Sign in with
Your question

Any chance I can use my old RAM in a new Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
February 7, 2007 11:50:50 PM

I am currently running Socket A with a 2800+ CPU

2 gig of DDR400(PC3200)-184pin

I am looking for an upgrade on the CPU and MB.

Is my RAM hopeless to reuse?

I am planning on going the AMD route again.

More about : chance ram motherboard

February 8, 2007 12:19:12 AM

Socket 939 hurry up :roll:

What's your budget ?
February 8, 2007 12:22:41 AM

Depends, you could go the socket 939 path to extend the life of your ram and have a faster processor but have no upgrade path and an already obsolete platform

But if you want a C2D or AM2, sadly you have to retire the RAM

I actually upgraded from my old athlon xp 2000+ to a socket 754 sempron 3000+ last year so I could use my old ram (DDR333), I still saw a pretty significant performance increase and it will hold me over till my next computer another year or two from now.
Related resources
February 8, 2007 12:23:47 AM

Well...you could buy a socket 939 processor/motherboard; those work on DDR1 RAM. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a new build. The ASrock 939 Dual VSTA motherboard supposedly supports both 939 and AM2, even though there's no DDR2 slots. I've heard distinctly mixed reviews about that one. I'd either get the fastest Socket A cpu you can find via Ebay, or sell your RAM and start afresh. Sucks, doesn't it?
February 8, 2007 12:24:50 AM

I usually go for value....
1 MB lasts for 2 CPU's

probably $250-$300 range for MB+CPU
February 8, 2007 12:44:59 AM

K8N Diamond

this one also supports dual SLI
February 8, 2007 12:48:22 AM

Or this one ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe
February 8, 2007 1:27:44 AM

for s939, 3 choices that come to mind, X2 cpus, dual core opteron cpus, or dual core FX cpus

X2s are typically the most affordable, from X2 3800+ to X2 4800+, usually overclock fairly well

dual core opterons are sometimes affordable, and are very good overclockers typically (as they are designed for 24/7 operation in servers, making them the best bang for the buck then when considering overclocking)

and FXs are usually more enthusiast oriented and premium priced, FX-60 would be the only one to even consider here, as its the only dual core s939 FX cpu... not the way to go usually if youre concerned about keeping a budget
February 8, 2007 1:31:08 AM

I see that buying 2 1gig sticks of ram is not that bad.
Considering I can sell the RAM that I have now...

Now I am free to choose the best value in MB/CPU combo.

Any suggestions on that?
February 8, 2007 1:39:46 AM

well... if you sell your 2 gigs of pc3200, you can invest in some ddr2, an E4300 C2D cpu, and a quality 775LGA motherboard

...offhand that would seemingly put you over your budget though, but would also definetly be the best bang for the buck, especially where overclocking is concerned (~3.4GHz+ on stock cooling is possible, i believe)
February 8, 2007 1:44:57 AM

I was never much of an overclocker
I tried it early on and had problems with corrupt data.

I don't play games...

Digital imaging and video is for me.
The CPU/RAM was never the bottleneck. Just the HD speed and space.

I do go all out on cooling....
CPU case and harddrive.

I did just order a new case. My old case has seen 4 motherboards and 7 CPU upgrades. 4 PWS

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=81800
February 8, 2007 1:52:23 AM

well, truthfully, you may just then be able to keep your existing memory, invest in a s939 X2 and decent s939 motherboard, and consider something like a seagate 320GB 7200rpm PMR 7200.10 sata hdd. for under $100, its one of the best price/performance/capacity sata hdds currently available

edit: any s939 X2 will offer decent performance, so just go for whichever X2 is in your price range
February 8, 2007 2:34:10 AM

I already have 3 Raptor HD's... This was my most recent upgrade.

I do want/need a new video card.
I would rather go PCIe now...
February 8, 2007 2:58:38 AM

theyre definetly good hdds, have a few raptors myself :) 

most s939 MBs will come with at least one 16x PCIe slot... a few contain both PCIe and AGP, and a few have only AGP i believe (if youre looking to keep your existing AGP card for awhile longer, which may be something worth doing).

especially considering youre not playing games really, you typically wont need to spend too much on a gpu, even a motherboard with an integrated GPU will suffice then

if however, you still are looking to upgrade your gpu, a 7600GT is a decent performing PCIe gpu for ~$100
February 8, 2007 3:03:36 AM

I have been doing some reading on the 939 vs AM2 boards.

