Sign in with
Your question

CPU fan quit spinning

Last response: in Systems
February 7, 2007 11:40:39 PM

I just built my PC yesterday and it's been running all day long today. I came home and noticed that the CPU fan wasn't spinning. Coretemp indicated overheated CPU. I nudged it with my finger and it took off. I shut it down. When I restarted it, the fan moved a tad, but would take off until nudged again.

Coretemp is now showing 36 degrees and Easy Tune 5 24-26.

Easy Tune 5 shows CPU fan speed to be abnormal (between 960 - 1200 RPM).

It obviously is not normal. Would you suggest to RMA the CPU/fan or could it be MB problem?

This was followed by a major power problem. See separate post. Need help/thoughts on both posts. Thanks.

(Accidentally posted on Gigabyte forum).

More about : cpu fan quit spinning

February 8, 2007 1:55:55 AM

BUMP! Could use some help.
February 8, 2007 2:00:48 AM

What part of the cooler moved? The wires point to the cooler. The heatsink point to a bad thermal seal(artic silver paste)
Related resources
February 8, 2007 2:06:20 AM

Not sure what you mean. The fan blades were not spinning until I spun it manually. Occasionally it would start on its own about a second or two after the main fan.
February 8, 2007 2:07:49 AM

REdo your thermal paste.
February 8, 2007 2:25:54 AM

dont listen to that other guy, he's a noob, ok first what are you system specs, secondly make sure that your fan power connection is plugged in right, if that still doesnt work, it might very well be a bad fan on the cooler, are you still running stock cooling? there are quite a few possibilities as to what it might be, so a little info on what hardware you are running is always helpful :D 
February 8, 2007 2:42:35 AM

Here is my build - appreciate your reply. Yes I am running stock cooling.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6300 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1681...
$187.00

MoBo:GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$125.99

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 532 RC-532-SKN1 Black Aluminum bezel, SECC chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$44.99 (After $5 instant rebate)

Case Fan: COOLER MASTER SAF-S12-E1 120mm Case Fan - Retail
$7.99

GPU: BFG Technologies BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording) ST3250620AS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E1682...
$79.99

PSU: FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN, 12cm FAN, version 2.2, 2 SATA, PCI Express, 450W Power Supply - Retail
$53.99

RAM: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4 - Retail
$224.00 (After $40.00 Mail-in Rebate)

DVD Burner: SAMSUNG 18X DVD±R DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write, LightScribe Technology Black IDE Model SH-S182M/BEBN - OEM
$29.99

DVD ROM: SONY Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1615/B2s - OEM
$18.99

1394: SYBA IEEE 1394a FireWire PCI Card with Internal 9-pin Header Model SD-VIA-FW1E1H - Retail
$9.99
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2007 2:48:04 AM

Those fan speeds are not really abnormal for a c2d when not running intensive tasks. What is abnormal is when the fan just stops or never starts at all without help.

Also:

Quote:
REdo your thermal paste.

?

Why is the world full of stupid people? You start talking about failing fans and this guy tells you to replace you thermal paste. :roll:
February 8, 2007 2:55:10 AM

I agree with randomizer (on everything!). The key question is *why* did your CPU fan not spin. If it's a fan problem, obviously it needs to be replaced. If the MB was not supplying it enough voltage to start it turning from a standing stop, that's a MB/power supply problem. Easy enough to tell if you've got another fan or another MB to test.
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2007 2:57:47 AM

Well its not like fans are power hogs (except vantec tornados :wink: ) and his system is running so its not likely, but possible.
February 8, 2007 3:02:39 AM

Like I said, I agree with randomizer. :)  Just listing the formal possibilities, although I'm surprised a new Intel OEM CPU hsf would fail.
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2007 3:12:32 AM

Its not like they test every fan for defects. They might have a batch of 5000 and they test 5.
a c 80 à CPUs
February 8, 2007 3:16:16 AM

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. The fan blades were not spinning until I spun it manually. Occasionally it would start on its own about a second or two after the main fan.

RMA it its bad.
February 8, 2007 3:23:23 AM

Time for a new HSF!
February 8, 2007 10:39:40 AM

Thank you all for your constructive replies. I appreciate it.
February 8, 2007 11:15:49 AM

Make sure the fan bracket/housing isn't cocked on the heatsink, that could make the fan bind a little bit.
Change your thermal paste.........that was a good one LOL. NOT !!!!!!
February 8, 2007 11:43:25 AM

Fan's bad! Get a new one!
February 8, 2007 11:58:16 AM

to substanciate:
- it could be some dust or bad grease that keeps the fan stuck until you give it some momentum. Since those fans are sealed and don't cost much anyway, see if you can replace the fan alone (it should be merely screwed or clipped on the heat spreader). Then, just to test it some more, plug it in another mobo fan plug and see if it starts. If it does, have a close look at your heat spreader - just to be sure that there's not something (like a piece of cardboard or plastic) stuck in there, which could impede a new fan.
- it could indeed be a lower than normal voltage coming from the mobo. No choice here, RMA the mobo. However, considering it spins at reasonable speeds for a boot up temperature, I don't think that's the case - see previous point to see if the fan would spin normally when plugged in another outlet.
- if you decide to replace the whole HS+Fan, be careful to remove all the pad paste from the CPU when mounting the new one. Keep an eye on it for a while too.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2007 12:09:48 PM

