Use Magic Device

Does anyone know how high a Use Magic Device skill rating allows a rogue
or bard to use any item s/he finds (assuming relevant weapon proficiency
feats and so on)?
4 answers Last reply
More about magic device

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 20:27:17 GMT, Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote:

    >Does anyone know how high a Use Magic Device skill rating allows a rogue
    >or bard to use any item s/he finds (assuming relevant weapon proficiency
    >feats and so on)?

    As with spells and wands, the more expensive the item the higher the
    UMD skill you need. I don't believe there's any limit to the value of
    an item and thus no limit to the possible cost.

    I was playing a wizard/thief with some non-wizard magic that I needed
    UMD to wear. I took the character into that dungeon generator module
    that doesn't give out the usual treasure but rather runes which
    enhance existing items. I enhanced my monk-only boots and suddenly
    they fell off every night. I could put them back on after buffing. I
    added a few more points of UMD to put a stop to that.

    Kish <Kish_K@pacbell.net> wrote in

    > Does anyone know how high a Use Magic Device skill rating allows a
    > rogue or bard to use any item s/he finds (assuming relevant weapon
    > proficiency feats and so on)?

    I finally got a thief with UMD maxed, and skill focused, and epic skill
    focused, until he got into the 40's on the UMD skill, and there wasn't
    any item he couldn't use in HOU. I was going for Lavoerna's Mace (of
    Disruption), and it took all of those points in UMD to get it to work.

    --
    John Viveiros
    xxjjv4xx@prodigy.net

    "Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I was playing a wizard/thief with some non-wizard magic that I needed
    > UMD to wear. I took the character into that dungeon generator module
    > that doesn't give out the usual treasure but rather runes which
    > enhance existing items.

    Which module is this?

    --
    Brian Perler bperler@sprynet.com
    "People who want to share their religious views with you almost never want

    On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 03:07:57 GMT, "OTL" <bperler@sprynet.com> wrote:

    >"Loren Pechtel" <lorenpechtel@removethis.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> I was playing a wizard/thief with some non-wizard magic that I needed
    >> UMD to wear. I took the character into that dungeon generator module
    >> that doesn't give out the usual treasure but rather runes which
    >> enhance existing items.
    >
    >Which module is this?

    I don't remember what it's called. It's got a bunch of rooms that
    will be randomly connected into a dungeon and monsters supposedly (it
    doesn't work too well for high level magic users) consistent with your
    level are added to each room.

    It's also got a bug in town where if you have a high enough detect
    traps skill you can rack up huge amounts of xp for just walking back
    and forth through a buggy area.

Games Devices Video Games