dougie

Distinguished
May 6, 2004

Hi

I have had a problem with random reboots for a while. Sometimes it is a
week between episodes, others 2 or three times a day. When the system
starts up again I allow it to go through the scandisk routine and it often
finds some lost bits of things.

Is there anyway that I can find who is causing these random reboots? I
thought that it may be caused by a loose AGP card caused by an installation
of new RAM- but I removed that and reseated it, but no luck. My wife
remembers this starting before I ever took the back off the machine anyway.

I would like to obtain a tool that could tell me what is wrong with this
system- pref a free one - as it may only be used once or twice.

Any suggestions? Does XP have a scandisk type program that will identify if
it is my HDD that is causing this?

--
___,
\o

/ \ . l
____________o

Use this article:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310560

"dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have had a problem with random reboots for a while. Sometimes it is a
> week between episodes, others 2 or three times a day. When the system
> starts up again I allow it to go through the scandisk routine and it often
> finds some lost bits of things.
>
> Is there anyway that I can find who is causing these random reboots? I
> thought that it may be caused by a loose AGP card caused by an
> installation of new RAM- but I removed that and reseated it, but no luck.
> My wife remembers this starting before I ever took the back off the
> machine anyway.
>
> I would like to obtain a tool that could tell me what is wrong with this
> system- pref a free one - as it may only be used once or twice.
>
> Any suggestions? Does XP have a scandisk type program that will identify
> if it is my HDD that is causing this?
>
> --
> ___,
> \o
> | |>
> / \ . l
> ____________o

Philo

"dougie" <queanbeyan@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have had a problem with random reboots for a while. Sometimes it is a
> week between episodes, others 2 or three times a day. When the system
> starts up again I allow it to go through the scandisk routine and it often
> finds some lost bits of things.
>
> Is there anyway that I can find who is causing these random reboots? I
> thought that it may be caused by a loose AGP card caused by an
installation
> of new RAM- but I removed that and reseated it, but no luck. My wife
> remembers this starting before I ever took the back off the machine
anyway.

> I would like to obtain a tool that could tell me what is wrong with this
> system- pref a free one - as it may only be used once or twice.
>
> Any suggestions? Does XP have a scandisk type program that will identify
if
> it is my HDD that is causing this?

here is one link:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

it has a good ram testing utility (free download)

also, if you want to test the harddrive
the website of the drive's mfg should have a free download of a diagnostic
utliltiy