Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

how-to multiplayer question: please help!

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:32:31 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

I'm sure this has been asked a bazillion times, so forgive me, but I've
perused this newsgroup and find nothing currently posted on it.
I've played the game all the way through the original storyline years ago,
came back to play multiplayer with some friends. And we cannot get it to
work. I have contacted Bioware and read everything I could on ports, UDP,
etc, but still cannot connect with my friends. Can someone please help me,
or point me towards some solid advice/walkthrough/white paper/SOMETHING!
We are all using version 1.65 (original game, not expansions), all have
taken our firewalls down, have configured our routers to allow ports 5120-
5300 to function as UDP, even opened up the other suggested ports to allow
the games to be seen on GameSpy. We cannot see our friends'games to join,
cannot connect directly, even though we know each other's IP address.
We're fairly computer literate people, but we're stumped! Obviously many of
you have gotten this to work just fine, so please help a brother out!
TIA,
Jack

More about : multiplayer question

Anonymous
April 15, 2005 6:32:32 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Current Resident" <junkkmailpost@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9638E5D5C2377junkkmailcincirrcom@65.24.3.139...
> I'm sure this has been asked a bazillion times, so forgive me, but I've
> perused this newsgroup and find nothing currently posted on it.
> I've played the game all the way through the original storyline years ago,
> came back to play multiplayer with some friends. And we cannot get it to
> work. I have contacted Bioware and read everything I could on ports, UDP,
> etc, but still cannot connect with my friends. Can someone please help me,
> or point me towards some solid advice/walkthrough/white paper/SOMETHING!
> We are all using version 1.65 (original game, not expansions), all have
> taken our firewalls down, have configured our routers to allow ports 5120-
> 5300 to function as UDP, even opened up the other suggested ports to allow
> the games to be seen on GameSpy. We cannot see our friends'games to join,
> cannot connect directly, even though we know each other's IP address.
> We're fairly computer literate people, but we're stumped! Obviously many
> of
> you have gotten this to work just fine, so please help a brother out!
> TIA,
> Jack


Have you tried disabling the firewall or setting your computer to DMZ?
That would help you eliminate one set of potential problems and see if your
computer/game settings are correct. Once you have it working without a
firewall you can start the firewall and know you only have to adjust its
settings.



P
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:16:15 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Peridot" <peridotnot@notnoticeus.us> wrote in
news:_aG7e.166$mS1.71@okepread04:


>
>
> Have you tried disabling the firewall or setting your computer to DMZ?
> That would help you eliminate one set of potential problems and see if
> your computer/game settings are correct. Once you have it working
> without a firewall you can start the firewall and know you only have
> to adjust its settings.
>
>
>
> P
>
>
>

Yes, have disabled the firewall completely for just the reasons you
state (we have all disabled our respective firewalls). No improvement.
Any other ideas? Thanks for the response!
Related resources
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:16:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Current Resident" <junkkmailpost@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9638ED464D24Cjunkkmailcincirrcom@65.24.3.143...
> "Peridot" <peridotnot@notnoticeus.us> wrote in
> news:_aG7e.166$mS1.71@okepread04:
]
>>
>>
>
> Yes, have disabled the firewall completely for just the reasons you
> state (we have all disabled our respective firewalls). No improvement.
> Any other ideas? Thanks for the response!

Do you have a static IP for the router connected to your server or is it
assigned by your ISP? The client computers need to look for the WAN IP of
the router, not the LAN IP. With your firewall down and the server/host
running, clients should be able to connect through the router IP.


P
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:49:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

How is the mod itself being served? NWN Dedicated server?
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 2:11:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Mailer Deamon" <none@anywhere.net> wrote in
news:11606p41d69b45e@corp.supernews.com:

> How is the mod itself being served? NWN Dedicated server?
>
>
>

I'm afraid I don't understand the question. One of us is acting as server,
trying to bypass using someone else's server. Is that what you meant?
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:11:07 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Current Resident" <junkkmailpost@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
news:Xns9639B9A59677Djunkkmailcincirrcom@65.24.3.143...
> "Mailer Deamon" <none@anywhere.net> wrote in
> news:11606p41d69b45e@corp.supernews.com:
>
>> How is the mod itself being served? NWN Dedicated server?
>>
>>
>>
>
> I'm afraid I don't understand the question. One of us is acting as server,
> trying to bypass using someone else's server. Is that what you meant?


You essentially have two options for hosting a game. You can host a
multiplayer game through the regular game or you can run a standalone
server. The server is normally installed in the NWN directory when you
install the game. Look for nwserver.exe. I'm told there are advantages to
using the dedicated server but you need an extra computer to act as server.
I think it's possible to run both the server and the regular game on the
same computer but I don't know what that does to performance.


P
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:11:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Peridot" <peridotnot@notnoticeus.us> wrote in message
news:Ef08e.1593$mS1.813@okepread04...
>
> "Current Resident" <junkkmailpost@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns9639B9A59677Djunkkmailcincirrcom@65.24.3.143...
> > "Mailer Deamon" <none@anywhere.net> wrote in
> > news:11606p41d69b45e@corp.supernews.com:
> >
>> I'm told there are advantages to
> using the dedicated server but you need an extra computer to act as
server.
> I think it's possible to run both the server and the regular game on the
> same computer but I don't know what that does to performance.
>
>
> P
>
>

You dont need another computer to run dedicated server. But if you plan to
play from the same conputer, I suggest you have a high end computer to do
it. I can run dedicated server from my own computer and play at the same
time.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 3:50:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.neverwinter-nights (More info?)

"Mailer Deamon" <none@anywhere.net> wrote in message
news:1161cgpepssh582@corp.supernews.com...
>
> "Peridot" <peridotnot@notnoticeus.us> wrote in message
> news:Ef08e.1593$mS1.813@okepread04...
>>
>> "Current Resident" <junkkmailpost@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
>> news:Xns9639B9A59677Djunkkmailcincirrcom@65.24.3.143...
>> > "Mailer Deamon" <none@anywhere.net> wrote in
>> > news:11606p41d69b45e@corp.supernews.com:
>> >
>>> I'm told there are advantages to
>> using the dedicated server but you need an extra computer to act as
> server.
>> I think it's possible to run both the server and the regular game on the
>> same computer but I don't know what that does to performance.
>>
>>
>> P
>>
>>
>
> You dont need another computer to run dedicated server. But if you plan to
> play from the same conputer, I suggest you have a high end computer to do
> it. I can run dedicated server from my own computer and play at the same
> time.
>
>
I tried running both on a 1.6Ghz AMD system with 512MB and it seemed to do
fine.



P
!