I am not seeing such a big gain based on cost...

I am planning on buying a new video card, I do not like mine.

I am currently running 2 LCD's and want TV out
February 8, 2007 3:12:13 AM

yeah, sAM2 wasnt intended to be a performance increase over s939, it was pretty much just a socket change, offering support for DDR2, and other things, but, no performance changes really over s939 as it is right now...

well, not sure which GPU you have, but, a 7600GT should cover those things and more... having 2 DVI connections for your lcds, and a VIVO connection for your tv, and for recording, etc (you may want to check the brand of card to see which connections it offers too)
February 8, 2007 3:22:21 AM

Quote:
I am currently running Socket A with a 2800+ CPU

2 gig of DDR400(PC3200)-184pin

I am looking for an upgrade on the CPU and MB.

Is my RAM hopeless to reuse?

I am planning on going the AMD route again.

There's this mobo...
P5PE-VM Asus motherboard

Sadly, it's an Intel, when you were looking for a AMD. I don't think you'll regret coming to the DARK SIDE. It's quite nice here! :twisted:

This mobo even is AGP 8x. You haven't said what vid card you have, if you have one, but I'm betting it's AGP. If you can wait just a couple of months, the E6300 is supposed to drop to $113. Quite the bargain! A Core 2 Duo setup for less than $170! You may have to update your power supply though. Something definitely to check into.

There's also this board with PCI-E x16...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135023
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2007 3:22:57 AM

Quote:
Well...you could buy a socket 939 processor/motherboard; those work on DDR1 RAM. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for a new build. The ASrock 939 Dual VSTA motherboard supposedly supports both 939 and AM2, even though there's no DDR2 slots. I've heard distinctly mixed reviews about that one. I'd either get the fastest Socket A cpu you can find via Ebay, or sell your RAM and start afresh. Sucks, doesn't it?

The DDR2 memory slots are on the AM2 upgrade add in board.

http://www.ocinside.de/html/results/mainboard_asrock_939sli32_esata2.html
a b V Motherboard
February 8, 2007 3:30:49 AM

Like your avatar! :wink:
February 8, 2007 3:30:52 AM

i agree about possibly needing to upgrade your PSU, because depending on what parts you purchase, your current PSU may not be able to provide sufficient amperages, which will lead to instabilities, or possibly not have the proper connections needed even (though thats less likely as far as connections, if your PSU is fairly current)
February 8, 2007 11:45:59 AM

I plan on buying a new power supply for my new case.
I am not sure what to get yet...
a b V Motherboard
August 15, 2008 9:51:56 PM

Good:1

Aerocool
AMS
Antec
Astec
AOpen
Asus
Channel Well
Cooler Master
Corsair
E-Power
Enermax
Enlight
Fortron Source
HEC
Hi-Power
HiperPower
Jeantech
Mad Dog
Mushkin
NSpire
OCZ
PCMCIS
PC Power & Cooling
PowerMan
Seasonic
SilenX
Silverstone
Sparklepower
Tagan
Thermaltake
TTGI/SuperFlower
Verax
Zalman
Xclio

Bad:

Achieve
Allied
Apevia (formerly Aspire, same quality)
Bestec
Codegen
CoolMax
Cyberzone
DEER
Dragon
Eagle Tech
EYE-T
Greenline
HIPRO
JSP-tech
KingStar
Kingwin
L&C
Linkworld
Okia
Orion
PowerMagic
PowerTek
PowerUp
Powmax
Q-Tec
Raidmax
Rosewill
Skyhawk
Startech
Turbolink
Ultra
Vantec
Win

Not Enough Info:
AGPB
Ahanix
Dynapower USA
Levicom
Soyo
a c 435 V Motherboard
August 16, 2008 1:42:06 PM

I'd go for the asrock dual vsta or similar board and use a core2 duo, such as the e2200 or e4500. This board will work with ddr or ddr2, but only has 2 slots for each type. One version of it is only $33 shipped at 3btech.com.
!