable is, plus i can hear it all the time so can keep an ear on it.

If you have this setting done and still dont see your fan spinning merrily all the time, check the connector to the motherboard, someone last week had a problem where the 3 pin header for the CPU wasnt working but the one for the case was (they are the same). He connected it to the case one instead as he didnt want to wait two weeks for the RMA...a matter of preference i guess. And also a way of checking to see if your fans shot. ;)

btw, the 3 pin header for the case fan is located further away so you may not reach with your standard CPU fan lead.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
If you have this setting done and still dont see your fan spinning merrily all the time, check the connector to the motherboard, someone last week had a problem where the 3 pin header for the CPU wasnt working but the one for the case was (they are the same). He connected it to the case one instead as he didnt want to wait two weeks for the RMA...a matter of preference i guess. And also a way of checking to see if your fans shot. ;)

If you hook it into a different plug on the motherboard, your bios will tell you about it every time you start your computer. It has a warning screen or something.

chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
The only problem I have now is that when I start the PC, the CPU fan doesn't run immediately. Probably because of BIOS or EasyTunes 5 setting. It kicks in about a minute later and for couple of minutes it stops intermitently for a second and then starts again. After about 3-5 minutes, it's on all the time and all is well. I disabled the CPU fan alarm because it was annoying, but I am worried about having it disabled. Any suggestions on how to set this up either in BIOS or Easy Tunes so that it runs when it's supposed to?

Thanks, David

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I don't know what motherboard brand you have, but I have settings in my bios or software similar to easytune(I can't remember which it has been a while since I have messed with the settings) that controls the speed of the case fans by how warm all of the components are getting or you can set it to be on 100% all the time. When letting the software adjust the speed, I would get the same results that you are describing. The fans would spin for a minute then slow to a stop, then spin a little bit again. I eventually got a fan controller that lets me turn up or down my fans by the twist of a dial instead of being hooked into the motherboard except for my cpu fan. The cpu fan is still plugged into its appropriate plug.

Anyway, look for a setting to make the case fans stay on 100%.

chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
I've got the Gigabyte 965P-DS3. I'll look at Easy Tunes to see if I can set it to run 100% of the time. I'll feel better about it and turn on the alarm.

Thanks, horstmann.

horstmann

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I wouldn't worry about shutting off the alarm. It is just going to tell you something you already know. The purpose of it is to let you know that there is no fan plugged into it's plug or that fan is not spinning. You know that. I would try to get the fan spinning all the time 100% or plugged back into the correct location because as the chip heats up the fan generally speeds up.

Good luck

chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
The fan is plugged into the right plug - CPU fan. Since it's running just fine after a few minutes, I am assuming that this is the right plug. Question, though: PC Health in Easy Tunes shows a yellow and red alternating triangle next to CPU fan and System Fan. There is no system fan plugged in and it's disabled in BIOS. The RPM on CPU fan is anywhere between 900-1200 and 0 for system fan (not there). Are these triangles anything to worry about?

If you can remember the setting for running fan 100% of the time, please post back.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help.

I've got the Gigabyte 965P-DS3. I'll look at Easy Tunes to see if I can set it to run 100% of the time. I'll feel better about it and turn on the alarm.

Thanks, horstmann.

I have teh same board and it does the same thing. This is GB's stupid way of controlling noise. You can turn this feature off by turning off the CPU fan control in the mobo (cant tell you where, but its in there).

Now, when I turn on my PC, the fan stops and goes for about a second, then remains at a constent temp.

This is normal with the DS3 (and gigabyte). Just turn off the smart fan control.

chiefgabbai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
Comptia: Thanks for the info. I feel better that it's not a problem with my MB. I will look for the "smart" fan control to turn off. I'd feel better having the alarm on if there is really a problem and have the fan run 100% of the time.

Appreciate your and everyone's help. If anyone can point me directly to how to set up the BIOS/MB/whatever to get this accomplished, I would really appreciate it.

FishBoi - I am with you on an aftermarket HSF and will get one as soon as everything stablizes. I want to OC and will probably get the Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro. Thank you for your suggestion.

To note:

I run a 6600 on that Mobo, and it is quite as hell with stock HSF. I play BF2, Oblivion.... and the temps arnt a problem. Actually, with the 8800gts, and the 6600, the system is quiet enough to make me think its not on some times.

TRENDING THREADS