Cd-RW drive in trouble

My CD-RW drive has been slowly reading files for the last two days. Today I
find that it will hardly play a music disc( several retail commercial discs
were tried). It skips, static, interference, areas of silence. Allsop lens
cleaner makes no difference. The DVD drive works fine. Can someone help me
determine from this info, if the problem stems from software or from a
problem with the drive itself? Where do start from here? Thanks for any
advice.
6 answers Last reply
More about drive trouble

    Clean the drive.

    "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My CD-RW drive has been slowly reading files for the last two days. Today
    > find that it will hardly play a music disc( several retail commercial
    > discs
    > were tried). It skips, static, interference, areas of silence. Allsop
    > lens
    > cleaner makes no difference. The DVD drive works fine. Can someone help me
    > determine from this info, if the problem stems from software or from a
    > problem with the drive itself? Where do start from here? Thanks for any
    > advice.

    Thanks for your reply. Since I have tried Allsop lens cleaner and it didn't
    help, is there another way I should be cleaning the drive? Thanks.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Clean the drive.

    > "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My CD-RW drive has been slowly reading files for the last two days. Today
    > > find that it will hardly play a music disc( several retail commercial
    > > discs
    > > were tried). It skips, static, interference, areas of silence. Allsop
    > > lens
    > > cleaner makes no difference. The DVD drive works fine. Can someone help me
    > > determine from this info, if the problem stems from software or from a
    > > problem with the drive itself? Where do start from here? Thanks for any
    > > advice.

    Try the cd's on another computer. It they are OK, then check the
    connections on the cd drive. It is possible that the cd drive is going bad,
    so if you have another computer try switching the drives to see what you
    get. If the drive runs badly in another machine, replace the drive. With
    the new all-in-one cd/dvd rewriters now under $100 it might be time to
    upgrade the drive anyway.

    > Thanks for your reply. Since I have tried Allsop lens cleaner and it
    > didn't
    > help, is there another way I should be cleaning the drive? Thanks.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    >> Clean the drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > My CD-RW drive has been slowly reading files for the last two days.
    >> > Today
    >> > find that it will hardly play a music disc( several retail commercial
    >> > discs
    >> > were tried). It skips, static, interference, areas of silence. Allsop
    >> > lens
    >> > cleaner makes no difference. The DVD drive works fine. Can someone help
    >> > me
    >> > determine from this info, if the problem stems from software or from a
    >> > problem with the drive itself? Where do start from here? Thanks for any
    >> > advice.

    Thanks ever so much for your easy-to-understand advice. My solution to the
    problem surprised me--although it may not surprise you. I decided to give
    System Restore the "acid test" by using yesterday's restore point and darned
    if it didn't work! Sure appreciate your input. I got the easy way out this
    time! However, I'll still have to get a DVD burner one of these days.

    "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:

    > Try the cd's on another computer. It they are OK, then check the
    > connections on the cd drive. It is possible that the cd drive is going bad,
    > so if you have another computer try switching the drives to see what you
    > get. If the drive runs badly in another machine, replace the drive. With
    > the new all-in-one cd/dvd rewriters now under $100 it might be time to
    > upgrade the drive anyway.

    > "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for your reply. Since I have tried Allsop lens cleaner and it
    > > didn't
    > > help, is there another way I should be cleaning the drive? Thanks.
    > >
    > > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Clean the drive.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > >> (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > >> "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    try reinstalling the drivers. Later try the below steps......

    === Backing Up Registry and Registry Key ===

    CAUTION: The registry contains critical information and a
    registry backup is essential. An incorrect registry
    entry may cause serious system problems or prevent the
    computer from starting. You will not be warned of any
    incorrect registry entries. If the registry is not
    backed up, the only way to recover the system is to
    reinstall the operating system. Do not double-click the
    Backup.reg file on the desktop unless you intend to undo
    the changes you are making to the registry.

    1. Click Start and select Run.
    2. Type Regedit in the Open field and click OK.
    3. Click "File" in the menu.
    4. Click "Export" from the drop-down menu.
    5. Click the down arrow beside "Save In" and select Local Disk(C:).
    6. Type Backup.reg in the File Name field.
    7. Click Save.

    === Deleting UpperFilter and LowerFilter Registry Keys ===

    1. Click Start and click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit and click OK.
    3. Click the plus (+) sign beside HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    4. Click the plus (+) sign beside System.
    5. Click the plus (+) sign beside Current Control Set.
    6. Click the plus (+) sign beside Control.
    7. Click the plus (+) sign beside Class.
    8. Locate the {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} key and click it.
    9. On the File menu, click Export.
    10. In the File name box, type savedkey and click Save. It is better
    to save the "savedkey" to the desktop.
    11. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters (found in right
    window pane) and then click Delete on the Edit menu.
    12. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.

    NOTE: If this data type is missing, continue to the next
    method.

    13. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters (found in right
    window pane) and click Delete on the Edit menu.
    14. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    15. Quit the Registry Editor and restart the computer.

    "Breadstick" wrote:

    > Thanks ever so much for your easy-to-understand advice. My solution to the
    > problem surprised me--although it may not surprise you. I decided to give
    > System Restore the "acid test" by using yesterday's restore point and darned
    > if it didn't work! Sure appreciate your input. I got the easy way out this
    > time! However, I'll still have to get a DVD burner one of these days.
    >
    > "Colin Barnhorst" wrote:
    >
    > > Try the cd's on another computer. It they are OK, then check the
    > > connections on the cd drive. It is possible that the cd drive is going bad,
    > > so if you have another computer try switching the drives to see what you
    > > get. If the drive runs badly in another machine, replace the drive. With
    > > the new all-in-one cd/dvd rewriters now under $100 it might be time to
    > > upgrade the drive anyway.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Colin Barnhorst [MVP Windows - Virtual Machine]
    > > (Reply to the group only unless otherwise requested)
    > > "Breadstick" <Breadstick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > > Thanks for your reply. Since I have tried Allsop lens cleaner and it
    > > > didn't
    > > > help, is there another way I should be cleaning the drive? Thanks.

    Sidhu- How do I go about reinstalling the drivers. Thanks for the suggestion.

CD-Rom Windows XP