You should not have to "push" your CPU fan to get it started.
If the motherboard has the feature to change the fan speed according to CPU temperature, it could possibly be that the board is not supplying enough voltage, indicating there may be a problem with board.
I don't know what Intel calls it, but AMD's version of this is called "cool and quiet" If you have such a feature, you might try turning it off in your BIOS. That should keep the fan running at full speed all the time, see if that makes any difference in your fans behavior.
Although those kind of speeds are pretty normal for the temps you are showing. Most likely though, you just had a bit of bad luck and recieved a sub-par fan. Although once it gets going and "loosens" up a bit, I would still replace it. For no more than they cost, they are a very, very important part that you should not leave to chance!
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2007 12:25:55 PM

Quote:
REdo your thermal paste.

WTF has a fan not spinning to do with thermal paste? You really are a noob I guess.

Get yourself a new hsf an you'l be fine...
February 8, 2007 12:33:01 PM

Replace the $5-$10 fan, check for obstructions, and see if the problem goes away. Oh, I almost forgot, replace the thermal paste, cpu, motherboard, power supply, hard drive, optical drives, and the case. That should fix it.
February 8, 2007 12:35:28 PM

Yeah I'd have to agree that its either a dust problem which might be easily rectified without having to do the RMA thing or maybe its a problem with the ball bearing which is defect that would need to be RMA'ed. Good luck with your problem.
February 8, 2007 1:04:20 PM

Thank you all for your replies. I am assuming that since the fan came together with the CPU, I'd have to RMA the whole thing? Probably a good thing anyway since the CPU ran for who knows how long without cooling.
February 8, 2007 1:39:47 PM

Quote:
I just built my PC yesterday and it's been running all day long today. I came home and noticed that the CPU fan wasn't spinning. Coretemp indicated overheated CPU. I nudged it with my finger and it took off. I shut it down. When I restarted it, the fan moved a tad, but would take off until nudged again.

Coretemp is now showing 36 degrees and Easy Tune 5 24-26.

Easy Tune 5 shows CPU fan speed to be abnormal (between 960 - 1200 RPM).

It obviously is not normal. Would you suggest to RMA the CPU/fan or could it be MB problem?

This was followed by a major power problem. See separate post. Need help/thoughts on both posts. Thanks.

(Accidentally posted on Gigabyte forum).

Hey,

by chance do you have a Gigabyte 965-P S3?

I do, and had the exact same problem. In the BIOS there are multiple things that control the thermal sensor/fan rpm. You may need to change those, I did and the stock HSF works fine now.

Do that and let me know how it goes.
February 8, 2007 3:08:35 PM

It could also be that the bearings inside the fan became clouded with dust. This dust could cause the fan to randomly stop spinning which is why when you touched it with your finger it started spinning again. If you cannot get a replacement from your place of purchase. Newegg.com has the Zalman CNPS9500 LED on sale, a great heatsink even if you are not overclocking the crap out of your CPU.
February 8, 2007 3:42:36 PM

Ok I have the same motherboard and this is not a problem. Ignore all the rma suggestions. Update your bios to the most recent (f10 I believe) and you can change your fan settings either in bios so the fan stays at 100% all the time (your "problem" will completly disapear) or if noise is important to you change the settings in easy tune 5 for gygabite mobo's so that the fan blows harder when the cpu is still pretty cool. When your cpu is too cool the fan is told by the mobo to blow too slowly and it stops for a few seconds, watch your temps they won't go up so it's not really a problem at all, the heatsink alone can handle it for those moments.
Hope it helps
February 8, 2007 4:07:41 PM

Quote:
...Zalman CNPS9500 LED on sale, a great heatsink...

LOL :lol: 
right... overpriced sh!t.

there are better and cheaper heatsinks...
I'm not saying i know them.. but perhaps someone else might be able to recommend one that is truly great...
February 8, 2007 5:01:00 PM

I have the DS3. I'll look into it as soon as I can get into the BIOS. Have other problems - see post Major Power Problems.

Thanks, David
February 8, 2007 9:25:59 PM

OK, a friend of mine (our IT guy at the office) cleared CMOS, got the machine working again.

Now I noticed that when I start the PC, the CPU fan doesn't start, but the alarm goes off. After about 1/2 minute it started and for the first 5 mins of operation it would cut off for a second and then automatically start again. Now it's running fine without stopping.

Are you saying that this is normal? How do I find out the BIOS version I have now?

Thanks for the pointers everyone.
!