Sign in with
Your question

Tuniq 120 & eVGA 680i

Last response: in Overclocking
February 8, 2007 12:39:29 AM

Perhaps there is already a thread on this... I went back through 6 pages and could not find any. It is a sad day for me as I woke up to my computer shut down.

I never shut it down and I have an 8 minute UPS back-up 1400VA Opti ES. I went to reboot - got a glimps of a screen and poof... nothin. Checked everything - unhooked vid card, drives, yada yada...

I figured it was the Tuniq so I layed the box on its side... did a power up, and it turned on... turned it back upright... shut down.

I messed with the thing for about 3 hours... I just cant get it right... I had to modify (Twisted the metal till it broke off & took tin snips the fan edge) the Tuniq in the first place... The Northbridge Fan & HS will not allow a proper contact. I turned the tuniq sideways and it worked fine, but you cannot mount it that way.

So I am going to take the plunge and get a water cooler I think... But just to be Clear... I would suggest not pairing the Tuniq with an eVGA 680i Motherboard. Though the Tuniq was fantastic as far as performance, and I could not even detect that it was running - my Box was so Beautifully quiet.(to make up for a coffee grinder Raptor).

And... I just happen to have a used Tuniq I'll let go for $25 :D 

More about : tuniq 120 evga 680i

February 9, 2007 9:17:32 PM

Well i have been researching the fit of a Tuniq for a few days for my eVGA 680i before i buy one. I have found a few that have them installed on their 680i boards and only one mentioned clearance problems near the northbridge cooler. Attached are a few links of what i have found. If you still want to sell it, i am VERY interested assuming it isn't all banged up and none of the fins are damaged.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=286...

http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TO...

With a quote from the last link:

"Tuniq Tower has a slight issue, at least it did with me.
Backplate fits fine
Topside is fine
The fan chassis when dropped into the HSF contacts the 680i NB HS.
Basically I had to cut part of the fan chassis and connect the fan via 3 screws instead of 4. The chassis is very very close to clearing the NB HS but a slight modification was needed on my board."

whereas on that same thread another person said there was no modifications necessary. Let me know if you want to sell. Pics may help.
February 10, 2007 5:56:08 AM

Quote:
Well i have been researching the fit of a Tuniq for a few days for my eVGA 680i before i buy one. I have found a few that have them installed on their 680i boards and only one mentioned clearance problems near the northbridge cooler. Attached are a few links of what i have found. If you still want to sell it, i am VERY interested assuming it isn't all banged up and none of the fins are damaged.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=286...

With a quote from the last link:

"Tuniq Tower has a slight issue, at least it did with me.
Backplate fits fine
Topside is fine
The fan chassis when dropped into the HSF contacts the 680i NB HS.
Basically I had to cut part of the fan chassis and connect the fan via 3 screws instead of 4. The chassis is very very close to clearing the NB HS but a slight modification was needed on my board."

whereas on that same thread another person said there was no modifications necessary. Let me know if you want to sell. Pics may help.

I really don't see how they could have gotten it to fit correctly... it isn't a question of close... its a situation that they are in complete contact. There is a center pin that sticks up to guide the brace so both the brace and the heatsink remain in one place centered.

This position caused the tuniq to lift by a milimeter or so - and that was the end of that... I really want to keep it. After running it while the comp was on its side I was blown away - and compared to the QX6700 stock fan which has similar noise levels of an automobiles radiator fan... I imagine there is none better.

Well I took the pictures and lost the camera USB cable :cry:  I will get a new cable and post the pics here soon.
Related resources
February 11, 2007 7:47:23 PM

If you could, can you take pictures of the interference with the Tuniq and the motherboard? Maybe this will clear things up for me. I'm in no big hurry though
February 11, 2007 10:56:42 PM

Quote:
If you could, can you take pictures of the interference with the Tuniq and the motherboard? Maybe this will clear things up for me. I'm in no big hurry though

I currently have the stock HSF in the box now.... it would be quite the ordeal to try to put the tuniq back in, and for little reason.

If you have the eVGA 680i board, I would really advise against getting the tuniq. I know you have read it where some have gotten it to work, but it is pure luck on thier parts.

There is need for about 1/4 of an inch at the corner of the tuniq fan. I did try to install the tuniq upside down... with the flame pointing down... it would have worked if the weight wasn't too much for the board to handle... perhaps this is how some have gotten it to work.

I will have pics in a bit.
February 11, 2007 10:57:20 PM

A lot of cooling masters have talked about setting up some kinda suspension rig for the Tuniq... just throwing it out there.
February 11, 2007 11:09:12 PM

Scary thought for me... it seems the slightest tilt and the chip will overheat... one would have to be Damn precise with the suspension wires. Then there's the whole jarring the box thing and watching your comp shut down in the middle of something important...

Not to say it couldn't be done... I just wouldn't feel secure with it myself.
February 12, 2007 2:05:52 PM

Just throwing this out there, but have you considered alternate NB/SB heatsinks like the Thermalright HR-05? The SLI version is offset and may help clear this Tuniq. Doing a google search with Tuniq Tower and eVGA 680i as keywords brings up quite a few forums with people claiming no modifications except the backplate interfering with the capacitors. Not trying to argue with you and am just trying to help out. How long have you had the Tuniq? I'm probably gonna pass on the Tuniq, but if you really want to keep the Tuniq you may look at alternative NB/SB cooling options.

http://jab-tech.com/Jing-Ting-Forcetake-Chipforce-JTS-0...
February 12, 2007 2:33:36 PM

No I haven't considered changing NB cooling... I do like the stock eVGA solution. I will just save my OCing for another time... when I get tired of current performance... which will likely not be for a while as I have much room to spare. But thank you for your input. And if your hellbent on overclocking... i would suggest liquid, and be done.
February 12, 2007 11:18:27 PM

Hey no problem and good luck in the future. My goal is to get around 3.6-3.7Ghz out of an E6600 with as minimal volts as possible. I really don't have the $250 or so for a good watercooling system right now, which is why i'm looking at the top of the line air cooling that is around $50. Might go WC later, but my $$ is getting low with this build.

Actually, i think i will bite and buy that Tuniq off of you if it is still for sale. If it doesn't work on my mobo my younger brother could use it on his. Do you take Paypal? Also, i noticed that you trimmed the lower corner of the fan. Was there a metal bracket on that corner before to mount the fan? Was it basically a shelf that went the length of the fan along the bottom or was it just corner pieces? Just curious how that corner support was modified, as i only see the plastic of the fan where it was trimmed.

Edit: Looks like the brackets don't go along the bottom of the fan but rather on each side. So did you remove the one bracket on the side or did you trim the metal bracket off and then shaved the corner of the plastic fan? Also, do you still have the knob for the fan controller?
February 13, 2007 1:08:40 AM

The metal ran down the whole side and at the bottom where it comes out of the heat sink I trimmed it from there. There is where it was attached to the plastic fan. This only leaves one side to hold the fan in place, but it still works... And wire could be used if that made you uncomfortable.

As far as the fan goes it is a standard 120mm fan that you can get anywhere... but the fan has no structural damage and is 100% operable.

I have never used paypal, but I will investigate it and get back with you shortly.
February 15, 2007 10:54:02 AM

Would another form of payment be better? I can send a check if you would like. If you buy much off of ebay you almost have to have a paypal account, as sometimes that is all people accept for payment.
!