Athlon 64 3200+ cooling problems

erkokite

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2006
I have an athlon 64 3200+. Lately I've been noticing random shutdowns, leading me to believe I have a PS or cooling problem. I have a stock cooler on a retail proc. I have a digital cpu temerature monitor that is hooked up to the fins on my heatsink. It usually ranges from 25 to 35 C. However, in the bios, it says my CPU is running at 91 C, which is close to the boiling point of water. The meter says 31 C. The heatsink is generally a bit warm to the touch when the meter reads 30 C. Right now, it reads 26 C, and is cool to the touch. I'm wondering if I have a bad thermometer on the mobo, or if it is a bios issue, or just a crappy PS and not a thermal problem at all. Any ideas?

RandMcnally

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2006
Your CPU is experiencing what Urbandictionary calls:

Casual Undertime
Getting paid for forty hours for the week when one has worked less than forty hours for the week. It is best when casual undertime is achieved by legitimate means, such as leaving early for the 4th of July Holiday with your bosses permission.

Also See

Puttin In work
1. to shank a fellow prisnor
2. to kill in prison to improve one's reputation

It's your motherboard.

JMecc

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
Maybe your thermal interface material (thermal paste) is not well applied and thus not adequately transferring the heat from your cpu to your heat sink.

Jo