Salvaging "secured" partition after a fresh install and re..

this is a complicated problem, and would very thankful, as
well as thoroughly impressed if someone could help me out.

i have a partition that i stored data in, and changed the
permission to only allow me (the admin) to access it.
everyone else was denied access.

but then i formated the partition with the OS and
reinstalled win2000, etc etc, but found that the partition
that was only permitted access by admin, was now kinda
locked. KINDA.

after changing the ownership and all that jazz back to me,
the admin, all the files in the directory can be accessed
and read, BUT they are all hidden and registered as system
protected files.

so i can't change the properties of these files so they
aren't unhidden (ie. the check box is shaded grey). the
icons also have this strange black box with a white circle
with something in it at the bottom left corner.

anyone have any idea what that icon means, and how i can
change these files back to normal files, and not as system
protected hidden files???

thanksssss

I have never had that happen but I would first run Check Disk on that drive to
see if it can detect and fix any problems. If that does not help try using the
attrib command to reset file attributes. At the command prompt use attrib /? to
find more info. For instance go into the root folder and use attrib and attrib
/s /d to display attributes. To try and remove the attributes try "attrib -h -s
/s /d " . --- Steve