My specs
E6600
geforce 8800 gtx
seagate 7200 sata hd
asus p5b mobo
2 gig corsair 800 mhz ram
antec 550 w ps
Windows Vista upgrade to windows media center

I'm guessing these are small things that I jus don't know how to fix but when I boot up sometimes it will not go all the way to windows but just have the scroll cursor in the top left screen blinking, if I reboot it will instantly goto windows after asking whether or not I would like to start in safe mode (I do not have to to get into windows.)

Another crazy thing that happens is when I shut off the comp I get this loud buzz as if the system is hung or something and the only way to get the computer system to stop is to cut the off switch on the power supply.

I was receiving a CPU Fan error message prior to booting today and could hit f1 and resume. This being my first computer I'm a bit inexperienced, I checked to make sure everything was done proper to the installation book of the cpu and heatsink and everything looks fasted down well.

Another tid bit is my cpu temperature ranges from 45-50 C and case is at about 30-35 C. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
well, that's more or less obvious.

My case is worse. I hear some some kinda high-pitched buzz just at the edge of my hearing range, and can't tell what's making it. It's coming from the case, and is caused by anything i do: click the mouse, open/resize windows, etc. starting 3dmore in ATItool makes it kinda constant.
Well, since I only upgraded 2 parts lately: PSU and video card, I suspect one of them.

should I re-enable the spread spectrums in case its some magnetic interference?

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
I thought mine was the only one that had that hum... anyway my computer does the same thing but just much qieter like just hearable, but it is definetly there especially when i resize windows and such. mine does it most in PSP (paint shop not sony). I also have an ati video card, (i assume you do because atitool) anyway help this helps to narrow down the problem..

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Yep Radeon, mines an abit X800XT (all in wonder). maybe the noise is worse with newer models? what models yours?

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
i wonder if std ati's do it two or if other companies use non standard fans ect? Anyway now we know what the sound is..

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
i can swear its not the fans that are to blame. (had it with stock and with present zm vf-900) I get crazy ideas that Radeon's emit some signals at a frequecny that affect the pc speaker, I'll ty disabling it when i get home and see how it goes.

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
My pc speaker blew up in an accident. HAHAHA the days... anyway that doesnt fix it but one of my mates cant hear it so you might be onto something, maybe ultrasonic vibrations throught the copper heat sink, incredibly close together fins.

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
umm, according to a recent study, North American males lose about 20% of their hearing by the time they're out of college. (loud music and mp3/cd players take their toll). And those 20% refer mainly to the upper limit of the frequencies that an ear picks up.

Plus, the range narrows naturally as we age. (ever hear about those ringtones that kids use at schools in UK? Adults can't hear those.)

yay

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2007
Yeah. only i have that 17000 hz ringtone on my pc, il send you it if you want. But i can hear that. So maybe you should be able to to.

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
Good grief....My pc didn't have any annoying sound whatsoever, but after you guys discussed about that ringtone, I downloaded it and test it.You know what?After listening to them svrl times,the sound just there in my ears, in my head.....AAARRRRRGGGGHHHH :!: :!: :!: It makes me crazy........

ZozZoz

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2006
just like those tunes that germans call "OhrWurm" (earworm), you can't get them out of your head... "my hump my hump my hump" :lol:

aBg_rOnGak

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2006
I mean D**N man! i've to get myself cafergot (got migrain) n eat one (may be two,but=overdose, but if i have to.....).About this orhwurm, what's that?

@OP:How's your pc?Any improvements :?:

Edit:Nvm,got it @ Wikipedia