Your question

Where are the SATA DVD+/-RW Drives?

Last response: in Storage
February 7, 2007 11:59:43 PM

Just wondering, ive only found 3.

Lite-On
Samsung
Plextor

Are there any others than that, and if not which out of those three would be the best, i was thinking of going with the Sammy since its got lightscribe and its only couple bux more than the Lite-On

Dunno though, any reccomendations?

Thanks

More about : sata dvd drives

February 8, 2007 2:41:25 AM

holy crap you found some... I looked for a bit, but couldn't find any as I was wondering that too.

I got a motherboard now that still has IDE connectors for an IDE drive though..

Personally I'd go the Sammy with Lightscribe, unless you can find a Lite-On wtih it.

Plextor's are great quality.. just the price is "ugh"
February 8, 2007 2:57:13 AM

yea i found the Liteon for 35.99 and i dont really care about lightscribe so ill get it

and yea plextors are great, but i dont burn ENOUGH to justify paying 4x the price of the liteon

now if i could just find a black SATA DVD-ROM for my second drive....
Related resources
February 8, 2007 3:04:38 AM

Quote:
holy crap you found some... I looked for a bit, but couldn't find any as I was wondering that too.

I got a motherboard now that still has IDE connectors for an IDE drive though..

Personally I'd go the Sammy with Lightscribe, unless you can find a Lite-On wtih it.

Plextor's are great quality.. just the price is "ugh"

Yeah the drives should be more available now as HP and other OEM's have started using them rather than IDE's.

*Shrug* Litescribe media is expensive for what it is, I have lightscribe and i've used it matbe four times ;) 
February 19, 2007 7:53:17 PM

light scribe media isn't so bad.
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?Product...
a 30 pack of light scribe media goes for 30 - 10 MBR = 20 :)  and of course it has free shipping.

edit: plextor should be ashamed of themselves! a burner over 100 dollars ... are they out of their minds? someone tell me whats soo special about it.
February 20, 2007 12:06:24 AM

yea im still debating between the sammy dvd sata burner and the lite on but as my secondary drive ive also found a sata dvd-rom by lite on for 27 shipped
February 20, 2007 3:25:26 AM

in response to pEEp, I think I found a couple DVD-ROM SATA drives on newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010100...

One is a Lite-On and the other is an Asus but both are back-ordered. Where did you find the one for $27 shipped??

For my build I was gonna go with a Plextor...but after thinking about it I convinced myself that saving $60 on a dvd burner is probably worth it, esp since I don't plan on doing a boatload of burning as it is. In fact, as cheap as the Samsung DVD burner is, I might just get the SATA dvd-rom and still come out about $20 cheaper.
February 20, 2007 4:06:36 AM

Quote:
in response to pEEp, I think I found a couple DVD-ROM SATA drives on newegg..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010100...

One is a Lite-On and the other is an Asus but both are back-ordered. Where did you find the one for $27 shipped??

For my build I was gonna go with a Plextor...but after thinking about it I convinced myself that saving $60 on a dvd burner is probably worth it, esp since I don't plan on doing a boatload of burning as it is. In fact, as cheap as the Samsung DVD burner is, I might just get the SATA dvd-rom and still come out about $20 cheaper.

eh, those cant burn dvds or cds... never get one of those unless you dont plan to burn anything..
February 20, 2007 4:16:38 AM

guy above me what are you talking about, i said secondary drive, its not suppopsed to burn

oh and i found it at zipzoomfly
they do free shipping on everything its a lite on and its 27 bux

i either searched dvd sata or dvd serial and it came up dont remember which though
February 20, 2007 5:15:03 AM

i never understood the point of having a second drive that doesnt burn when you can get a drive that reads and burns for the same price or 5-15 dollars higher.

ps: i never seen anyone burn a dvd or a cd while using the "secondary dvd rom drive" to watch movies on when the first drive can do it all...

why do people buy dvd-rom drives? ( i forgot why )
February 20, 2007 6:13:30 AM

People are buying DVD-rom drives because it helps prolong the life of your DVD Writer by not using it to read disks, but only to write them. It'a said that if you read disks with a DVD Writer or CD Writer it will die faster :roll:
February 20, 2007 12:13:48 PM

it will die how fast?

I have been having my sony dvd burner 8x for 2 years now and used it to read and write dvds. still hasn't failed me yet.

also

my parents got a very very old compaq computer with a 4x dvd burner that is 5 years old and is still burning and writing today ( checked to see if it was working today and it was!).

so im guessing when you say it will
Quote:
die faster
you mean that it will die within 6 years or more? by then you should get another burner because the one you have WILL be outdated and some new burner would be out fast than the one you have with some extra feautres we have not seen yet.
February 20, 2007 12:18:00 PM

My emoticon meant that I also don't believe that will die faster, but many think so. Maybe if you read hundreds of disks a day will have impact but else I don't think that will die faster.
February 20, 2007 12:35:19 PM

Quote:
My emoticon meant that I also don't believe that will die faster, but many think so. Maybe if you read hundreds of disks a day will have impact but else I don't think that will die faster.

oh okay gotcha :) 
February 20, 2007 1:31:36 PM

yea man we started out lookin at the available +/- drives but then were lookin for just plain old -rom drives for our secondaries

anyways no prob man

lata
February 20, 2007 1:50:01 PM

I have a Plextor PX-760SA SATA drive, and it is an amazing drive in terms of recording quaility.

I cant say that this is down to it being SATA however, as I'm sure the PATA version, the PX-760A, is the same.

There is also a PX-755SA, and I think an SATA version of the 716.
February 20, 2007 2:11:37 PM

CD and DVD burners were $1000 when they first came out. That's a big reason why people had a separate drive just for reading disks- less wear and tear on the expensive drive.

Now that DVD burners are $30, it doesn't matter much.

If I paid $600 for a blue-ray burner today, I wouldn't be using it for reading CD's either.
February 20, 2007 3:26:15 PM

Quote:
CD and DVD burners were $1000 when they first came out. That's a big reason why people had a separate drive just for reading disks- less wear and tear on the expensive drive.

If I paid $600 for a blue-ray burner today, I wouldn't be using it for reading CD's either.

hmm... good point.
February 20, 2007 3:47:52 PM

Quote:

hmm... good point.

No, not the best point, some people actually like to have a secondary drive to make copying disks less hassle, you dont have to wait for a temporary image file to be created, then swap discs and then let it burn
It has nothing to do with price now or then for me
February 20, 2007 5:41:44 PM

Quote:

hmm... good point.

No, not the best point, some people actually like to have a secondary drive to make copying disks less hassle, you dont have to wait for a temporary image file to be created, then swap discs and then let it burn
It has nothing to do with price now or then for me

I said A reason, not THE reason. Sheesh.
February 21, 2007 8:02:28 AM

I know people who run two burners simply to write twice as much in the same amount of time - the most notable one I know has made bootleg movies a serious trade. Apparently some drives - I'm guessing the cheaper 'no-name' variety - will die under heavy use. The eject mechanism or something apparently breaks due to wear.

So far I haven't yet heard of a drive just 'stop reading' or 'stop writing' due to age or usage.

The nastiest copy rig I've seen had one IDE DVD-ROM, one IDE HDD and four SATA DVD burners. Oh, and a small Network Attached Storage (NAS) box with about 2TB of space. Guy works with a lot of images, I'm guessing.
February 21, 2007 10:46:50 PM

people with real sense about bootleg business usually invest in duplicators
!